• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Occasional Thoughts on Climate Change

donsutherland1

By the way you mentioned evolution so you reminded me of something I was thinking about.  How do you think human greed, violence, short-sightedness, fear of change and of the future, etc should be curtailed?  Our most primitive section of our brains, the limbic system, and the hypothalamus to be more specific controls these primitive traits.....do you think we should tinker with it to become much more rational and forward thinking? 

On 10/13/2021 at 12:09 PM, LibertyBell said:

Look for Witches of Karres which was a very sweet and funny tale from back then as well as the sequels to it which were very nicely done over the past few years.  That was one of the old stories I always wanted to see a sequel to and I was glad to see that it was done by a fine collaboration of writers who kept the spirit of the original storyline alive and even expanded it in a way the original author would have wanted to.

Kind of OT:
I had no idea there were sequels to Witches of Karres (which I've read and re-read) and would be interested in authors/titles.  James Schmidt apparently didn't write much - in all my sci-fi, much of which hasn't traveled with our moves, I've seen only 4 of his works.  The other 3 include one novel, Demon Breed (set on a water world) and two short stories (Balanced Ecology, Grandpa), and all 3 include plausible and interlocking ecosystems.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

By the way did you read the two papers? You would like them, they mention The Great Filter frequently as well as different paradigm shifts in evolution.  I just got done with reading them both in their entirety.

I will - I haven’t had a chance. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

Kind of OT:
I had no idea there were sequels to Witches of Karres (which I've read and re-read) and would be interested in authors/titles.  James Schmidt apparently didn't write much - in all my sci-fi, much of which hasn't traveled with our moves, I've seen only 4 of his works.  The other 3 include one novel, Demon Breed (set on a water world) and two short stories (Balanced Ecology, Grandpa), and all 3 include plausible and interlocking ecosystems.

I read Demon Breed and Agent of Vega!  They were good but Witches of Karres was by far my favorite!  The sequels were actually written quite recently (number 4 actually came out during the pandemic), and they are really good.  I've read number 2 and number 3 but not number 4 yet.

The Witches of Karres - Wikipedia

A sequel, The Wizard of Karres, written by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint, and Dave Freer, was published by Baen Books in 2004, featuring the same characters as the original novel. The Sorceress of Karres, written by Eric Flint and Dave Freer, was published by Simon & Schuster in 2010 and continues the story with the return of most of the characters.[2] A third sequel, The Shaman of Karres, written by Eric Flint and Dave Freer, was published by Baen Books in 2020.[3]

The Wizard of Karres - Wikipedia

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I read Demon Breed and Agent of Vega!  They were good but Witches of Karres was by far my favorite!  The sequels were actually written quite recently (number 4 actually came out during the pandemic), and they are really good.  I've read number 2 and number 3 but not number 4 yet.

The Witches of Karres - Wikipedia

A sequel, The Wizard of Karres, written by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint, and Dave Freer, was published by Baen Books in 2004, featuring the same characters as the original novel. The Sorceress of Karres, written by Eric Flint and Dave Freer, was published by Simon & Schuster in 2010 and continues the story with the return of most of the characters.[2] A third sequel, The Shaman of Karres, written by Eric Flint and Dave Freer, was published by Baen Books in 2020.[3]

The Wizard of Karres - Wikipedia

Many thanks.  I'll look for those books.
Though Karres is also my favorite of my limited Schmidt works, the other titles I mentioned have about the most fascinating and logically developed exobiology I've read in sci-fi.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't know if human techno-ethical morality is obligatory in that sense.  We shouldn't necessarily meddle in other species' Darwinian mechanics. To which vaccinating Chimps in a wild setting certainly qualifies.

Just imho - but going into to their ranks and vaccinating is still violating the better principle of 'non-interference' in the evolution of that species. It interferes ... period.  That's a scientific/"organic" no-no and a big whopping one at that.  There is a litany of philosophical whys to that.

Longer muse:  "the roads to hell are paved in good intentions"

What we should absolutely NOT be doing is jeopardizing theirs, or any species' ecological-health regardless. Just observational, but looking around at what we do ... damming rivers that prevent fish spawning, to suppression of ecology-wildfires ( leading to thermal explosions that end up out of control ), to pollution toxicology that is lowering ( yes, this is true across most mammalian males) sperm counts, ... Jesus, global f'um C02 warming ... all of it. It is all supplanting the natural order in lieu of our own rapacious sense of entitlement.  "Rapacity" in the context is sort of a gaslighting term but is unfortunately apropos. There's no real way to consider 'unchecked overabundant procurement,'  other than through the lens of avarice - if one is objective. And/or what we perceive and even calculate as positive ( forget the negatives for the moment...), all too often is shown to be detrimental to theirs and of course ours, as unintended consequence.

You know ... our species survival, in the sense of relative competition, has been won.  We still have to answer to death at an individual level, but that is an ultimatum handed down by of a Cosmos defined by it and everything inside of it in inexorable finality. But, excluding the pap cultural weirdism that's out there inside the Industrial bubble the quasi denies that truism ... ballooning our population orders of magnitude, while doubling individual life spans, means we've succeeded.  

But, our species won't stop there.  Once dinners are procured and the night's rests are adequate, we've continued excelling into surpluses.

That gray area is certainly available for moral review.  It's part of the catch-22 of our evolution.  But that failure to connect, it really is a part of the insularity in the argument, one that is tactically used to keep on procuring beyond the necessity of one's need.  The fact that poverty this, or malnutrition that, pestilence and disease, all these travails still haunt corners of civility?  That is human design - pick an author of note from the last 150 years ... it's been foreseen for generations. The travails are purely human -caused, caused by rationalization in every moment for "harmless" rapacity, integrating all of human activity.  The "ability" was the completion; not this latter irresponsibility to turn it off, nor the escaping equality.

It works this way in my mind.  We spent 99.99973% of our evolutionary background evolving to keep eating - think how a dog will eat to death ( we have appetite circuitry... I'm using this as a metaphor). But dogs eat that way because they spent all their evolutionary track eating what their ecology provided. Provisionally, that kept them just above starvation, and as a kind of on-going built in Darwinian test that favored the strongest surviving. 

We are not above that evolutionary arc - not entirely  ... And, those switches are still in the on position, despite the discovery of the wheel, and everything that has precipitated since the lever to electrons. 

Despite our leaps of innovation genius that have sent us to other worlds and it is hoped to the stars, our brains are a very very recent advent in our history - brief digression: do Dolphins and Chimps know about black holes?    Sorry - I can't abide the anthropomorphism of these lesser brain-boxed species. I admit they have emotion. I admit they have their cultures - distinguishing them by comparison to our paragon is false equivalence, primitive or not aside.  They are not comparable to us. No species has ever been. We are unique and singular spanning 3 billion years of come-and-gone life forms of this world. Which means ... most likely ( to the chagrin of our conceit..) we are a fluke.

Our leap of brain did not evolve checks-and-balances ( perhaps as 'instincts' ) at the same rate.  When the Cosmic Ray Burst a million years ago swept it's mutating radiation tsunami through our solar system and zapped our tree dwelling ancestors, perhaps this triggered a gene that set into motion offspring with increasing nerve density. It hugely sophisticated the spectrum of our minds, from computing-power to imagination arcs,  within several hundred thousand years we became peerless in our advantages over all others.  Meanwhile that dog still eats the same way inside.

That aspect remained unchanged.

Fun stuff to write about ... even if the present era doesn't favor readers.  I am a big fan of an analog universe - it is just that the colors and shapes obscure our awareness.  The Cosmos is kind of a copy-cat artist, reproducing everything from one simple initial model-construct. Every iteration changes the dress; reality emerges, and ends up looking like a varied tapestry.  Electrons orbit atom nuclei, while moons encircle planets.  Moons and planets encircle stars, just like atoms and their electron moons bound to molecules comprised of multiple atom-electron systems ... like the planet-star systems then in turn, bound to galaxies.  That is using a physical example. Irony is the brain's primitive ability to sense this in the non-physical: the synergistic outcomes, the by product of all these actions at a distance. They too are a reproduction of an initial paradigm.  Whether physical or emergence', all these are just repetition using just enough morphology in shape or color, then overly differentiated by a brain necessity to categorization. 

Being God-like to Chimps, doesn't mean we are gods.  When that is so, it absolutely interferes with the natural settings ... dimming their survival odds -.  But this better practice means, don't interfere.  It doesn't mean taking God-like ownership over all under the sun and seas.  

Good morning Tip and thank you, in print, for a fine thought provoking post.  I believe/wish we, being wrapped in self thought Godhood, could arrive at the sensible solution of screaming “Do Over” while pressing the cosmic re-start button. In lieu of that we are left with the very shot tale. ‘Once upon a time, we lived happily ever after’. As always …..

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Good morning Tip and thank you, in print, for a fine thought provoking post.  I believe/wish we, being wrapped in self thought Godhood, could arrive at the sensible solution of screaming “Do Over” while pressing the cosmic re-start button. In lieu of that we are left with the very shot tale. ‘Once upon a time, we lived happily ever after’. As always …..

Lol,  ...or, "Once upon a time, we lived transiently after"

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

Many thanks.  I'll look for those books.
Though Karres is also my favorite of my limited Schmidt works, the other titles I mentioned have about the most fascinating and logically developed exobiology I've read in sci-fi.

Schmitz expanded the original short story into a novel which he published in the mid 60s and won the Nebula award for best sci fi novel in 1967.....is that the one you read or did you read the original short story from the 50s?  I suggest reading the full book first if you only read the short story before moving on to the sequels.

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Lol,  ...or, "Once upon a time, we lived transiently after"

I saw this today.....they are talking about 2500, I think all of this will become reality by 2100!

https://twitter.com/i/events/1449024925105328130

Earth could be ALIEN to humans by 2500
Researchers led from Leeds University modeled the Earth's future climates. They illustrated the changes they predict by 2500 in the worst-case situation. The findings illustrate the importance of modeling beyond 2100, they said.

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Schmitz expanded the original short story into a novel which he published in the mid 60s and won the Nebula award for best sci fi novel in 1967.....is that the one you read or did you read the original short story from the 50s?  I suggest reading the full book first if you only read the short story before moving on to the sequels.

Only the book - had no idea that it was built from his earlier short story.  And thanks for the correct spelling of his name.  :o

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Only the book - had no idea that it was built from his earlier short story.  And thanks for the correct spelling of his name.  :o

I read the short story and just knew it had to have an extension.....the short story ended on a weird cliffhanger, like something you really wouldn't expect.  Basically it ended where his ship was being boarded by security forces for inspection and it just didn't make any sense to end it there.  I bet he always intended to make it a novel but didn't get around to it for a decade.  And when the book ended, it made me wish for a sequel, thats the main reason why I read the other books, but they weren't like this one.  The trio of writers (one of whom is a noted physicist) did the first book justice, the transition is seamless, as if he had written it himself.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1449121549286469635

Series of large asteroids to fly past Earth, starting tonight
Several large asteroids will pass closely by Earth in coming weeks, USA Today reports. The first, the 525-foot wide 2021 SM3, will whiz past Earth on October 15 according to NASA’s Center for Near-Earth Object Studies. Seven larger asteroids are predicted to pass close by Earth before the end of November, the biggest of which, 2004 UE, has a diameter of 1,246 feet, USA Today reports. At 2.1 million miles, asteroid 1996 VB3, will pass closest to Earth on October 20. Scientists say that, although very close by interstellar standards, none of the asteroids will be visible without a telescope. On October 16, NASA will launch a spacecraft, Lucy, on a 12-year mission to observe eight asteroids in Jupiter’s Trojan asteroid field, CNN and the New York Times report. Keep it here for asteroid action and reaction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/15/climate/biden-clean-energy-manchin.html

“This is absolutely the most important climate policy in the package,” said Leah Stokes, an expert on climate policy, who has been advising Senate Democrats on how to craft the program. “We fundamentally need it to meet our climate goals. That’s just the reality. And now we can’t. So this is pretty sad.”

The setback also means that President Biden will have a weakened hand when he travels to Glasgow in two weeks for a major United Nations climate change summit. He had hoped to point to the clean electricity program as evidence that the United States, the world’s largest emitter of planet-warming pollution, was serious about changing course and leading a global effort to fight climate change. Mr. Biden has vowed that the United States will cut its emissions 50 percent from 2005 levels by 2030.

The rest of the world remains deeply wary of the United States’ commitment to tackling global warming after four years in which former President Donald J. Trump openly mocked the science of climate change and enacted policies that encouraged more drilling and burning of fossil fuels.

“This will create a huge problem for the White House in Glasgow,” said David G. Victor, co-director of the Deep Decarbonization Initiative at the University of California, San Diego. “If you see the president coming in and saying all the right things with all the right aspirations, and then one of the earliest tests of whether he can deliver falls apart, it creates the question of whether you can believe him.”

Even as Ms. Pelosi vowed in San Francisco to protect those climate provisions, at least four people in Washington close to the negotiations called the clean electricity program “dead.”

Senator Tina Smith, Democrat of Minnesota and the chief author of the program, said that while dropping it might win Mr. Manchin’s vote on the budget bill, it could cost hers — and those of other Democrats focused on the environment.

“We must have strong climate action in the Build Back Better budget,” she said. “I’m open to all approaches, but as I’ve said, I will not support a budget deal that does not get us where we need to go on climate action. There are 50 Democratic senators and it’s going to take every one of our votes to get this budget passed.”

Mr. Manchin, who has personal financial ties to the coal industry, had initially intended to write the details of the program as the chairman of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources. Mr. Manchin was considering a clean electricity program that would reward utilities for switching from coal to natural gas, which is less polluting but still emits carbon dioxide and can leak methane, another greenhouse gas. Mr. Manchin’s home state, West Virginia, is one of the nation’s top producers of coal and gas.

But in recent days Mr. Manchin indicated to the administration that he was now completely opposed to a clean energy program, people familiar with the discussions said.

As a result, White House staffers are scrambling to calculate the impact on emissions from other climate measures in the bill, including tax incentives for renewable energy producers and tax credits for consumers who purchase electric vehicles. Unlike a clean energy program, tax incentives tend to expire after a set period of time, and do not have the market-shifting power of a more durable strategy.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:27 AM, LibertyBell said:

I love those stories from the Golden Age, I actually have collections of them somewhere in my house if I can find them.  The classics never age, because humanity's hopes, dreams, motivations and desires never really do either.

On 10/13/2021 at 10:27 AM, LibertyBell said:

I love those stories from the Golden Age, I actually have collections of them somewhere in my house if I can find them.  The classics never age, because humanity's hopes, dreams, motivations and desires never really do either.

Liberty I came across an item I purchased at a fair about twenty years ago. It 3A98156A-67DD-48F7-8453-EF43078846C9.thumb.jpeg.7949c165ff04f06c92ee0f21d43a4c5b.jpeg3A98156A-67DD-48F7-8453-EF43078846C9.thumb.jpeg.7949c165ff04f06c92ee0f21d43a4c5b.jpegwas a Nov 1937 issue of Startling Stories, the cover story seems topical. Nearly 85 years ago it sold for 15 cents. Expensive for that early post depression era. The volume is mostly print with few a few ink illustrations. As always ….

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2021 at 6:37 PM, LibertyBell said:

This is a tragedy and discraceful, and could be the most significant policy failure of the Biden administration if a compromise is not reached, or significant executive action is not taken to make up for the lack of legislation. The optics of this are terrible and could signal to the coal and gas industries and their investors that it is game on, their interests in Washington are secure, and any major transition (beyond what has already occurred) could be decades away.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, skierinvermont said:

This is a tragedy and discraceful, and could be the most significant policy failure of the Biden administration if a compromise is not reached, or significant executive action is not taken to make up for the lack of legislation. The optics of this are terrible and could signal to the coal and gas industries and their investors that it is game on, their interests in Washington are secure, and any major transition (beyond what has already occurred) could be decades away.

I came up with an idea - let's see if you agree with me on this.

So yesterday a bunch of us had some extremely angry reactions to the news which was completely understandable, but thinking more deeply on it and wondering what could be done to nudge politicians to do the right thing, how about this.....

So the inspiration for this was finding out that 250 or so notable and pre-eminent scientists wrote a letter to the president begging him to do something substantive about climate change.

My thought- that's all fine and dandy and I remember when a large group of famous scientists also wrote a letter.....to Truman, begging him not to use the atomic bomb.  Did it work? No.  Does it look like this letter will work? No!  So how about we try a different tactic.  All scientists who agree that climate change is an existential threat should immediately walk out, go on strike, stop teaching, stop researching and whatever else they do in their jobs and careers.  Quit if need be.  We need  a nationwide strike by all scientists of good will who think climate change is an existential threat.  If they truly believe that it is, and it definitely, let's grind all progress in this country to a halt, right now.  Not a week from now, not a month from now, not a year from now, right effing NOW.  Stop researching new drugs, stop teaching at colleges and universities, even walk out of your government science jobs at the CDC, the NWS, leave all of it right now.  Send a strong message that you won't tolerate this hypocrisy we have going on and being in bed with the dirty fossil fuel cartels.  Let's have a major strike by all scientists of good will, just like we had major strikes during the civil rights era in the 60s.  Shut everything down, grind all progress to a halt.  I see nurses are going on strike for better pay......this is an even better reason for all people in STEM fields to go on strike and make this country grind to a halt.  The world is watching and the world will notice this.  It will show that we mean business, even if means crashing the economy and whatever else, if you truly believe this is an existential threat this is a sacrifice you MUST make.  Just like it was done for civil rights.  After all, no matter what some lame so-called "superpowers" might think civil rights ARE environmental rights AND environmental rights ARE civil rights!  The two have always gone hand in hand and must continue to do so as we fight the existential crises that we all face.

14 hours ago, rclab said:

Liberty I came across an item I purchased at a fair about twenty years ago. It 3A98156A-67DD-48F7-8453-EF43078846C9.thumb.jpeg.7949c165ff04f06c92ee0f21d43a4c5b.jpeg3A98156A-67DD-48F7-8453-EF43078846C9.thumb.jpeg.7949c165ff04f06c92ee0f21d43a4c5b.jpegwas a Nov 1937 issue of Startling Stories, the cover story seems topical. Nearly 85 years ago it sold for 15 cents. Expensive for that early post depression era. The volume is mostly print with few a few ink illustrations. As always ….

I love these!  The Golden Age hard cover collections I have are anthologies of classic short stories and novellas from this time period.  Do you have any personal favorites?  The Tumithak series was one of my personal favorites......

4 hours ago, skierinvermont said:

Get in on this thread

There are some climate change denialists in there saying some super dumb things

On 10/16/2021 at 9:30 PM, skierinvermont said:

It reminds me of that trope often seen in Sci Fi cinema ...where some invading force or other dystopian finality is thematically arcing over the horizon of the story-line.

Meanwhile toes are curling under the audience seats of the movie theater over just how oblivious the moguls are to the fact that they really have no power against this adversary.  The recent adaptation ( and unfortunate annihilation of - ) "The Day The Earth Stood Still" science fiction story hit upon that motif big-time.  ... while those in and of power-conceit are busy making plans in presumptive control - egregiously unaware - basically wasting time they don't have.

Recently we wrote of needing 10 miles to turn a fully-loaded ocean Tanker around, and only having about 2 miles left to do so, with regard to the climate crisis that is real, but is ubiquitously thought of as something less.  It's funny... ancient mariners would be so terrified of sailing too far and falling off the edge of the world - even threatening to hang their captains from yard-arms should they not heed and turn back...  In a creepy way, that's what happens in the completion of the former metaphor - said Tanker doesn't turn around in time.

Lol ..for fun, whether that theme or any others ...it's usually some all-along ostracized scientist that holds the secret Achilles Heal countermeasure to save the world.

Here's how that films starts... Fade in: tepid tension in the room, pitting an appointed boob scientist facing an actual crisis ( oops) trying to sound informed though through a well-acted comportment of subtle insecurity in self-awareness. Side's what little this person offers tends to be suppressed by Brass pomp and circumstance in the room. There's another character in the room that's modestly foreshadowed in a close up expression of angst.  It all fades to the sound of gravel crunching under tires as a black sedan, polished to a mirror glare, seems out of place when the partially obscuring dust plumes around it's wheel-wells as they tire comes to a halt.   I would say two "MIBs" rise out of door, but isn't that now outmoded?  the trope its self is changing. We need a more "Millennialized" zeitgeisty type.  So perhaps not a sedan but something more styled.  Clad in more business casual, with hints of being good looking somewhere under  glasses telescoped out of wavy hair either side of modest chiseled sinews, maybe even make it a Rachael Leigh Cook (obscure) in "She's All That" . set up romantic tension; may as well get that out of the way early.  Of course, that doesn't work out.   This more hip hybrid insider ( of both the conservative rank-and-file as well as the realm of science that deeply eschews the direction of Humanity ) rides the ethical edge between those worlds. Yet, they are the only one who knows or suspects this someone with all the answers. 

He or she stands looking at the facade of a secluded ranch home.  His/her target is the would-be hero of our un-unique story.

Having lost their motivation: their intellect stolen; their soul mate also took a different road long ago due to some back-storied attractive narcissist's grander pop appeal - because obviously...they never connected with the would-be hero's intrinsic value - we all instantly sympathize.

"I"m out. I gave all that "insight" away - don't you understand futility.  The stars die.  It doesn't matter how - that is only a human conception: tragedy ... "

Anyway, back in the here-and-now..  I have long mused the metaphor where I liken all humanity, from the depths of follies to the exults of celebration, and all senses that construct the reality our existence, it all carries-on with it ... not knowing we are already dead, while suspending x-y-z or putting off a-b-c. 

Standing around upon the proverbial railroad tracks to destiny, while the iron beneath their feat begins to whir, and no one hears it or feels the vibration awhile they argue about the color shoes being worn to the engagement. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fantom X said:

Even if Biden's plan does pull thru, my gut feeling says the next Republican administration will cancel it and move us backwards once again. 

They can only ignore the problem for so long. When the voters start talking they'll shift their stance otherwise they'll lose. Many red states are at huge risk from climate change impacts.

However I can easily see Republicans go full eco-fascism and use climate change to ramp up immigration policies.

13 hours ago, Fantom X said:

Even if Biden's plan does pull thru, my gut feeling says the next Republican administration will cancel it and move us backwards once again. 

My hope as a long time Repub is that the Big Orange will be sufficiently obnoxious that all but the most ardent Trumpanistas will come to their senses.  Not especially optimistic, though.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:18 AM, tamarack said:

My hope as a long time Repub is that the Big Orange will be sufficiently obnoxious that all but the most ardent Trumpanistas will come to their senses.  Not especially optimistic, though.

its very easy for the fossil fuel cartels to brainwash people in these low information states, some decisions need to be hard wired into the system and beyond the minds of voters and politicians, remember what I said about benevolent dictatorships.