Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

4 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

The weak ones seem to go early, but there are a lot of healthy ones right now showing signs....

Very true which is why I’m surprised also to see these healthy trees starting already and then poison ivy is several weeks earlier than normal. I’ve often wonder how many citidiots come up here in the fall and collect the pretty red leaves not realizing it’s not a maple but poison ivy LOL

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Very true which is why I’m surprised also to see these healthy trees starting already and then poison ivy is several weeks earlier than normal. I’ve often wonder how many citidiots come up here in the fall and collect the pretty red leaves not realizing it’s not a maple but poison ivy LOL

Lol....Had to look, ivy is yellowing here, nothing red yet, at least in my yard. I have a ton of green tomatoes that do not like the cold nights, we definitely need some heat and humidity for September or they will end up going to waste...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah shouldn’t be bad. Meanwhile looks like crap for you guys Sunday and Monday. The one time where you can have it.

You think Sunday’s that bad? Monday should be beautiful. Maybe we can pull off some afternoon 50s with the rain.

52 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

The weak ones seem to go early, but there are a lot of healthy ones right now showing signs....

You can see a lot of different ones showing some color here - mostly trees that aren't healthy but considering the changes coming to the landscape in the next 8 weeks I fired up the annual foliage thread:

14 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes--it was Troy, NY. 

What's the deal with the blue 60-70 swatch through Bangor?  Penobscot River Valley effect?  Screw that--I'll find a meth cabin in the pink area north of there.

They torch on occasion on strong SSE winds that cuts into those total.

13 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Don't move to S VT, if you drew a triangle from Pittsfield MA to Stratton and over to the Monadnocks it has been, relatively speaking, wrt other parts of NE, a snow desert the past 10-15 years.

When we moved to Greenfield in 2007 I was so excited to be close to the N Berkshires and ski areas like Mt Snow and Stratton.  Let's just say my expectations have been tempered considerably.  I don't really care if it snows imby as long as I can drive an hour to fresh tracks but those days have been a bit more limited than I would have imagined.

Don't move to Bennington. The highlands of S VT have done pretty well IMO, with the notable exception of the infamous '15-'16 futility winter. I'd rather join James down in Harwich than live in Bennington...it's that bad. Horrendous shadowing there on E flow and they don't usually get much more than flurries, light snow from the upslope on W flow. At least Harwich can get some big storms once in a while, even if they're not all snow. Pittsfield shadows on E flow too, but not as badly, and they do better on W to NW flow events. 

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Mitch disagrees.  Snow from Oct to May with max pack of 5 feet in his yard haha.

But I actually think your area has been screwed more than most.  Even SVT has had some sick deform bands in recent years.  I do think ALB CWA up into VT has had better luck than your area recently.

I think this is true. I did well with the trio of storms in March '18 and there have been some decent events here in the past few years. It's been a tough stretch in the CT River Valley since the Nemo blizzard in 2013, which had a nicely placed deform band.

Albany isn't as bad as many make it out to be. It's in a good spot for synoptic snows, and is too far west to get bad shadowing on most E flow events. They can actually upslope slightly on NE flows (i.e. March 2, 2018) with highlands to the SW of them. Retention is terrible being in the Hudson Valley and they don't do well with elevation type events, but the ~58" average there is respectable. I've seen many events where ALB beat out PSF, AQW, and DDH simply because of terrain effects.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

That's a mistake you only make once... and simultaneously learn the true meaning of Pink Floyd's lyric: "My hands felt just like two balloons."

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks.   it sounds like the snowfall differences between Troy and Bangor aren't too different from each other.

BGR is snowier than both ORH and Troy. ORH is probably slightly snowier than Troy on average, but maybe something like 68-70" versus 62-64"....BGR is probably more like 77-78" avg so once you are comparing it to Troy, it's prob a good 20-25% more snow on average. It also depends where you are talking about too....BGR airport are my numbers, but if you are talking a town or two southeast of BGR like right on the water, the numbers are definitely going to be lower.

BGR is going to have the superior snow depth a lot of the time on both stations simply because they are colder and average more snow....though with ORH it is closer than with Troy. BGR will average around 95 days per years with snow depth >= 1"....ORH is closer to 75ish. Troy is more like 60. So if you hate bare ground, you definitely want to eliminate Troy out of the 3. The numbers don't change for large snow pack...for days exceeding 12" of snow pack, ORH averages around 18 per winter....while Troy/ALB average around 6. BGR averages around 25.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Don't move to Bennington. The highlands of S VT have done pretty well IMO, with the notable exception of the infamous '15-'16 futility winter. I'd rather join James down in Harwich than live in Bennington...it's that bad. Horrendous shadowing there on E flow and they don't usually get much more than flurries, light snow from the upslope on W flow. At least Harwich can get some big storms once in a while, even if they're not all snow. Pittsfield shadows on E flow too, but not as badly, and they do better on W to NW flow events. 

I think this is true. I did well with the trio of storms in March '18 and there have been some decent events here in the past few years. It's been a tough stretch in the CT River Valley since the Nemo blizzard in 2013, which had a nicely placed deform band.

Albany isn't as bad as many make it out to be. It's in a good spot for synoptic snows, and is too far west to get bad shadowing on most E flow events. They can actually upslope slightly on NE flows (i.e. March 2, 2018) with highlands to the SW of them. Retention is terrible being in the Hudson Valley and they don't do well with elevation type events, but the ~58" average there is respectable. I've seen many events where ALB beat out PSF, AQW, and DDH simply because of terrain effects.

Yeah that was my overall experience.  Retention sucks but there is a lot worse shadowing right adjacent to the mountains.  I honestly can’t remember a synoptic event growing up there where I thought we legitimately got shafted by terrain.  I mean if it’s a March elevation event, sure but those you can see coming.

All the local forecasters place the downslope minimums right near the NY/VT/MA borders and up into Washington County.  And your right, the ALB area does better than a lot of the Mtn valley towns around the immediate mtns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spanks45 said:

Lol....Had to look, ivy is yellowing here, nothing red yet, at least in my yard. I have a ton of green tomatoes that do not like the cold nights, we definitely need some heat and humidity for September or they will end up going to waste...

Bring them in late September,  put them in a brown paper bag, they will ripen