Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I kind of lean with you on this. There's some evidence in the literature that the old passive stevenson screens with the liquid MMT produced warmer maxes and cooler mins than the newer digital thermometers at coops stations.

That's actually what I use for my daily record.  I have an online station that has the smaller shield but I would like to upgrade to a FARS at some point.  I generally don't have a problem with warmer maxes because I have a hill to my west so I lose the sun earlier than most people.

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

That's actually what I use for my daily record.  I have an online station that has the smaller shield but I would like to upgrade to a FARS at some point.  I generally don't have a problem with warmer maxes because I have a hill to my west so I lose the sun earlier than most people.

It's also not something that would be readily noticeable on an anecdotel scale....I think the average came out to something like 0.4C too warm on the maxes versus the newer digital thermometers. So you'd probably see it more in the data when plotted out over time.

But yeah, your actual location would probably mask any hardware bias because you have a short afternoon before the sun sets.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

piles of rocks at KCON

I should clarify on this...

I went back and looked at the posts from Chris on this in 2016. They actually had dark mulch around the ASOS when the team went out. They had since replaced it with white rocks. So nevermind grass...white rocks were the determined solution. lol

Just now, dendrite said:

I should clarify on this...

I went back and looked at the posts from Chris on this in 2016. They actually had dark mulch around the ASOS when the team went out. They had since replaced it with white rocks. So nevermind grass...white rocks were the determined solution. lol

:lol:

I mean, I guess that's definitely better than dark mulch....but I wonder why they couldn't just do grass?

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They want zero maintenance with it. I guess they were tired of mowing around it.

Yeah I can get that...the rocks should actually be fine as long as they stay relatively white. But if they start getting dirty, then that's gonna move the needle.