Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

33 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Guess you missed the word little 

Actually, you said very little.  Meaning, 1 or 2.  We exceeded that just in July alone.  I'm glad you can spin your claims to fit any narrative that you come up with.  Kind of like read post after post of people saying how hot it's been and then say those same people are claiming it was cool.  Or, calling for 70+ Dp's and then using the swampiest stations to validate that.

In the 24 days after 7/7, 11 days had Dp's under 60 using your criteria.  Do you consider that very little?

https://www.wunderground.com/history/monthly/us/ct/windsor-locks/KBDL/date/2019-7

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JakkelWx said:

It's gotta be absolutely stunning with low 70s and dews in the low 40s up there.

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It definitely feels like fall up here.  About to hit the 50s by 8pm at the nearest station to me a half mile away.  

Yeah, yesterday offered up some really impressive air, and of course the effect was magnified because we’re coming out of high summer around here.  The boys and I were heading to Stowe with the windows and sunroof open, and as we’re going along feeling the breeze, my younger son commented something along the lines of “Wow, the air temperature is perfect!”   What he didn’t quite know was that a big part of that “perfect” feeling was the low dew point.  We did a pretty strenuous 13-mile ride in the Adams Camp complex without a drop of sweat for any of us.  That’s why people love this air.  I was explaining the humidity/dew point aspect to the boys later in the day, but the thing that left the biggest impression with them was not feeling sticky or even feeling like they needed a shower after a ride like that.  Indeed at the beach or pool it’s nice to have a bit of humidity to keep things comfortable, but there’s a reason so many people have A/C – they’re literally trying to turn warm, humid air into this air.  As nice as Saturday was, yesterday was simply over the top with those incredible temps and dew points, so it needed its own seal.

Premium101.gif

• Like 2

No need to check my weather station.  This guy Zaator is my weather dog. Will not head outside for long in heat and humidity. Half St Bernard  half Siberian Husky he is totally a cool weather dog. Suffice to say he has been running around all morning playing ball and chasing sticks.

20190805_094223.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, yesterday offered up some really impressive air, and of course the effect was magnified because we’re coming out of high summer around here.  The boys and I were heading to Stowe with the windows and sunroof open, and as we’re going along feeling the breeze, my younger son commented something along the lines of “Wow, the air temperature is perfect!”   What he didn’t quite know was that a big part of that “perfect” feeling was the low dew point.  We did a pretty strenuous 13-mile ride in the Adams Camp complex without a drop of sweat for any of us.  That’s why people love this air.  I was explaining the humidity/dew point aspect to the boys later in the day, but the thing that left the biggest impression with them was not feeling sticky or even feeling like they needed a shower after a ride like that.  Indeed at the beach or pool it’s nice to have a bit of humidity to keep things comfortable, but there’s a reason so many people have A/C – they’re literally trying to turn warm, humid air into this air.  As nice as Saturday was, yesterday was simply over the top with those incredible temps and dew points, so it needed its own seal.

Premium101.gif

Nice man enjoy, the beach is also glorious at 80/55 at this time of year when the water is near peak temp. Just need some banging surf to add to perfection.  Perhaps the best summer so far for me going to RI beaches sans the missing rideable surf, although we did catch the nice swell last weekend of 3 to 6 feet. Like your headshot powder days the feeling is hard to describe. 

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

No need to check my weather station.  This guy Zaator is my weather dog. Will not head outside for long in heat and humidity. Half St Bernard  half Siberian Husky he is totally a cool weather dog. Suffice to say he has been running around all morning playing ball and chasing sticks.

20190805_094223.jpg

Must’ve been some good radiation fog off the poop this morning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Must’ve been some good radiation fog off the poop this morning. 

Poop patrol with dewy grass is a pain, this morning the grass was mostly dry. You must know how much the chicken shit stinks on HHH days but if you stay on top of chores its not an issue. Health and sanitary wise for the pets its best to take proper care. I get busted on about dog poop but honestly its not an issue when properly disposed and picked up. Poor Tigger our German shepard Rottie mix suffers from ear infections every summer when its HHH. 3 vet trips this summer but he is better now. Dogs are vigorously exercising today. Crazy morning of chase going on, time for coffee and time for them to chill lol

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Low 40s at my place this morning after yesterday's max of 73.  Started nipping the tops off the cherry tomato vines so the already-set fruit has a better chance of ripening before frost.  (Oops - should not have dropped the "f"-bomb, might cause distress for the ADATT folks.)

I'm looking forward to a trip next month to your neck of the woods.  We'll be spending a few days in Moosehead region before moving on to the Gaspe.  My wife has never seen a moose and calls them the "Sasquatch" of New England.

• Like 1

I thought the COC shot moderated? Just looked at the EPS and it still looks similar. No one should have taken a d10 op run a handful of days ago seriously. Steady as she goes on the ensembles. No one said frigid either. We don't do that anymore unless it's a rainy wedge following a shot of lower dews.

ecmwf-ens_T850a_namer_fh144_trend.gif

• Like 1

Hmeh... It's a nice air cleansed summer day... not much more to me, not when it's going to be 82 or 83 this afternoon.  Nice to have a lowered DP though... sure.  

It's funny how our minds work... First sniff of cooler anything and we rev up of the deep autumn nostalg. Kinda like My Cousin Vinny: " ... It appears to me that you want to skip the arraignment process, go directly to trial, skip that, and get a dismissal,"  only here ... we want to dismiss summer.

It was Aug 4 the other day and I read someone suggesting it's almost over because a swamp maple tinged..  ah..yeeeah

I kinda of think of that as fantasizing baseballs return because pitchers and catchers happen to report on Feb 1 - ...nah, unfortunately the season is a long, long, long-long way off...  haha.  Summers have cool patterns... I'm not even sure this is the "shot across the bow" air mass that heralds the summer's decline, actually ... 

Unfortunately...having said that ... I have to risk sounding hypocritical though  - this is an unusual summer.  First of all the QBO has been in a robust westerly phase ...and rather inconsistent with that, the AO has been predominating in the negative phase state.  It may be that the instraseasonal linkage/physical processes that do so ... break down in the summer, then reassert in the winter. I'm not sure.. .But,...sustaining +10 to +20 QBO with a mean minus 2 SD AO is not a typical correlation ... not a concurrent phase state I've read about.  Supposed to be the other way around...  I think perhaps the summer is different than the winter.  The QPF phasing may channel through the Ozone dispersion science...which is partial in the SSW stuff...  That much I know is winter only - but I'm speculating there. 

I'm not sure how that parlays as we the summer weeks really do wane... I wonder if the AO flips signs "just in time" for the stronger cold season correlations to kick in?  Possible.... 

Stolen summer ( relative sense ...) followed by muted winter .... Just exactly what everyone wants to read in this particular social media, huh -

Kidding, but ... we have less likely hemispheric phase states going on ... so offers some lowered predictability ... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Too lazy to read from where I've left off, but any talk about Wednesday?

Not a severe wx outbreak type setup but the NAM has legit potential for an isolated tornado or two MA Pike on south.

Yes, the usual suspects warned of spinners and landphoons....so be safe chasing in your minivan. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Don't know about all this talk about above-normal August...especially considering longer term progs.

First 5 days of the month will all be below normal and not really seeing any extended above normal.  Could be pretty decently below normal by mid-month.

image.png.2a27d006644d626596a1dadb6037e3f3.png

So no +3/+4 temps like some have locked in? Interesting.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Don't know about all this talk about above-normal August...especially considering longer term progs.

First 5 days of the month will all be below normal and not really seeing any extended above normal.  Could be pretty decently below normal by mid-month.

image.png.2a27d006644d626596a1dadb6037e3f3.png

You have to find the highest positive departure site in the region and just use that as the baseline.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nice man enjoy, the beach is also glorious at 80/55 at this time of year when the water is near peak temp. Just need some banging surf to add to perfection.  Perhaps the best summer so far for me going to RI beaches sans the missing rideable surf, although we did catch the nice swell last weekend of 3 to 6 feet. Like your headshot powder days the feeling is hard to describe. 

Indeed.  I find the Zen of surfing and powder to be the most similar I’ve experienced.  They both have that simply impeccable union and balance between chaos and control.  I’d probably put whitewater kayaking next, but it just doesn’t have quite the flow of the other two for me.  I have never tried surf kayaking though, which I’m sure has its own feel.  I love to surf – if I’d stayed down in the Buzzards Bay area I’m sure that would be a primary activity for me.  Doing a lot of growing up here in Vermont though, then living in Montana for several years and now being in Waterbury surrounded by the Green Mountains, the allure of the mountain culture and powder skiing was just tenacious.  The Northern Greens are (inarguably?) the epicenter of powder snow/powder skiing in the Eastern U.S. though, so of course that’s going to take precedence around here.