Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

58 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

40 minutes west of ALB got crushed after that early March 2018 storm...looks like 3ft-ish--near Cobbleskill NY...Deform delight I would assume rotted for a bit over this area

Deep snow in Cobleskill, NY, Schoharie County, Friday March 2, 2018

Yeah that area is very good but it's pretty far west. I was mostly talking areas within a stones throw of ALB like Duanesburg. But once you get up onto that big helderberg plateau area it's all pretty good. Some of those exposed areas have crap retention though. It was always weird driving through there in winter....you'd be in a good spot and see big snow pack and then an exposed area even if it's high elevation may have bare ground everywhere. The CAD gets much stronger to the north like off to the west and northwest of Saratoga. 

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that area is very good but it's pretty far west. I was mostly talking areas within a stones throw of ALB like Duanesburg. But once you get up onto that big helderberg plateau area it's all pretty good. Some of those exposed areas have crap retention though. It was always weird driving through there in winter....you'd be in a good spot and see big snow pack and then an exposed area even if it's high elevation may have bare ground everywhere. The CAD gets much stronger to the north like off to the west and northwest of Saratoga. 

Met friend of mine that I interned with lived in Delanson in the 90s and always seemed to do well.

Your bare spots comment reminds me of places around here only it's exposed areas after cutters.  With nothing to stop warm air it flows right up the Willimantic River Valley but other places retain snow better.  It's why I think elevated valleys are the best of both worlds.

3 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Met friend of mine that I interned with lived in Delanson in the 90s and always seemed to do well.

Your bare spots comment reminds me of places around here only it's exposed areas after cutters.  With nothing to stop warm air it flows right up the Willimantic River Valley but other places retain snow better.  It's why I think elevated valleys are the best of both worlds.

Yeah, I'm in the small,  tight, Green River Valley so I radiate very well and have amazing snow retention but I don't have the elevation to cash in.  If we were to stay in this area, MPM's old neighborhood up in Shelburne had the elevation and some decent retention and delightfully cool summer temps.  However, I think the snow "cash in" zones are probably a bit further East in Shutesbury and Petersham where you can be well over 1000' and still get the coastal deforms.  Savoy is pretty awesome as is the area of Heath I had a property offered to me but they still don't make the cut sometimes for many of the major coastals.  Yes, of course Savoy has the crazy 2000'+ elevation to be a winter wonderland but that West Quabbin high elevation territory is gold!  However, it is also in the middle of nowhere relatively speaking for those who don't work from home and actually need to travel and have kids that enjoy seeing friends.

5 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

40 minutes west of ALB got crushed after that early March 2018 storm...looks like 3ft-ish--near Cobbleskill NY...Deform delight I would assume rotted for a bit over this area

Deep snow in Cobleskill, NY, Schoharie County, Friday March 2, 2018

I know it's snow talk but snow climo discussion is always fun. 

The interesting part is how much of a big storm total spot that area is west of Albany.  The inhabited elevations of 1,000-2,200ft in the Catskills and southern Adirondacks (and even in the Mohawk Valley) can put up some big Tahoe-esque totals that will give anyone on the East Coast a run for their money.

It's an underrated "big storm" zone.  And many of the storms are QPF rich bombs.  They've had their share of 20"+ bombs.

Christmas 2002.

XUFXY9H.jpg

October 2008

uFTQH3D.jpg

February 26, 2010... entire 5-day total in the following image.

zYbm4ou.jpg

4-5 foot heavy dense snowfall in the 2010 blitz.

EuqDpbi.jpg

February 2007... jackpot.

JnXuJsk.jpg

March 2018...

The area around Cobleskill crushes big snowstorms.  So many 30"+ totals in the past 20 years there.  This event was 40" in that area!

This storm is remarkable in the extent of 20-40” totals.

March2_NWS_Snow.png

• Like 2

Yea, that area is gold for interior ULL swings. If the 500mb low isn’t over the BM, it’s usually over my head rotting pivots for them. There was March 2016 too Freak...where Stowe got 50”? That area west of ALB put up 30 spots as well. Growing up in NJ in the 80s and 90s, missing every big winter storm, all I saw on TWC was upstate NY getting crushed over and over again. Earlier this decade they’ve been relatively screwed as we’ve seen EMA cash but you can see past couple winters the big interior snows start to return. 

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, dendrite said:

It’s not like the picnic tables but at least it’s rare for me to go over a week without a decent drink.

Yeah, the benefit of the orographics is frequently discussed with respect to snowfall, but the mountains are permanently there, helping with moisture throughout the year.  At relatively similar elevations, my data show that we seem to average 25%-50% more rainfall than BTV to the west, or MPV to the east.  Coastal has expressed his distaste for the potential clouds associated with the mountains, but it’s hard to have it both ways when it comes to moisture.  If you want predominantly sunny weather, you’re typically going to have to deal with irrigation or vegetation suffering through dry periods.  Around here, one rarely has to even think of watering to keep the grass green.  My more typical struggle is finding a large enough window for a nice dry mowing, but this summer has been great – plenty of moisture and plenty of dry windows as well.

47 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

We warned almost a month ago to do this.  Some just wouldn't listen.

People tried so very hard to tell them, but when you have a specific climate-defying troll script that you’re required to follow, I guess you have to keep going until the whole thing eventually crumbles around you and you’re left in a pile of senseless dust.  Of all the fancy slogans the dew crew had for the month, the one that really ended up fitting best was “Augbust”.

31AUG19A.jpg

• Like 1

August was really spectacular here.  Granted, I was out of town for 9 days, but the data supports my statement.  Much lower dews and temps than I thought.  Lots of bluebird days.  Lawn is in amazing (if overgrown) shape.  House isn't manky, tomatoes up the wazoo (47 tomatoes from one plant so far and continuing to pic!)

Let's do this again in September

What a forecast bust today.  

Today...Patchy dense fog this morning. Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Its been like 100% clouds pretty much all day.  

One CLR observation at 7am but CAA and mountains... not gonna be all sun.  We wish we were in SNE. 

366BA29E-4CDC-4362-BC73-242CB3D5DC63.jpeg.e402a880fc7fad1079313cb57cf4ec2c.jpeg

Fall is in the air.  Widespread 60s and dry dews. 

2AEAFFA8-99D8-41C7-8BB4-ACA83B7B8003.thumb.png.5838a5b9ea9f899d8e27b86d151f6b6e.png

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, the benefit of the orographics is frequently discussed with respect to snowfall, but the mountains are permanently there, helping with moisture throughout the year.  At relatively similar elevations, my data show that we seem to average 25%-50% more rainfall than BTV to the west, or MPV to the east.  Coastal has expressed his distaste for the potential clouds associated with the mountains, but it’s hard to have it both ways when it comes to moisture.  If you want predominantly sunny weather, you’re typically going to have to deal with irrigation or vegetation suffering through dry periods.  Around here, one rarely has to even think of watering to keep the grass green.  My more typical struggle is finding a large enough window for a nice dry mowing, but this summer has been great – plenty of moisture and plenty of dry windows as well.

A little of both is ok. But when the sun is only out from 6a-8a during the summer there, that's going to be tough to take. 

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Today...Patchy dense fog this morning. Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 60s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

One CLR observation at 7am but CAA and mountains... not gonna be all sun.  We wish we were in SNE. 

2AEAFFA8-99D8-41C7-8BB4-ACA83B7B8003.thumb.png.5838a5b9ea9f899d8e27b86d151f6b6e.png

I have to head back north later. What a disaster. 

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

People tried so very hard to tell them, but when you have a specific climate-defying troll script that you’re required to follow, I guess you have to keep going until the whole thing eventually crumbles around you and you’re left in a pile of senseless dust.  Of all the fancy slogans the dew crew had for the month, the one that really ended up fitting best was “Augbust”.

31AUG19A.jpg

You need to post a few more jabs here or there. I find them secretly amusing. Just be kind to us coastal folk in the winter. 

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice.

A real beauty here in Wormtown. 73/46 (72 at ORH)

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I was thinking the same. Cool and cloudy since my “beautiful morning” post.