• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Cool thing about last night, you could see a coastal front set up from the cooling over land pushing towards the warmer ocean. Was on TDWR before dawn. I had north winds and 56-57 while SE MA was in the low 60s wih NE winds. Even cooler just to my west since N winds have a bit of a water trajectory for me. Neat to see the boundary pushing SE. 

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

That was in reference to the Nature article. Otherwise who told climate scientists that? Are vectored  diseases proven to be linked to climate change? Just asking

What was the Nature article? Nobody tells climate scientists what to think, how to active etc. We just analyze data. Scientist just report data, the media applies the hype. Please don't confuse the two. Often when I see the media reporting on an article there are so many inaccuracies it skews the whole report.

As for vectored diseases, they most certainly have been tied to climate change. Lyme disease has continued its progression north (not south). We have also seen the percentage of ticks of ticks infected decrease in certain areas. It is very interesting. There are also many mosquito-borne diseases that are linked to the climate. Vectored diseases are unique in that when you think about it, the reservoirs (like rodents for Lyme), the causative agents (bacteria for Lyme), and the vector (the tick), are all intricately linked, and all depend on climate. A kink in system in any one of those areas and the whole think falls apart. Many are definitely working on at least trying to introduce a kink in any one of those areas to disrupt the disease cycle. The Lyme disease cycle is absolutely amazing once you start to study it. How it can remain in a tick for 2 years is absolutely interesting. 

There was a warm up signaled though ... consistent across several runs ...  It just up and vanquished in one run, 00z ... 

Example, the 40N and below latitudes over the eastern continent had height orientation/character in diametric variance comparing  the 00z and the previous 12z Euro.  That's code for ridge ... suddenly becomes trough. 

Okay... The GFS is useless as a f'n model but ...it's still holding out some vestive in the D7-11 range for ( what would likely be..) the last 588 dm contouring N of BOS ... but even it is more transient looking.   I don't know ... there has been about a week to ten day lag on western European heat which ...yeah, may be entirely random artifact and not really indicative of anything, but... that does time for that and would fit past seasonal behavior.  Maybe there is something to that and a "tendency wave" propagating around the hemisphere... speculative. 

But, "torch" vs "warm up"  ...some subjectivity slaving there, too. 

18 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

What was the Nature article? Nobody tells climate scientists what to think, how to active etc. We just analyze data. Scientist just report data, the media applies the hype. Please don't confuse the two. Often when I see the media reporting on an article there are so many inaccuracies it skews the whole report.

As for vectored diseases, they most certainly have been tied to climate change. Lyme disease has continued its progression north (not south). We have also seen the percentage of ticks of ticks infected decrease in certain areas. It is very interesting. There are also many mosquito-borne diseases that are linked to the climate. Vectored diseases are unique in that when you think about it, the reservoirs (like rodents for Lyme), the causative agents (bacteria for Lyme), and the vector (the tick), are all intricately linked, and all depend on climate. A kink in system in any one of those areas and the whole think falls apart. Many are definitely working on at least trying to introduce a kink in any one of those areas to disrupt the disease cycle. The Lyme disease cycle is absolutely amazing once you start to study it. How it can remain in a tick for 2 years is absolutely interesting. 

I am confused by your statement concerning climate scientists.  Are you a climate scientist? I still don't see any reference to people telling climate scientists what to think. However if you believe all are apolitical I don't know what to say.  As far as Lyme goes,  about time it has gotten the attention it deserves after decades of CDC ignoring, Drs being stripped of credentials for exposing the danger. Glad you are studying this.  How long have you been in vector disease? Interesting field. My BS degree is from URI in Environmental Science.  At the time,early 90s, URI was the premier University studying Lyme. We participated in field studies in our Grad level Bio class. Good stuff. There was a nature article last month effectively providing a list of what they deemed climate deniers, included in that list were preeminent climate scientists.  Huge uproar in the climate science community, surprised you had not heard about it 

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I am confused by your statement concerning climate scientists.  Are you a climate scientist? I still don't see any reference to people telling climate scientists what to think. However if you believe all are apolitical I don't know what to say.  As far as Lyme goes,  about time it has gotten the attention it deserves after decades of CDC ignoring, Drs being stripped of credentials for exposing the danger. Glad you are studying this.  How long have you been in vector disease? Interesting field. My BS degree is from URI in Environmental Science.  At the time URI was the premier University studying Lyme. We participated in field studies in our Grad level Bio class. Good stuff. There was a nature article last month effectively providing a list of what they deemed climate deniers, included in that list were preeminent climate scientists.  Huge uproar in the climate science community, surprised you had not heard about it 

I definitely don't believe many are apolitical. I always look at their data and see if their conclusions are truly supported or not. I have been studying the blacklegged tick and Lyme since 2010. I'd label myself as a climate focused vector disease ecologist. My PhD dissertation focused on tick over-wintering and metabolism as it relates to climate. This tick is one tough cookie, but seems to do great in years where snow cover is sustained and protects it from extreme cold. Years with extreme cold and little snow can be devastating as can warm years. But this is just the tick  v the rodent reservoirs add in more complexity. 

I too am shocked at how little support Lyme gets. It is the number one vector disease in the USA. The majority of funding still goes to mosquitoes. Even places that fund tick research a lot it is just sampling and not really prevention. Lots of work to be done. A lot of work. 

1 hour ago, West Mtn NY said:

Rubbish. The seas rising less than 1mm a year are much more of a concern. I heard Obama wanted to buy a 15 million dollar mansion on the water in Martha's Vineyard and fellow alarmist Al Gore wanted a 25 million dollar one in Malibu on the Pacific. Fortunately, those 2 wise men realized the seas would inundate these properties in short order and make their investments worthless. 

I don't want to perpetuate a climate discussion in a weather forum any longer, but yes: the hypocrisy of many green leaders flying privately, owning enormous mansions (Elon Musk owns five in Bel Air alone) and spewing more CO2 per year than most use in a lifetime is not lost on the average joe and doesn't help their cause.