Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Meh. Not impressed.  Sure maybe a 5 mile wide areas gets it. 

I think you'll get a good soaking.  It's not the jackpot 2-4" but it'll be soaking totals.  Just a half inch or 3/4ths of an inch is what the grass and vegetation really needs.

Big amounts are exciting I guess, but anything more than that runs off anyway. 

48 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Are you growing a rainforest? An inch of rain is perfect, you never want to flood new plants.

Salvaging what I have. I've put a lot of new soil in my planting beds, but I am sitting on ledge just below the surface. Without getting occasional bouts of rain...it just kills the lawns and plants when I go 2-3 weeks or more without much precip. It's more frustration. To see things go to crap after putting a lot of effort into them is annoying. I actually enjoy gardening.

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Salvaging what I have. I've put a lot of new soil in my planting beds, but I am sitting on ledge just below the surface. Without getting occasional bouts of rain...it just kills the lawns and plants when I go 2-3 weeks or more without much precip. It's more frustration. To see things go to crap after putting a lot of effort into them is annoying. I actually enjoy gardening.

We definitely seem to have more consistent summer convection up here versus the coastal counties. It’s not like the picnic tables but at least it’s rare for me to go over a week without a decent drink. Luckily we hold water well too. 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Of course, I’m in agreement there. But 4” of rain after a multiple week dry spell is not optimal either. Obviously, if you put so much effort into it, a custom irrigation system has to be part of any future projects. 

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We definitely seem to have more consistent summer convection up here versus the coastal counties. It’s not like the picnic tables but at least it’s rare for me to go over a week without a decent drink. Luckily we hold water well too. 

I don't know what it is, but the last several years have been real dry here during the summer. Some of it is lack of instability and death ridging keep it capped. June and July were wet this year. Usually it is August that is the wetter month, but this year sort of stopped that trend. Being further north also helps with synoptics. A warm front moving in will give you an inch of rain while Kevin is feverishly checking his Davis for updated dews.