Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's a funny little trick you can use for "hole in the ground" nests assuming they are on relatively flat terrain.....you put a clear glass bowl upside down over the top of the nest hole at night when they are all inside. Then the next day they will fly out and be trapped inside the glass dome but because they have been exposed to daylight, they will just fly around inside the confined space and then re-enter the nest and think they just had a failed foraging expedition. They all eventually starve to death over the next few days. 

It has to be clear though,....if you use a solid dome, they will just dig a new exit through the soil. How weird is that? The clear bowl tricks them into thinking they aren't trapped. I got rid of a big ground nest this way years ago. It's obviously nice because it requires zero toxins.  

I used a clear plastic bin over the hole for that reason. It’s not perfectly see through like a glass jar, but it lets a lot of light through. 

I think they’re using an old mouse/chippy den though do I wonder if there’s a second or third entrance/exit. I may try what you said though with an actual glass bowl. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Have you seen the airport location? It's on a huge ridge that's exposed. Basically has zero radiation a cooling there. 

Yeah it’s quite evident on a topo map.  It sticks out and then drops off into the city of Worecester.  Same as Tolland’s hill... always out in the free air with nothing blocking it.

Like 1500ft at the ski resort up here radiates for shit... because it’s on the edge of a bench that drops off into town.  It looks very similar to the ORH airport on a bigger scale.  I bet 600ft in Worcester is colder at night than the airport.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I used a clear plastic bin over the hole for that reason. It’s not perfectly see through like a glass jar, but it lets a lot of light through. 

I think they’re using an old mouse/chippy den though do I wonder if there’s a second or third entrance/exit. I may try what you said though with an actual glass bowl. 

If there's another entrance then you'll definitely want to find it. Usually they only have one though. You'll also want to make sure the base of the bowl is flat enough that they can't still go under it. 

Anyways, it sounds like you are probably already having success if the activity has been reduced significantly. You might be entering the zombie phase of the nest. If you have killed the queen and it's only a few workers left then it's only a matter of time. 

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it’s quite evident on a topo map.  It sticks out and then drops off into the city of Worecester.  Same as Tolland’s hill... always out in the free air with nothing blocking it.

Like 1500ft at the ski resort up here radiates for shit... because it’s on the edge of a bench that drops off into town.  It looks very similar to the ORH airport on a bigger scale.  I bet 600ft in Worcester is colder at night than the airport.

The old ORH site at 600+ feet used to radiate very well. It's one reason that it is so hard for ORH to get record lows...even more than just the usual uphill climb against climate warming. So many record lows are from that site...I think they put up like a -24 or -25 back in the 1943 outbreak and another -20 or two in 1934. 

When I was a kid, we lived at about 600 feet in ORH somewhat downhill of a ridge and I remember distinctly in the 1994 cold outbreaks that we would hit -20 while he airport would struggle to reach -8 or -10. I think we touched -23 or so on 1/19/94. 

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's a funny little trick you can use for "hole in the ground" nests assuming they are on relatively flat terrain.....you put a clear glass bowl upside down over the top of the nest hole at night when they are all inside. Then the next day they will fly out and be trapped inside the glass dome but because they have been exposed to daylight, they will just fly around inside the confined space and then re-enter the nest and think they just had a failed foraging expedition. They all eventually starve to death over the next few days. 

It has to be clear though,....if you use a solid dome, they will just dig a new exit through the soil. How weird is that? The clear bowl tricks them into thinking they aren't trapped. I got rid of a big ground nest this way years ago. It's obviously nice because it requires zero toxins.  

I ran over one last fall when I was aerating the lawn, got stung several times. I’ll use the clear bowl trick next time instead of flooding them with toxins.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Where is that shown? Warm and humid yes for a 3 to 4 day period then say wut period of time? As far as the models run. Have no idea where you see the rest, cooler would be a rather modest adjective if the Euro is right

download (47).png

download (46).png

IMG_20190802_082740.jpg

Deep trough and srly flow will dew it. Amazing what one near normal night will do amid a torch summer. 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Congrats on frost on car tops?

lol, no.  The low was 55°.  That was thirty nine mornings where I've had lows in the 50s since met summer began.  Actually, that's low because the average/normal low even in July is 59°.  I'm short on 70+ mins with only one so far because thankfully it hasn't been that humid and the temp has been able to drop at least into the 60s.

Just now, MetHerb said:

lol, no.  The low was 55°.  That was thirty nine mornings where I've had lows in the 50s since met summer began.  Actually, that's low because the average/normal low even in July is 59°.  I'm short on 70+ mins with only one so far because thankfully it hasn't been that humid and the temp has been able to drop at least into the 60s.

But you live in the hills, he lives in the valley with valley girls.

I'm going to side with Kevin overall. It's been warm and rather humid. Not the days and days of 70+ dews last year, but muggy overall since we had very little intrusions of prolonged Canadian air aside from a few days. 

August sees avg temps cool, but have fun with those waters near 80 south of New England. Dews galore when we have south winds. Should be a nice cooldown next weekend for a time before getting warmer IMO and lasting into Torchtember. Summer ain't going anywhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm going to side with Kevin overall. It's been warm and rather humid. Not the days and days of 70+ dews last year, but muggy overall since we had very little intrusions of prolonged Canadian air aside from a few days. 

August sees avg temps cool, but have fun with those waters near 80 south of New England. Dews galore when we have south winds. Should be a nice cooldown next weekend for a time before getting warmer IMO and lasting into Torchtember. Summer ain't going anywhere.

Yeah that’s my overall feeling, especially for you guys in SNE.  Obviously runs cooler up here with more chances of lower-humidity and lower temps.... but I’ve noticed a lot of our “Chamber” days up here still come with hot readings down south.  

A lot of days this summer it seems that look like this up here with 70s (except torch spots near BTV/CPV).... but then you see upper 80s in S.NH on this graphic and know it was another hot one at the lower SNE sites.  

2EFA875B-D91B-418C-83EB-DD0DC14BA1C2.thumb.png.185d28adc059904f4a17ee3cc1aa11d1.png

58 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The other option is poke it and run ... 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that’s my overall feeling, especially for you guys in SNE.  Obviously runs cooler up here with more chances of lower-humidity and lower temps.... but I’ve noticed a lot of our “Chamber” days up here still come with hot readings down south.  

A lot of days this summer it seems that look like this up here with 70s (except torch spots near BTV/CPV).... but then you see upper 80s in S.NH on this graphic and know it was another hot one at the lower SNE sites.  

2EFA875B-D91B-418C-83EB-DD0DC14BA1C2.thumb.png.185d28adc059904f4a17ee3cc1aa11d1.png

Sometimes you don't have that deep penetration south. At least as of late. Throw in any fair weather CU there blocking insolation and DSD here and there's your temp differences. Seems like more penetration of yore may happen next weekend. 

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The ACATT say it hasn’t been torch summer . They also are saying Augdewst will be normal temp wise. Ignoring the beginning 10 days and final 16 days 

Haven't seen anyone saying the full month won't be AN.  Maybe I missed it.  However, I think it will be less AN than was July.

I have a nest under a metal garden hose holder.  Have sprayed several cans of Raid on it without much success.  Poked the nest with a long tomato stake earlier this week and almost knocked the whole nest down.  Checked it out today and they've almost built the whole nest back.  They are amazingly persistent creatures. 

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

SSTs are getting amazing. Some of you land locked peeps should go after it. 

Very high SSTs and a deep trough getting established as we get into mid-August.   Sounds like the ducks are on the pond for RevKev and James dreams to come true. 

27 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Haven't seen anyone saying the full month won't be AN.  Maybe I missed it.  However, I think it will be less AN than was July.

They’re out there. The ones posting about barefoot cold in Augdewst and things like that. At any rate.. our official call for the month was issued last week +1.5 to +2.5 in SNE.. with emphasis more on dews than heat . Especially last 2 weeks or so 

14 minutes ago, TheBudMan said:

I have a nest under a metal garden hose holder.  Have sprayed several cans of Raid on it without much success.  Poked the nest with a long tomato stake earlier this week and almost knocked the whole nest down.  Checked it out today and they've almost built the whole nest back.  They are amazingly persistent creatures. 

Is the nest closed (I.e. They have a paperish exterior covering the comb cells)? 

If it is, you need to get down and spray into the opening. Just spraying the outside won't get it done if it's enclosed.