Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’d go crazy living most places after Stowe lol.  

I still don’t think it robs that much, I lived it and still watch it closely.  Of course there are events it is but the vast majority of ALB snowstorms revolve around mid-level banding which doesn’t give a shit about topography.  Sure the hills around may average 70” instead of 62”, but it’s really not that big of a deal from what i saw.  

You would notice the preservation much more than any downsloping as the CAD isn’t there at all.  

It’s really all mid-level banding and ALB does well in those big interior storms and I can think of at least a handful of storms since 2002 where ALB local area jackpotted from being the pivot point.  

I’m not trying to sell it as a snow haven, but I just don’t think you’d notice downsloping as much as you think.  The ones that do are the real stalled out easterly flow events like Dec 1992.  Pretty much all other coastal events are just mid-level banding.  SWFE also don’t really downslope from what I saw.  It was pretty much sustained strong easterly flow.  As soon as it goes NE though it’s all good.

You just need that pivot like this one from 2014 that dropped 20-30” over the ALB area.

DF288894-27FE-43E7-AD60-BE48D4D5917A.jpeg.ec7db512e0f3fe801daf0a53c89ef001.jpeg

A few other recent close calls: 

66A0F333-89B5-4E12-81C1-F210733AA19D.thumb.jpeg.1ed6ae062405c53e63cf14ee48acf878.jpeg

D2C3C081-2F90-4E3F-8FED-75E2CC233538.jpeg.e664f70087f4b471e7a2b9ffe151a76a.jpeg

You know I can take sne big events and wipe the floor with Albany in terms of single storm totals.  Albany certainly snows more and holds onto it but big storms to me are more exciting I guess.  I may lose it in 3 days but I love the concept of 18+ and BOS has had a ridiculous number of those over the past 20 years.   Still seriously considering a move to VT soon

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You know I can take sne big events and wipe the floor with Albany in terms of single storm totals.  Albany certainly snows more and holds onto it but big storms to me are more exciting I guess.  I may lose it in 3 days but I love the concept of 18+ and BOS has had a ridiculous number of those over the past 20 years.   Still seriously considering a move to VT soon

Don't move to S VT, if you drew a triangle from Pittsfield MA to Stratton and over to the Monadnocks it has been, relatively speaking, wrt other parts of NE, a snow desert the past 10-15 years.

When we moved to Greenfield in 2007 I was so excited to be close to the N Berkshires and ski areas like Mt Snow and Stratton.  Let's just say my expectations have been tempered considerably.  I don't really care if it snows imby as long as I can drive an hour to fresh tracks but those days have been a bit more limited than I would have imagined.

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Ha again I wasn’t comparing ALB to big SNE totals (but they’ve got you beat with March 1888 ;)) but they do get their 18+ storms.  

I guess it was just your initial post that made it seem like ALB averaged 39” or something terrible like that.  It’s not a winter Mecca but it snows.  

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha again I wasn’t comparing ALB to big SNE totals (but they’ve got you beat with March 1888 ;)) but they do get their 18+ storms.  

I guess it was just your initial post that made it seem like ALB averaged 39” or something terrible like that.  It’s not a winter Mecca but it snows.  

The snow squall aspect is kind of cool. They definitely get the Mohawk Valley thing going. Not sure the name of the mtns NW of Saratoga, but those things light up on SW winds where you get the WAA, but occurring in a polar airmass. 

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Don't move to S VT, if you drew a triangle from Pittsfield MA to Stratton and over to the Monadnocks it has been, relatively speaking, wrt other parts of NE, a snow desert the past 10-15 years.

When we moved to Greenfield in 2007 I was so excited to be close to the N Berkshires and ski areas like Mt Snow and Stratton.  Let's just say my expectations have been tempered considerably.  I don't really care if it snows imby as long as I can drive an hour to fresh tracks but those days have been a bit more limited than I would have imagined.

Mitch disagrees.  Snow from Oct to May with max pack of 5 feet in his yard haha.

But I actually think your area has been screwed more than most.  Even SVT has had some sick deform bands in recent years.  I do think ALB CWA up into VT has had better luck than your area recently.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The snow squall aspect is kind of cool. They definitely get the Mohawk Valley thing going. Not sure the name of the mtns NW of Saratoga, but those things light up on SW winds where you get the WAA, but occurring in a polar airmass. 

Yeah and the models always light that area up on SW flow....I think it’s just the southern slope of the Adirondack uplift.  

The other thing I used to love at ALB was the Hundson/Mohawk Convergence at the end of a nor’easter.  Wind goes northerly and converges right over ALB area where the two big rivers merge and just downwind.... it’s very similar to the Champlain Valley Convergence but on a less extreme level.  But it’s present enough to have studies published on it...grab an extra 2-4” on backend of a storm.  

Cool but still wouldn’t be my first choice for a snow location... but if forced to live there it does snow lol.

19 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Savoy has been calling your name for a number of years it seems...even if they are in your Bermuda snow triangle 

41 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Savoy has been calling your name for a number of years it seems...even if they are in your Bermuda snow triangle 

Am I losing my mind or did Mt Snow and some other SVT mtns have one of their snowiest winters ever within the past few winters?

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Am I losing my mind or did Mt Snow and some other SVT mtns have one of their snowiest winters ever within the past few winters?

17-18 was the snowiest winter ever here locally in the valley...I had about 140" and the Cocorahs guy at 1800' near me in Landgrove had about 200". Peru VT COOP was top 5 I think. Past 3 winters solidly above average.

Of course 15-16 was all time least snowiest..by a good margin, especially at elevation spots. So some stinkers too.

36 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

17-18 was the snowiest winter ever here locally in the valley...I had about 140" and the Cocorahs guy at 1800' near me in Landgrove had about 200". Peru VT COOP was top 5 I think. Past 3 winters solidly above average.

Of course 15-16 was all time least snowiest..by a good margin, especially at elevation spots. So some stinkers too.

Yeah that's what I had thought.  It happens when there's big local variation, but it's interesting to see Hippy's take that it's been a disappointment given how just north has seen a near record season recently.

140" at your place is some serious snow.  Reminds me of 2010-2011 up here that had 160" here with 200" at some lower elevation spots like J.Spin and Underhill. 

I don't think a lot of folks understand the frequency and amounts that lead up to 140-150"+ seasons.

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Biggest difference betwen Troy NY and ORH is going to be snow retention. It's a lot worse in the Hudson valley. 

Theyll get more smaller snowfalls too like 1-2" from some squalls and windex stuff than you see in ORH. 

Thanks, the retention is what you’d notice the most between the two locations.  Not necessarily the total seasonal snow amounts. 

6 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Biggest difference betwen Troy NY and ORH is going to be snow retention. It's a lot worse in the Hudson valley. 

Theyll get more smaller snowfalls too like 1-2" from some squalls and windex stuff than you see in ORH. 

Thanks.   it sounds like the snowfall differences between Troy and Bangor aren't too different from each other.