Total Members
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu

August 2019 Discussion

7 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

ALY mentions CSTAR research all the time in their cold season AFD's

There is some great CSTAR research out there. The ensemble sensitivity stuff started out as CSTAR. 

5 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

40 minutes west of ALB got crushed after that early March 2018 storm...looks like 3ft-ish--near Cobbleskill NY...Deform delight I would assume rotted for a bit over this area

Deep snow in Cobleskill, NY, Schoharie County, Friday March 2, 2018

I know it's snow talk but snow climo discussion is always fun. 

The interesting part is how much of a big storm total spot that area is west of Albany.  The inhabited elevations of 1,000-2,200ft in the Catskills and southern Adirondacks (and even in the Mohawk Valley) can put up some big Tahoe-esque totals that will give anyone on the East Coast a run for their money.

It's an underrated "big storm" zone.  And many of the storms are QPF rich bombs.  They've had their share of 20"+ bombs.

Christmas 2002.

XUFXY9H.jpg

October 2008

uFTQH3D.jpg

February 26, 2010... entire 5-day total in the following image.

zYbm4ou.jpg

4-5 foot heavy dense snowfall in the 2010 blitz.

EuqDpbi.jpg

February 2007... jackpot.

JnXuJsk.jpg

March 2018...

The area around Cobleskill crushes big snowstorms.  So many 30"+ totals in the past 20 years there.  This event was 40" in that area!

This storm is remarkable in the extent of 20-40” totals.

March2_NWS_Snow.png

• Like 2

Yea, that area is gold for interior ULL swings. If the 500mb low isn’t over the BM, it’s usually over my head rotting pivots for them. There was March 2016 too Freak...where Stowe got 50”? That area west of ALB put up 30 spots as well. Growing up in NJ in the 80s and 90s, missing every big winter storm, all I saw on TWC was upstate NY getting crushed over and over again. Earlier this decade they’ve been relatively screwed as we’ve seen EMA cash but you can see past couple winters the big interior snows start to return. 

One month of deep summer basically this year. August was nice overall with lots of sun and temps a hair AN. Augdewst it was not. Cooler than I expected. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

One month of deep summer basically this year. August was nice overall with lots of sun and temps a hair AN. Augdewst it was not. Cooler than I expected. 

Yeah--pretty ho-hum.  Hopefully winter will be something a bit more notable.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

August was almost perfect. Golf courses in Tip-Top shape. What more could you ask ?

• Like 1

We autumn.  Long range NWS forecast has 60-65F highs for later next week.  Prob start seeing some lows in the 30s.

Thursday....Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 60s. 

Friday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 60s.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, dendrite said:

It’s not like the picnic tables but at least it’s rare for me to go over a week without a decent drink.

Yeah, the benefit of the orographics is frequently discussed with respect to snowfall, but the mountains are permanently there, helping with moisture throughout the year.  At relatively similar elevations, my data show that we seem to average 25%-50% more rainfall than BTV to the west, or MPV to the east.  Coastal has expressed his distaste for the potential clouds associated with the mountains, but it’s hard to have it both ways when it comes to moisture.  If you want predominantly sunny weather, you’re typically going to have to deal with irrigation or vegetation suffering through dry periods.  Around here, one rarely has to even think of watering to keep the grass green.  My more typical struggle is finding a large enough window for a nice dry mowing, but this summer has been great – plenty of moisture and plenty of dry windows as well.

47 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

We warned almost a month ago to do this.  Some just wouldn't listen.

People tried so very hard to tell them, but when you have a specific climate-defying troll script that you’re required to follow, I guess you have to keep going until the whole thing eventually crumbles around you and you’re left in a pile of senseless dust.  Of all the fancy slogans the dew crew had for the month, the one that really ended up fitting best was “Augbust”.

31AUG19A.jpg

• Like 1

August was really spectacular here.  Granted, I was out of town for 9 days, but the data supports my statement.  Much lower dews and temps than I thought.  Lots of bluebird days.  Lawn is in amazing (if overgrown) shape.  House isn't manky, tomatoes up the wazoo (47 tomatoes from one plant so far and continuing to pic!)

Let's do this again in September

What a forecast bust today.  

Today...Patchy dense fog this morning. Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Its been like 100% clouds pretty much all day.  

One CLR observation at 7am but CAA and mountains... not gonna be all sun.  We wish we were in SNE. 

366BA29E-4CDC-4362-BC73-242CB3D5DC63.jpeg.e402a880fc7fad1079313cb57cf4ec2c.jpeg

Fall is in the air.  Widespread 60s and dry dews. 

2AEAFFA8-99D8-41C7-8BB4-ACA83B7B8003.thumb.png.5838a5b9ea9f899d8e27b86d151f6b6e.png

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, the benefit of the orographics is frequently discussed with respect to snowfall, but the mountains are permanently there, helping with moisture throughout the year.  At relatively similar elevations, my data show that we seem to average 25%-50% more rainfall than BTV to the west, or MPV to the east.  Coastal has expressed his distaste for the potential clouds associated with the mountains, but it’s hard to have it both ways when it comes to moisture.  If you want predominantly sunny weather, you’re typically going to have to deal with irrigation or vegetation suffering through dry periods.  Around here, one rarely has to even think of watering to keep the grass green.  My more typical struggle is finding a large enough window for a nice dry mowing, but this summer has been great – plenty of moisture and plenty of dry windows as well.

A little of both is ok. But when the sun is only out from 6a-8a during the summer there, that's going to be tough to take. 

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Today...Patchy dense fog this morning. Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

One CLR observation at 7am but CAA and mountains... not gonna be all sun.  We wish we were in SNE. 

2AEAFFA8-99D8-41C7-8BB4-ACA83B7B8003.thumb.png.5838a5b9ea9f899d8e27b86d151f6b6e.png

I have to head back north later. What a disaster. 

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

People tried so very hard to tell them, but when you have a specific climate-defying troll script that you’re required to follow, I guess you have to keep going until the whole thing eventually crumbles around you and you’re left in a pile of senseless dust.  Of all the fancy slogans the dew crew had for the month, the one that really ended up fitting best was “Augbust”.

31AUG19A.jpg

You need to post a few more jabs here or there. I find them secretly amusing. Just be kind to us coastal folk in the winter. 

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice.

A real beauty here in Wormtown. 73/46 (72 at ORH)

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I was thinking the same. Cool and cloudy since my “beautiful morning” post. 

46 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I have to head back north later. What a disaster. 

Yeah not what was expected today.  I want some deep blue views to MWN.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah not what was expected today.  I want some deep blue views to MWN.

Even I can’t see MWN today lol :)

Makes me miss my wood stove. Moved into my new house (picture attached) and we are putting in a heating fireplace but they start on Tuesday

0CED4791-E255-4A06-881B-471190447140.jpeg

6 minutes ago, alex said:

Even I can’t see MWN today lol :)

Makes me miss my wood stove. Moved into my new house (picture attached) and we are putting in a heating fireplace but they start on Tuesday

0CED4791-E255-4A06-881B-471190447140.jpeg

Damn, now that’s a mountain cabin.  Something like that might run ya 7 figures in Stowe lol.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Damn, now that’s a mountain cabin.  Something like that might run ya 7 figures in Stowe lol.

Haha yes. Bretton Woods is not quite as expensive (plus we built it on our land, so we have 3 rentals and our house on the same 32 acre lot).  It’s been under construction for 2 years. I’m so over it, but the end product is pretty close to my dream home. The logs are 18” wide - we had to get them from Idaho. 

The reason I picked this plan was because of all the rooflines. Can’t wait to see it covered in snow. :weenie:

• Like 2

Damn Alex, nice pad. Love the porch on that thing. I'd spend all day out there. 

Well done.