Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

18 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’m not sure you’re actually allergic vs getting so much venom that anyone would have had that reaction.  In my wife’s case last summer, she immediately took Benadryl which quelled any further reaction.  That said, keep the epi pen.

His story reminded me of my grandmother's encounter with yellowjackets while raking leaves in the yard of their lake community home, and your "venom" comment added to the memory.  She felt the "fire"  on her legs, looked down to see them nearly covered.  Tried to sweep the little monsters off but they wouldn't let go.  Fortunately she was less than 50 yards from the lake.  At the Dr. or Hosp. (happened before I was born, so some details I don't know) they counted 70 stings on one leg and 90 on the other - on a woman who weighed at most 110 lb.

Back to weather:  After the sunniest month I've recorded here, August is 3-for-3 and not much cloudiness on tap for tomorrow/Monday.  May dip to low 40s that day.  Finally me clouds mid-week. 

58 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I guess S of the Pike has had the torch this year.  Honestly, it has felt like a warm, dry, slightly above normal summer here.  Perhaps the lack of humidity has me unimpressed?  I am pretty mank sensitive and really have not had too use the A/C that much.  Electric bill running way short of last summer.

Fwiw the Amherst coop had July as the 7th hottest on record going back to 1893.  1.7 degrees off the record from 1955.

6 minutes ago, radarman said:

Fwiw the Amherst coop had July as the 7th hottest on record going back to 1893.  1.7 degrees off the record from 1955.

Yeah, it's been warm for sure but I think maybe the dry factor has kept me from being bothered as much by it.  Lot's of upper 80's but not too many 90's here.

38 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’m not sure you’re actually allergic vs getting so much venom that anyone would have had that reaction.  In my wife’s case last summer, she immediately took Benadryl which quelled any further reaction.  That said, keep the epi pen.

Good point. I had not considered the venom overload factor.   As I said, I felt it surging up into my lymph glands, especially groin.  Ice cold shower water gave little relief to the burning sensation. 

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, it's been warm for sure but I think maybe the dry factor has kept me from being bothered as much by it.  Lot's of upper 80's but not too many 90's here.

There was a substantial latitudinal gradient on the hot weekend for sure.  I was in Keene barely at 90 when BDL hit 100.  Even my torchy station at UMass only briefly touched 95 which has not been terribly uncommon in its lifetime.

21 minutes ago, radarman said:

That’s pretty impressive for that period of record.  

It came up in the BDL discussion, but I think a lot of folks think SNE climo is higher than it actually is in the summer.  

Some folks were surprised the highest average max temp at BDL is 85F and that a normal July is like 84F-something for an average max.  

When I was 10 years old I was balancing along a felled log in the woods behind the house/

Unbeknownst ...what was once hollowed was full of European honey-bees ...  

Foot punches through, air's a whir with a hideous irate scream...I'm running home in a square-mouthed rage.   14 stings...  two of which were on my forehead and my brow line swelled enough to star in a Geico commercial...

Oh...and three stings below the waste, above thigh - ...mm hm.  Yup. Along with their dead bodies.  The rest were back of neck and forearms.

Contrary to the fairy tales honey bees are not fun lovin cartoon Disney bugs -

I didn't go to the hospital... just sorta hung out on the couch with cold compresses. No reaction beyond anger -

We're hotter than normal around here and any record breaking is always edging out to do it...  for the most part. 

How come we are not "smashing" them...like they do every else in the world.  Put up a 108 at Logan or go f itself... This protecting the biggest environmental pig culture from first hand account of their own shit is really annoying...

Norwegians don't deserve it...  we do.. just sayn' ....  What's going on is that we're barely breaking climate temperatures monthly this and that... but just packing in a lot high nocturnal lows with 93 uninspired days

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

When I was 10 years old I was balancing along a felled log in the woods behind the house/

Unbeknownst ...what was once hollowed was full of European honey-bees ...  

Foot punches through, air's a whir with a hideous irate scream...I'm running home in a square-mouthed rage.   14 stings...  two of which were on my forehead and my brow line swelled enough to star in a Geico commercial...

Oh...and three stings below the waste, above thigh - ...mm hm.  Yup. Along with their dead bodies.  The rest were back of neck and forearms.

Contrary to the fairy tales honey bees are not fun lovin cartoon Disney bugs -

I didn't go to the hospital... just sorta hung out on the couch with cold compresses. No reaction beyond anger -

My honeybee adventure cam at age 4, and I have no memory of it beyond my mom's account.  The house next to her parent's summer place in NNJ had a huge honeybee colony within the building's inside corner.  Early one morning, probably before anyone else was awake, I wandered into the odd-sounding area.  I'm sure my screams awakened everyone, my mom said my hands swelled up as big as hers (she was 5'4" and petite, but still...) and I slept for 30 straight hours.  Was never told how many stingers they had to pull out, but if I'd done that with a yellowjacket nest I'd have slept for a lot longer. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

88/50 at BTV.... rare 27% humidity for early August.  

there's a boundary poorly or non-analyzed extending wsw to ene somewhere between our latitudes... It was 88/67 here out runnin' errands ...  Prolly 82/66 or something by the feel of it now

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

there's a boundary poorly or non-analyzed extending wsw to ene somewhere between our latitudes... It was 88/67 here out runnin' errands ...  Prolly 82/66 or something by the feel of it now

Yeah definitely.  Temps up here are still into the 80s and upper 80s valley torch spots, but the dews are 15 degrees lower.  

I’d guess it’s the boundary this morning that had some storms in CNE like CON latitude?

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah definitely.  Temps up here are still into the 80s and upper 80s valley torch spots, but the dews are 15 degrees lower.  

I’d guess it’s the boundary this morning that had some storms in CNE like CON latitude?

Yeah. Not sure. At the time I glanced ... there was a discerned DP slope NW-N of Albany with linear activity ... seemed the assumption to make 

C.O.C city 

59 degrees. I’m dreaming of fall cold fronts and then first flakes around Mansfield . 

Prices for Ownership of a one bedroom studio on the mountain at 1500’ def have my interest.  The amenities and views and annual snowfall make this something of a dream for me . Additionally  the ease of renting these out (Coordination between Spruce peak ) for a few days a week makes this interesting 

• Like 2