Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting it’s like that in SNE but not NNE.  

We've done 11 of 19 days this month with below the 30-year normal minimums at MVL.

But warm mins seem to be almost more prevalent in the winter.  No one bottoms out like they used to at least on the regular.

You've been above the theta-e axis in the means...  that would be my guess...  I dunno - 

the NP-Lakes-NE regions have been almost collocated with the summer polar jet the whole f'n way ... Can't seem to flop convincingly on one side or the other.... It's been a -AO summer - so says the numbers.   But, I almost wonder if the polar jet stayed active at a lower latitude mainly because S of ~ 40 N there' has been a subtle positive height anomaly everywhere...  Meanwhile, more average heights abound the 50th - that would enhance the westerlies in between ... and the AO may be more like "defaulted" S in such a situation. 

Either way... the jet nearby has entrained drier air into the N Lakes to NNE but probably not this far S.  Your region may be just far enough polar ward of the core that the deeper theta-e is ablated from getting that far N ...where's as ...we're getting closer to the source ...but no so much so that we are convincingly hot - at least not by day... 

It's been weird.  A top 10 hot summer with only 12 90 F days - ... that's a lot of 88.4's  ... but really, it seems this has been a nocturnal summer.  Last night night was surreal down our way... it was just at sun set... The sky rendered to that misty gray-blue of dusk, and the air was utterly still...  It was 80 F ...  What was so odd is everything about that setting screamed 62 and hemorrhaging heat to space...   80 F   That warm sultry stillness under such open sky - 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No one believes you interpreted that map correctly and were just trolling :lol:.

Then again they are just charts.

Despite your thoughts most of these guys readily admit I know my stuff and understand its all good fun. Will will be the first to tell you that. I remember he used to say that at all the GTG’s when they were held on weekends not during Xmas week and more people could attend 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Despite your thoughts most of these guys readily admit I know my stuff and understand its all good fun. Will will be the first to tell you that. I remember he used to say that at all the GTG’s when they were held on weekends not during Xmas week and more people could attend 

You do know your stuff. That's why it's frustrating reading your posts when you weeniecast ADATT in the summer and ACATT in the winter. If it's warm in the winter or cold in the summer, call it for what it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There she is. Laying her eggs. Ready to lie dormant through another cold season of ACATT until Morch. The life cycle is nearly complete.

image.png

2nd half of September is when the forces are really becoming equally opposing....always a fun 2-3 weeks between about 9/20 and 10/10. He will be pimping a 70F on 9/23 but at the same time really struggling with the clown range models showing -5C 850 temps over New England in early October....it pulls him like a strong gravitational force.

You can start to tell that while on the outside, he is still pimping that 71F dewpoint on 9/23, it doesn't have the same enthusiasm to it that it did a month earlier....it's kind of empty and going through the motions. His eye is really starting to turn to that first cold shot in early October....he's just dying to mention that we may see a few flakes in the high terrain too, but can't quite bring himself to say it yet.

Then usually by Columbus Day weekend, the transition is complete. It's pimping highs in the 30s and 40s as normal October weather while scanning for snow chances....references to October 2009 and 2011 start to appear. By Halloween, we're turning every cold shot into a chance for flakes and even some accumulation....November is going to be a November of yore where snowpack supposedly started on 11/10 and never melted until April....perhaps "yore" meaning the ending vestiges of the previous ice age...but that is beside the point. It's gonna happen this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We had the last GTG on the weekend back in January....we know you had something going on, but it was a good solid crowd.

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2nd half of September is when the forces are really becoming equally opposing....always a fun 2-3 weeks between about 9/20 and 10/10. He will be pimping a 70F on 9/23 but at the same time really struggling with the clown range models showing -5C 850 temps over New England in early October....it pulls him like a strong gravitational force.

You can start to tell that while on the outside, he is still pimping that 71F dewpoint on 9/23, it doesn't have the same enthusiasm to it that it did a month earlier....it's kind of empty and going through the motions. His eye is really starting to turn to that first cold shot in early October....he's just dying to mention that we may see a few flakes in the high terrain too, but can't quite bring himself to say it yet.

Then usually by Columbus Day weekend, the transition is complete. It's pimping highs in the 30s and 40s as normal October weather while scanning for snow chances....references to October 2009 and 2011 start to appear. By Halloween, we're turning every cold shot into a chance for flakes and even some accumulation....November is going to be a November of yore where snowpack supposedly started on 11/10 and never melted until April....perhaps "yore" meaning the ending vestiges of the previous ice age...but that is beside the point. It's gonna happen this year.

I like when BDL starts pulling frosts and 32s while he rots at 38F with a 5mph wind and maybe a little ice on the windshield. He keeps the Torchtober posts coming, but there's always thinly veiled anger in the posts if you read them closely.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We await the annual September Scooter meltdown in the Patriots thread every fall telling everyone how "this year is different"

This is the best Patriots defense since the mid 2000's. Probably the best RB core in the league. Best QB in the league. Underrated WR core of Gordon, Thomas, Edelman, Harry, Meyers, Dorsett, Berrios....  Best fullback in football. Best coach in football. Best special teams in football. Best OL in Football.

Repeat SB champs here they come.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I know you know your stuff.  We kid but I know it was just a quick glance and your dew reflex saw MW trough.  

You know a lot more than your posts lead on.