Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahh I was looking at it like the terrain would be the coolest on NE flow.  Like a misty cool with the coldest at say 500-1,500ft like a CAD situation.  Of course 850 temps are really disconnected with the wedge.

I just saw those and assumed HP overhead stuff. I truthfully haven’t looked hard. But to cold advect into the 40s in late August is hard to do.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I just saw those and assumed HP overhead stuff. I truthfully haven’t looked hard. But to come advect into the 40s in late August is hard to do.

Yeah and SSTs are pretty warm.  Normally you take the under on NE flow and backdoor fronts but this time of year it’s interesting to see.  

GFS gets ORH to 47F with low clouds on Sunday night lol. Note pocket of <10C.  One would assume that’s near record territory, which is a good reason why it wouldn’t happen.

5457E18C-9010-4BBE-B235-F8DC9D2E9106.thumb.png.e35a3b656432d356895215662e2b4052.png

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahh I just figured with near 100% RH at 850mb it wouldn’t be rad cooling.  But yeah the slightly warmer just off the deck would indicate some SFC cooling more like rad.

Well it’s a cool, raw airmass regardless. Clear it out a bit overnight and it’s widespread 40s. GFS cloud product shows clear skies overnight, but that’s weenieology on my part. Bad migraine so I can’t stare at a screen long.

37 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well it’s a cool, raw airmass regardless. Clear it out a bit overnight and it’s widespread 40s. GFS cloud product shows clear skies overnight, but that’s weenieology on my part. Bad migraine so I can’t stare at a screen long.

I have chronic migraines myself. It’s gotten better (less frequent) over the years with acupuncture, meditation, cbd oil, and of course thc.....although some strains trigger them, go figure. So I have to be diligent with what I vape/eat. Feel better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I have chronic migraines myself. It’s gotten better (less frequent) over the years with acupuncture, meditation, cbd oil, and of course thc.....although some strains trigger them, go figure. So I have to be diligent with what I vape/eat. Feel better.

Same here with the migraines . Started at 16. Dehabilitating for many years. Been to Drs, neurologists etc. Have medication and they are easier to get thru as I get older .  Would not wish them on worst enemy . Would never inhale or vape anything, but that’s me. The visual aura for me is what kicks them off

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Same here with the migraines . Started at 16. Dehabilitating for many years. Been to Drs, neurologists etc. Have medication and they are easier to get thru as I get older .  Would not wish them on worst enemy . Would never inhale or vape anything, but that’s me. The visual aura for me is what kicks them off

I’ve only had a handful in my life but it also starts with the visual aura... I’d never wish that on my worst enemy.  I just remember laying in a dark room for like 4 hours just wanting it to be done.  Props to you guys that deal with that shit more regularly.

• Like 1

I’ve been in bed since I got home at 3. This is a major caffeine withdrawal one. I had been drinking a lot of them lately and tried quitting cold turkey starting last night. Big mistake. Usually I fight my way through the 3 days of withdrawals, but it’s kicking my ass this time. Auras, nausea, spins, weird smells, etc. I have my ipad brightness as low as it can go and it still seems too bright.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’ve only had a handful in my life but it also starts with the visual aura... I’d never wish that on my worst enemy.  I just remember laying in a dark room for like 4 hours just wanting it to be done.  Props to you guys that deal with that shit more regularly.

Had them on a regular basis through my 20's and 30's.  No medication made much difference.  For whatever reason the thing that eventually worked, is as soon as I noted the hint of the visual aura, I would down a coke (not diet) and 4 Advil's.  If I migraine came on after that it was mild and short-lived.  I have no idea why it worked...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Had them on a regular basis through my 20's and 30's.  No medication made much difference.  For whatever reason the thing that eventually worked, is as soon as I noted the hint of the visual aura, I would down a coke (not diet) and 4 Advil's.  If I migraine came on after that it was mild and short-lived.  I have no idea why it worked...

Caffeine? Most OTC migraine pills have caffeine in them.

52 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Mine are visual triggers mostly too. See, I can’t drink alcohol much because next day the left side of my face feels like I’m being stabbed repeatedly especially around the eye. I’ve been through the whole doctor thing. They had me on Depakote (forgot the spelling) which is for patients with seizures. I finally said in my early 30s, fok this...I’ll manage it somehow myself more naturally.

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’ve been in bed since I got home at 3. This is a major caffeine withdrawal one. I had been drinking a lot of them lately and tried quitting cold turkey starting last night. Big mistake. Usually I fight my way through the 3 days of withdrawals, but it’s kicking my ass this time. Auras, nausea, spins, weird smells, etc. I have my ipad brightness as low as it can go and it still seems too bright.

I have strange smells and I get my wife to notice/agree to no avail. I even purchased a top of the line CO2 sensor for the house because I could of swore I was smelling it at times. The funny thing about caffeine for me is, I need a tick but not too much. If I drink a large iced coffee, I’m screwed. Hard at times to find the right balance...esp when it tastes so good those mornings I need it.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I have strange smells and I get my wife to notice/agree to no avail. I even purchased a top of the line CO2 sensor for the house because I could of swore I was smelling it at times. The funny thing about caffeine for me is, I need a tick but not too much. If I drink a large iced coffee, I’m screwed. Hard at times to find the right balance...esp when it tastes so good those mornings I need it.

I hear ya. I got myself to the point of coffee 24/7. I should probably just do decaf since the trace amounts are probably enough for me. Either that or do some half caffs from DD.

20 minutes ago, FXWX said:

From people I talk to, everyone has different triggers and thus different solutions/remedies. I think that is why there is no miracle drug out there. It’s not a one size fits all condition. 

• Like 1

I only got a migraine once and it was while flying over the Rockies into Denver in the winter. The light reflecting off the mtns from the sun did it for me. Got off the plane and felt nauseous. My wife and I went to breakfast. I couldn't eat. Went back to her house, put cold towel on my forehead and took a long nap in the bedroom with as dark as I could get it. I feel bad for people that have to deal with them on a regular basis.

Anyway, looks like rn is done. 0.28" for the day.

GFS continues to be the cool outlier on Sunday night.  A decent wedge scenario.

Pretty cool mesoscale on this prog as the low level flow out of the NE is actually keeping SE Mass warmer because of SST of the nearby open water.  You have to go a bit further inland to get the NE air mass drain from Maine into C/SNE.

uzqsf9s.jpg

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

GFS continues to be the cool outlier on Sunday night.  A decent wedge scenario.

Pretty cool mesoscale on this prog as the low level flow out of the NE is actually keeping SE Mass warmer because of SST of the nearby open water.  You have to go a bit further inland to get the NE air mass drain from Maine into C/SNE.

uzqsf9s.jpg

Those are some pretty low dews that advect in during the Sunday evening period.

18Z-20190821_GFSNE_sfc_dewp-72-111-10-100.gif

Neverending dews continue

08/01 79.9  56.8 0.00   17  0.0  0
08/02 81.2  52.0 0.00    8  0.0  0
08/03 82.4  55.0 0.01   13  0.0  0
08/04 79.4  55.7 0.00   17  0.0  0
08/05 78.3  49.6 0.00   10  0.0  0
08/06 82.0  51.2 0.00   14  0.0  0
08/07 82.1  63.8 1.40   32  0.0  0
08/08 81.4  64.4 0.01   12  0.0  0
08/09 79.2  55.1 0.05   15  0.0  0
08/10 70.9  52.7 0.01   17  0.0  0
08/11 74.8  51.1 0.00   17  0.0  0
08/12 80.4  52.6 0.00   15  0.0  0
08/13 80.8  62.6 0.03   13  0.0  0
08/14 77.9  59.1 0.00    8  0.0  0
08/15 77.6  56.4 0.00   12  0.0  0
08/16 78.7  62.5 0.07   10  0.0  0
08/17 77.0  64.0 0.96   10  0.0  0
08/18 82.4  64.0 0.43    8  0.0  0
08/19 85.0  65.7    T   15  0.0  0
08/20 82.1  59.0 0.00    9  0.0  0
08/21 68.2  56.8 0.53   13  0.0  0

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ryan’s got a beaut. 75-80 all weekend into early next week and you can see the dews and warmth coming back late next week and beyond. No 40’s, no furnaces turning on, no rainy misty weekend .. just a few days of normal despite some silly gfs posts 

WetTnoV.jpg

I'm looking forward to the return to cool days.  August has been wonderful.  No HHH.  A couple days with one or two H's.  If that's the most August can offer, I'll take it.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ryan’s got a beaut. 75-80 all weekend into early next week and you can see the dews and warmth coming back late next week and beyond. No 40’s, no furnaces turning on, no rainy misty weekend .. just a few days of normal despite some silly gfs posts 

:lol:

I like how you ignore that it's mostly 70s/50s in that forecast and focus on the minority of the days with "dews".  It's been like that all summer.  Sure, higher Dp's will be back for a few days but it's not "and beyond".