Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

9 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

When you consider the average high in July (ORH) is 2* warmer than the average high in August, you can easily see the need for greater departures to achieve the warmer conditions of July.

On the topic of the seasonal breaking of summer's back, the sun's now setting before 8:00 beginning today as the rate of daytime loss as really ramped up to 2:20/day.  We'll have an additional daytime loss of 59 minutes between today and the end of the month.  I suspect Ray's beginning to compile thoughts for his winter outlook......

August has such a different summer vibe. The number of leaves in the pool are the first indication to me that its slowly winding down. Sad

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Is this it for the day or will we still get showers through 6pm? I've got a bike ride at 6 down in PWM.

That cold front is entering eastern NY right now, What happens to it by the time it gets here is a guess, But i think we could see more this evening.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

We drink

6B374099-3266-47F8-92A5-C8BF596A0304.png

We probably 7-10 (though Augusta is getting some.)

Western region must just do their own thing. I don't think the resolution of the grids is even down to that precision anyway. We don't waste our time with insignificant digits in the east.

Two decimal points gets a scale of about 4,000' by 3,000'.  Five decimals would be almost at arm's length; if meteorology truly achieves that precision/accuracy, they'll be running the wx, not forecasting it.  :o

On 8/7/2019 at 9:53 PM, SnoSki14 said:

Lately inactive hurricane seasons were big snow producers for the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic (2009, 2013, 2014) and big hurricane seasons like 2011/2012/2018 were the opposite.

Is there any correlation or just random coincidences. 

Are we forgetting about 1995-1996 and 2004-2005?