Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

Bungee?

Is that a lake?  

I honestly don’t know what the name of this is.  The Woodstock Town Beach is on it.  It may even be a pond technically.  It’s about 750ft elevation I believe?

But beautiful day in CT.  Plenty warm enough for a swim, but great for everything else outdoors too. 

7C624EBD-8B89-419C-9431-DFC1AA7944DD.thumb.jpeg.44acbd88c268045bc84472381c92886a.jpeg

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Is that a lake?  

I honestly don’t know what the name of this is.  The Woodstock Town Beach is on it.  It may even be a pond technically.  It’s about 750ft elevation I believe?

But beautiful day in CT.  Plenty warm enough for a swim, but great for everything else outdoors too. 

7C624EBD-8B89-419C-9431-DFC1AA7944DD.thumb.jpeg.44acbd88c268045bc84472381c92886a.jpeg

Beware the Snappers

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Is that a lake?  

I don' think there's any "technical" difference between lake and pond.  I grew up in NNJ swimming in a 55-acre "lake" but now live about 10 miles from a 9,000-acre "pond."  :lol: 
At least folks had the decency to name it "Great Pond" (Belgrades.)

Beware the Snappers

Lakes, ponds, they're in all of them.  In my teens I used to catch those critters - biggest was about 45 lb - and mostly gave them to folks who made turtle soup.  I tried dressing out a 37-pounder, which was much more difficult than field dressing a deer.  Wish I'd known how to cook the meat.  There were parts of that beast which I'd still be chewing 50+ years later had I not spit them out.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I don' think there's any "technical" difference between lake and pond.  I grew up in NNJ swimming in a 55-acre "lake" but now live about 10 miles from a 9,000-acre "pond."  :lol: 
At least folks had the decency to name it "Great Pond" (Belgrades.)

Beware the Snappers

Lakes, ponds, they're in all of them.  In my teens I used to catch those critters - biggest was about 45 lb - and mostly gave them to folks who made turtle soup.  I tried dressing out a 37-pounder, which was much more difficult than field dressing a deer.  Wish I'd known how to cook the meat.  There were parts of that beast which I'd still be chewing 50+ years later had I not spit them out.

the web agrees

There is no official scientific difference between a lakeand a pond. ... Naming conventions between lakes andponds are ultimately arbitrary as well, but the generally accepted consensus for the two involves size.

Is that a lake?  

Town beach is located on Muddy Pond, Lake Bungee has a lot of homes on it so I took a guess.

Just now, Juliancolton said:

Ponds grow algae in the summer, lakes stay clear.

Lake Champlain currently has one of the worst cases of blue-green algae anywhere in the Northeast.  Most beaches have been closed at some point because of it.  Must be those blowtorch BTV/Champlain Valley temps, lol.  

The water here at this place in CT is a lot cleaner than Champlain in that regard.

16 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Town beach is located on Muddy Pond, Lake Bungee has a lot of homes on it so I took a guess.

Ah, we just go by the name of the road, Pond Factory.  I’ll have to look up Bungee.

In my photo you can see the Town of Woodstock beach across the way.  

I love driving up Lebanon Hill Road from Southbridge...I know we joke about the lapse rates around here but the car always seems to lose a healthy 5F in like less than 400ft elevation change from downtown Southbridge to the top of Lebanon Hill Rd.  In high school I worked at the Sturbridge Host Hotel for a couple summers and loved watching the car thermometer that drive home.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ah, we just go by the name of the road, Pond Factory.  I’ll have to look up Bungee.

In my photo you can see the Town of Woodstock beach across the way.  

I love driving up Lebanon Hill Road from Southbridge...I know we joke about the lapse rates around here but the car always seems to lose a healthy 5F in like less than 400ft elevation change from downtown Southbridge to the top of Lebanon Hill Rd.  In high school I worked at the Sturbridge Host Hotel for a couple summers and loved watching the car thermometer that drive home.

Always cooler up there, 800+ feet elevation, I worked at Old Sturbridge Village back in those days.

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Lake Champlain currently has one of the worst cases of blue-green algae anywhere in the Northeast.  Most beaches have been closed at some point because of it.  Must be those blowtorch BTV/Champlain Valley temps, lol.  

The water here at this place in CT is a lot cleaner than Champlain in that regard.

Dogs have died recently swimming in  brown blue green algae outbreaks.  Thanks HHH for that and the EEE.

• Like 1

Is that a lake?  

Its a nice town; I lived in the South section just up the hill from the fairgrounds; just from that area to your place is a big difference in elevation. 

Plenty of good places to eat and drink in all directions. 

41 minutes ago, Modfan said:

Its a nice town; I lived in the South section just up the hill from the fairgrounds; just from that area to your place is a big difference in elevation. 

Plenty of good places to eat and drink in all directions. 

There is also an OTB if you're into that sort of thing :-) 

I bet they finish above normal though -

It's tough to get back to back record "months" - if that was seriously floated... I mean that amount a time would probably be 50 years over the GW threshold from now -haha

I'd see getting a July what it was... then, recovering a -1 to -2 august 12 to above normal - should that occur - is another in a myriad of ..well