Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Occasional Thoughts on Climate Change

donsutherland1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Too much risk... 

History has too oft and repeatedly demonstrated that humans do not cede control ( ultimately, their sense of power) back to democracy at the other end of those thematic arcs. It may just be 'semantics' but  the use of the word 'authoritarianism' is too absolute.

Semantics aside, it still is a philosophy designing no necessary room for interpretation or negation - perhaps not during the crisis management, itself, but of most importance delimits the acquiesced societal system a very necessary monitor, checks and balances, ... but most importantly, escape plans. 

Virtually every "desperate" sovereignty in history, that perceived systemic failure so dire, so unavoidable as to have only one pathway to its salvation: through the voice of the loud 'angel,' discovered the hard way, the angel was dark.  This leitmotif is everywhere across history; it's just a fact of humanity. It's what turns the pens and strokes the brushes throughout the spectrum of arts we use in muse whether mocking statesmen follies, or conceit our Nationalist celebrations.

You know ( for muse), it's really a lot like the arc of "Senator Sheev Palpatine" from the "Star Wars" saga - it was like predicting the future? Just like those disaster films of the mid 1990s seemed to eerily homage the fall of the Trade Towers - the western world's 'Towers Of Babylon.'   We are collectively in tune, though our fears cannot often be so codified. There's still 'something out there.' It's unsettling and potentially wicked.  And whether it is coherently definable, whatever that is ... ( you gotta unfortunately think 'vibe' ), it still triggers the imagination, becomes the stuff of dreams to the macabre of canvas, to the thrill of cinema.   Being in touch, doesn't always mean being able to touch. 

But back here on Earth..  if history can provide any guide - and oh no, ... humans never repeat the past - perception, however valid or not, of calamity so extreme enters the dark lord.   You know, as a possible ... indirect sort of support for the collective 'sense' aspect, consider the last 10 years and the wave of Populism that's tsunamis'ed around the developed word.  That's how the village idiot, with lots of money and a feckless morality rose to be in charge.  Not just here... but over in Brittan.  These are fear induced acquiescence, because in times of uncertainty and looming specters, that's what humanity does: it shrinks its flower and closes up like a daisy in a spring snow.  And inside their petals they are insular, traditional, and safe..

As difficult as it may be to solve this problem, authoritarianism cannot be the answer. There must be another way.. Or, we may perish for either recourse.  Doing nothing = death.   Authoritarianism = inevitable wars as that escape = death.

Yes, Britain, Brazil, India....it seems like these nations saw what happened in the US and decided to go down the same road.  Human authoritarianism is inherently evil , but perhaps machine intelligence would make the best decisions for everyone and not being able to be swayed by money, it would look for long term goals, rather than short term benefits

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Too much risk... 

History has too oft and repeatedly demonstrated that humans do not cede control ( ultimately, their sense of power) back to democracy at the other end of those thematic arcs. It may just be 'semantics' but  the use of the word 'authoritarianism' is too absolute.

Semantics aside, it still is a philosophy designing no necessary room for interpretation or negation - perhaps not during the crisis management, itself, but of most importance delimits the acquiesced societal system a very necessary monitor, checks and balances, ... but most importantly, escape plans. 

Virtually every "desperate" sovereignty in history, that perceived systemic failure so dire, so unavoidable as to have only one pathway to its salvation: through the voice of the loud 'angel,' discovered the hard way, the angel was dark.  This leitmotif is everywhere across history; it's just a fact of humanity. It's what turns the pens and strokes the brushes throughout the spectrum of arts we use in muse whether mocking statesmen follies, or conceit our Nationalist celebrations.

You know ( for muse), it's really a lot like the arc of "Senator Sheev Palpatine" from the "Star Wars" saga - it was like predicting the future? Just like those disaster films of the mid 1990s seemed to eerily homage the fall of the Trade Towers - the western world's 'Towers Of Babylon.'   We are collectively in tune, though our fears cannot often be so codified. There's still 'something out there.' It's unsettling and potentially wicked.  And whether it is coherently definable, whatever that is ... ( you gotta unfortunately think 'vibe' ), it still triggers the imagination, becomes the stuff of dreams to the macabre of canvas, to the thrill of cinema.   Being in touch, doesn't always mean being able to touch. 

But back here on Earth..  if history can provide any guide - and oh no, ... humans never repeat the past - perception, however valid or not, of calamity so extreme enters the dark lord.   You know, as a possible ... indirect sort of support for the collective 'sense' aspect, consider the last 10 years and the wave of Populism that's tsunamis'ed around the developed word.  That's how the village idiot, with lots of money and a feckless morality rose to be in charge.  Not just here... but over in Brittan.  These are fear induced acquiescence, because in times of uncertainty and looming specters, that's what humanity does: it shrinks its flower and closes up like a daisy in a spring snow.  And inside their petals they are insular, traditional, and safe..

As difficult as it may be to solve this problem, authoritarianism cannot be the answer. There must be another way.. Or, we may perish for either recourse.  Doing nothing = death.   Authoritarianism = inevitable wars as that escape = death.

I want humanity to survive long enough to see what lies at the boundary of the universe :)  I know you're into futuristic science so I'm curious to know if you're into strong underlying connections between quantum mechanics, gravity, time, wormholes, the holographic principle and entanglement (ER=EPR).  Lots of new research into the connections between these by some of the world's greatest minds.  I'm actually writing a series on this.  But the jist of it is, that the boundary of the universe contains one less dimension than the bulk (where we live), and that one less dimension is- TIME!  In other words space-time is an emergent property that arises because of quantum mechanics entanglement (which itself arises from wormholes that tie the fabric of reality together, the meaning of ER=EPR) and on the boundary of the universe, according to the holographic principle, the information of the entire universe is contained in one less dimension (and since that one less dimension is time we can analogize that to the boundary storing all the data of the universe frame by frame, like a film reel).  According to the latest research information is preserved and released back to the outside world even by black holes (of everything that ever fell inside them) but it's quantum encrypted because quantum entanglement and wormholes is the way the information gets out (and spinning Kerr black holes have multiple horizons, inside of which lies a ring singularity, beyond which may be other universes, daughter universes to our own, just like we might be inside a black hole inside a parent superverse, which provides a way of unifying relativity and quantum mechanics into a theory of quantum gravity.)....some fascinating research in this area that may tell us what space and time really are and our place in the multiverse.

11 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Greta Thunberg blasts world leaders

https://twitter.com/i/events/1442953344855597058

She's 10000% right

in times of emergency, authoritarianism is actually better than democracy, but it has to be the right (left) kind of authoritarianism

The most efficient form of government might be a benevolent dictatorship.  Problem is that history shows such dictatorships never remain benevolent.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The most efficient form of government might be a benevolent dictatorship.  Problem is that history shows such dictatorships never remain benevolent.

Yes I quite agree, and there is no real exit strategy out of one.

I thought AI could do it benevolently, but I wouldn't be shocked if AI acquired some human-like deficiencies.

After all, it is programmed to learn from humans.....

59 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yes I quite agree, and there is no real exit strategy out of one.

I thought AI could do it benevolently, but I wouldn't be shocked if AI acquired some human-like deficiencies.

After all, it is programmed to learn from humans.....

And would be most unlikely to be implemented unless there was already a human benevolent dictator in place, one who was willing to cede authority to machines.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tamarack said:

And would be most unlikely to be implemented unless there was already a human benevolent dictator in place, one who was willing to cede authority to machines.

I was thinking of forward thinking benevolent dictators.....how about Justinian? I'm not even sure you could call him a dictator, but he was an amazing person, more forward thinking than most so-called leaders we have today.  

This study measured the earthshine reflecting off the moon. The falling trend agrees with satellite observations and climate model projections that clouds are dimming as the earth warms.

https://phys.org/news/2021-09-earth-dimming-due-climate.html

Caption for Figure below

Earthshine annual mean albedo 1998–2017 expressed as watts per square meter (W/m2). The CERES annual albedo 2001–2019, also expressed in W/m2, are shown in blue. A best fit line to the CERES data (2001–2019) is shown with a blue dashed line. Average error bars for CERES measurements are of the order of 0.2 W/m2. Credit: Goode et al. (2021),

earth-is-dimming-due-t.jpg

3 hours ago, chubbs said:

This study measured the earthshine reflecting off the moon. The falling trend agrees with satellite observations and climate model projections that clouds are dimming as the earth warms.

https://phys.org/news/2021-09-earth-dimming-due-climate.html

Caption for Figure below

Earthshine annual mean albedo 1998–2017 expressed as watts per square meter (W/m2). The CERES annual albedo 2001–2019, also expressed in W/m2, are shown in blue. A best fit line to the CERES data (2001–2019) is shown with a blue dashed line. Average error bars for CERES measurements are of the order of 0.2 W/m2. Credit: Goode et al. (2021),

earth-is-dimming-due-t.jpg

There goes another popular denier argument that clouds will save the day. Instead, cloud behavior may be a positive feedback that amplifies the warming.

8 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

There goes another popular denier argument that clouds will save the day. Instead, cloud behavior may be a positive feedback that amplifies the warming.

albedo is 0.5% less which is pretty shocking.

we need geoengineering like yesterday, unless we proactively alter our planet's climate system no passive behavior will ever be enough.

It might get to the point where we need to start thinking of dusting up the atmosphere ourselves.

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

I hunch both are right, tho  -  

It may take some era passage along with more science to evince.. but cloud physics in a warming world is not ubiquitously the same over oceans, comparing to intracontinental regions.  There is huge difference in the thermodynamic coupling between ocean and lower troposphere, versus the former. 

We know in the general sense that a warming world does produce more clouds.  How?  because it rains more ;)   ...and has been raining more..  (and rain in this context means anything falling out of a cloud mechanics, including snow ..hail, sleet in the hydrologic sense). 

We cannot have more rain falling without more efficient cloud mechanics.  The study in question was discussing a small percentage of dimming Earth because the warming oceans and less low cloud - and was honing the PDO region of the N Pacific.  *There may be correlation to warming PDO and climate change, notwithstanding. 

It seems to me just a priori and anecdotal observation combined ( so taken fwiw - ), where we are cloud seeding naturally over land, we are seeing very pervasive and dense overcasts from relatively/comparatively weaker synoptic forcing.  ...  actually speak of the devil. This goop from Iowa to NYC is a rather fortuitous example of that.  This "trough" is barely a trough...it's really more like a sag in the non-hydrostatic curve between the perennial western ridge and WAR... yet, it has this vast inundation in all directions.    Meanwhile, the western U.S. from Iowa to west of San Francisco ... Nevada... Wyoming?  We're talking 1200 miles with zero cloud production.  None.  

Just something I've been noticing ..  where there is no clouds, it seems more barren... Where there is any excuse at all to create them, we see those anomalous proficients.       

But here's the thing ... Marine environs own some 70-73% of the areal physicality of the planet.  So, if the warming oceans are lowering low cloud productions ( by vertical sounding/physical forcing..etc...), there should be a net dimming, by virtue of arithmetic.  Any increase that might be quantifiable if land were considered in quadrature, would be less weight in that budget.  

Massive oil spill sends crude onto Orange County beaches, killing birds, marine life
The leak, which officials say began Saturday, has poured 126,000 gallons into the coastal waters. At sunrise Sunday, oil was on the sand in some parts of Huntington Beach with slicks visible in the ocean as well prompting officials to close a stretch of sand from the pier to the Newport Beach city line. Dead birds and fish had begun to wash up on the shore, officials said.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1444691884513710083

https://twitter.com/i/events/1444710921109217284

• Sad 1

On 9/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, LibertyBell said:

I want humanity to survive long enough to see what lies at the boundary of the universe :)  I know you're into futuristic science so I'm curious to know if you're into strong underlying connections between quantum mechanics, gravity, time, wormholes, the holographic principle and entanglement (ER=EPR).  Lots of new research into the connections between these by some of the world's greatest minds.  I'm actually writing a series on this.  But the jist of it is, that the boundary of the universe contains one less dimension than the bulk (where we live), and that one less dimension is- TIME!  In other words space-time is an emergent property that arises because of quantum mechanics entanglement (which itself arises from wormholes that tie the fabric of reality together, the meaning of ER=EPR) and on the boundary of the universe, according to the holographic principle, the information of the entire universe is contained in one less dimension (and since that one less dimension is time we can analogize that to the boundary storing all the data of the universe frame by frame, like a film reel).  According to the latest research information is preserved and released back to the outside world even by black holes (of everything that ever fell inside them) but it's quantum encrypted because quantum entanglement and wormholes is the way the information gets out (and spinning Kerr black holes have multiple horizons, inside of which lies a ring singularity, beyond which may be other universes, daughter universes to our own, just like we might be inside a black hole inside a parent superverse, which provides a way of unifying relativity and quantum mechanics into a theory of quantum gravity.)....some fascinating research in this area that may tell us what space and time really are and our place in the multiverse.

humanity has survived  a long ice age it will survive anything short of  a massive asteroid or comet hitting the planet...

I thought you all might be interested in this. I created the following plot using 4 traditional, 2 satellite, 1 raob, and 1 reanalysis datasets of the global mean temperature including an equal weighted 3 month centered composite of the 8 datasets and compare everything with the CMIP5 ensemble mean from 1979/01 to 2021/08. All timeseries are using the same baseline for comparative purposes. The composite trend is +0.19 C/decade.

iACpoQz.png

• Like 4

wtf are the US and UK thinking here?

https://twitter.com/i/events/1445447530737586179

UK, U.S. withhold support for U.N. proposal that would recognize clean environment as a human right
The World Health Organization estimates that some 13.7 million deaths a year, or around 24.3 % of the total, are due to environmental risks such as air pollution and chemical exposure.

Good so even if so, it wont matter- it will be adopted anyway

On 10/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, LibertyBell said:

Massive oil spill sends crude onto Orange County beaches, killing birds, marine life
The leak, which officials say began Saturday, has poured 126,000 gallons into the coastal waters. At sunrise Sunday, oil was on the sand in some parts of Huntington Beach with slicks visible in the ocean as well prompting officials to close a stretch of sand from the pier to the Newport Beach city line. Dead birds and fish had begun to wash up on the shore, officials said.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1444691884513710083

https://twitter.com/i/events/1444710921109217284

pipeline company lied ( no surprise there)......coast guard spotted a central park sized oil spill Friday eve at 6 PM company did not shut down pipeline until Sat morn at 9 AM,  big lawsuit oncoming and the spill is now spread out over 16 sq miles and 150,000 gallons.  This will take months to clean up and pipeline company should have to pay for everything and all its operations should be shut down.

• Like 1

This could be an epic Science Fiction tale ...

The central thematic arc would be a bit of a trope, 'tinkering in systems with extraordinary power setting off extraordinary consequences,'  but given to the travails of AGW and humanity's glut for energy that are here and clearly present dangers, would give that trope a very special sort of penetrative relevancy (to put it nicely... )

".... Researchers from QUT's Centre for Materials Science, led by Associate Professor Liangzhi Kou, were part of an international study that used theoretical modelling to identify six metals (nickel, niobium, palladium, rhenium, rhodium, zirconium) that were found to be effective in a reaction that can convert carbon dioxide into sustainable and clean energy sources."  the used advancing AI/Super computers to ferret this out -

In "The pendulum ice age"  ... innovation exceeds the wise foresight.  It was calculated in the earlier eras of empirical AGW's proof of occurrence, after the great dying of mid century: since compensatory technologies got us in trouble, they will be needed in semblance of proportionality to serve us our savior.  History's greatest evolutionary challenges contain a leitmotif: during any din of crisis. those that walked out and lived to reproduce, dusted off because they relied upon human ability to innovate solutions.  

Nodal machines dot the intercontinental lands by the year 2084, while at equidistant, those power-plant processing platforms, were moved into positions out over the open vastness of the Earth's oceanic expanses. Their eerie homage to a bionic world transforming, the 'C02 Terra Reclamation Impact Matrix', this was the first ever example in human history. The first of its kind in so many varied and textured distinctions, ranging from the shear sophistication awe in technological specter, to the the fact that it involves the entire world stage. It indicated of our species arrival:  we are succeeded Kardashev Level 1 Civilization distinction - if proximately. 

Albeit quite primitive in an Cosmological scale or sense therein, still these godly roads compared like a magic carpet ride to the trails wagon wielding crank and shaft mechanization.  Or the eras between, from A-bombs to Pandemic management? Thosse seem like day 1 of freshman life, compared to this, the graduating test en meritus.  "CTRIM" marks the first move into a future where all societies could collectively feel the satisfaction of a deep breath in relief.

But lingering out there was that trope: Great systems of great power may born consequence proportionately handsome ... even just a little bit ...  But CTRIM was geophysically derived. It had in a hurried motivation - to put it necessarily ... - met with all presumed testing. Each sub-beta-N stage introduced more complexity, more so to analog the "known" nearly fractal nature that pervades the essence of a cause-and-effect dynamic realm of feedback called Nature. The iterations finally bringing to bear a version of the technology, giving returns that limited unintended or emergent ramification, below a theoretical tolerance.  So long as returns do not impose 1.61803% negative feedback, they didn't synergistically propagate toward toppling the initial system - it just is what it was, that peculiar value was the threshold percentage. 

And so it was, the best way to reduce the surplussed C02 ... while simultaneously providing uninterrupted energy to power the 'orgasm of humanity's various need-perceptions,' the the ambient C02 fell. Energy became a blinding surplus, actually. At first, the error was ignored. It's hard to label something as a problem, when the goal is being achieved an order of magnitude faster than the design of any problem solving method. The system in question was also simply never tested for positive returns. Blunder? The conceit of the achievement blinds like love. But compensatory kinematic feedbacks are another area of fractals that proves the folly-makers pride. It's like in that [ probably ] top 10 movies of all time, "War Games," "...Strange game.  The only winning move is, not to play."  

• Like 2

Loved that this happened

https://twitter.com/i/events/1446527968159969284

Yesterday
The U.N. declares access to a clean environment a human right
'This has life-changing potential in a world where the global environmental crisis causes more than nine million premature deaths every year,' said David Boyd, U.N. special rapporteur on human rights and the environment.

The US UK China India didn't want this, but they are the major polluters of the planet so they have a major conflict of interest and they got voted down by the rest of the planet!

On 10/8/2021 at 11:32 AM, Typhoon Tip said:

The central thematic arc would be a bit of a trope, 'tinkering in systems with extraordinary power setting off extraordinary consequences,'  but given to the travails of AGW and humanity's glut for energy that are here and clearly present dangers, would give that trope a very special sort of penetrative relevancy (to put it nicely... )

".... Researchers from QUT's Centre for Materials Science, led by Associate Professor Liangzhi Kou, were part of an international study that used theoretical modelling to identify six metals (nickel, niobium, palladium, rhenium, rhodium, zirconium) that were found to be effective in a reaction that can convert carbon dioxide into sustainable and clean energy sources."  the used advancing AI/Super computers to ferret this out -

In "The pendulum ice age"  ... innovation exceeds the wise foresight.  It was calculated in the earlier eras of empirical AGW's proof of occurrence, after the great dying of mid century: since compensatory technologies got us in trouble, they will be needed in semblance of proportionality to serve us our savior.  History's greatest evolutionary challenges contain a leitmotif: during any din of crisis. those that walked out and lived to reproduce, dusted off because they relied upon human ability to innovate solutions.  

Nodal machines dot the intercontinental lands by the year 2084, while at equidistant, those power-plant processing platforms, were moved into positions out over the open vastness of the Earth's oceanic expanses. Their eerie homage to a bionic world transforming, the 'C02 Terra Reclamation Impact Matrix', this was the first ever example in human history. The first of its kind in so many varied and textured distinctions, ranging from the shear sophistication awe in technological specter, to the the fact that it involves the entire world stage. It indicated of our species arrival:  we are succeeded Kardashev Level 1 Civilization distinction - if proximately. 

Albeit quite primitive in an Cosmological scale or sense therein, still these godly roads compared like a magic carpet ride to the trails wagon wielding crank and shaft mechanization.  Or the eras between, from A-bombs to Pandemic management? Thosse seem like day 1 of freshman life, compared to this, the graduating test en meritus.  "CTRIM" marks the first move into a future where all societies could collectively feel the satisfaction of a deep breath in relief.

But lingering out there was that trope: Great systems of great power may born consequence proportionately handsome ... even just a little bit ...  But CTRIM was geophysically derived. It had in a hurried motivation - to put it necessarily ... - met with all presumed testing. Each sub-beta-N stage introduced more complexity, more so to analog the "known" nearly fractal nature that pervades the essence of a cause-and-effect dynamic realm of feedback called Nature. The iterations finally bringing to bear a version of the technology, giving returns that limited unintended or emergent ramification, below a theoretical tolerance.  So long as returns do not impose 1.61803% negative feedback, they didn't synergistically propagate toward toppling the initial system - it just is what it was, that peculiar value was the threshold percentage. 

And so it was, the best way to reduce the surplussed C02 ... while simultaneously providing uninterrupted energy to power the 'orgasm of humanity's various need-perceptions,' the the ambient C02 fell. Energy became a blinding surplus, actually. At first, the error was ignored. It's hard to label something as a problem, when the goal is being achieved an order of magnitude faster than the design of any problem solving method. The system in question was also simply never tested for positive returns. Blunder? The conceit of the achievement blinds like love. But compensatory kinematic feedbacks are another area of fractals that proves the folly-makers pride. It's like in that [ probably ] top 10 movies of all time, "War Games," "...Strange game.  The only winning move is, not to play."  

Good morning Tip, I’ve read and re-read this wonderful foray into ‘truth is stranger’ than science fiction genre. It alarmed me more than any of the present dire predictions. As always …..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Loved that this happened

https://twitter.com/i/events/1446527968159969284

Yesterday
The U.N. declares access to a clean environment a human right
'This has life-changing potential in a world where the global environmental crisis causes more than nine million premature deaths every year,' said David Boyd, U.N. special rapporteur on human rights and the environment.

The US UK China India didn't want this, but they are the major polluters of the planet so they have a major conflict of interest and they got voted down by the rest of the planet!

Good morning Liberty. Interesting, after a night of drunken excess, who you find yourself in bed with, ‘after’ you wake up. As always …..

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2021 at 11:32 AM, Typhoon Tip said:

We're not Kardashev level one- we are at around 0.72.  I imagine what we are going through now is childsplay compared to the upheaval that will occur when we are on the threshold of being a Level 1- if we even make it to that point.  Probably around 2100 as you say and I do envision a Post-Matrix reality like you described.  People must learn to think for themselves and live without relying on the pollution causing framework that's been a characteristic of the 20th century.

Truer words were never written or spoken:

"The only winning move is, not to play."  

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 12:18 PM, LibertyBell said:

We're not Kardashev level one- we are at around 0.72.  I imagine what we are going through now is childsplay compared to the upheaval that will occur when we are on the threshold of being a Level 1- if we even make it to that point.  Probably around 2100 as you say and I do envision a Post-Matrix reality like you described.  People must learn to think for themselves and live without relying on the pollution causing framework that's been a characteristic of the 20th century.

Truer words were never written or spoken:

"The only winning move is, not to play."  

Right no.  I would guess .72 is actually quite generous.   We are south of .5 K by a goodly margin.  Dr Michio Kaku would agree, fwiw - I mean, not that name dropping should particularly mean anything, just sayn'. 

We have the technological intelligence to make the step, at our earliest convenience. 

Therein is the problem - it is not deemed convenient to do so. 

It would help if/when the oligarchies of the planet suddenly ( not a conspiracy, but a "soft" conspiracy - I can explain what the adjective means in this context ) have no choice but to connect the climate crisis directly to their status. Only then does it becomes hugely convenient. It's "empathy for the emperor," and just like the good little slaves to the hierarchical social command structuring inbred in all primate "pack conditions,"  the weight of both science and their celebrities makes doubters exceptionally fringed.  Then, the automaton masses feel the weight of science and instinct of ceding to the alpha. In such reality, no sweat - technologies like any so called fictional "CRIM" ( C02 Reclamation Impact Matrix) would be on the drafting tables, yesterday.

I can see those staring at the pendulum ice wall saying, "CRIM reaper" is more like it ...

That "post Matrix" realm... is a mad scramble. Survival kicks in at a collective desperation, flight or fight taking place during a "the big dying" ... which I glossed over in turn of phrase in that.. heh. 

What is TBD: a break-down in the ocean phytoplankton C02- 02 exchange that unexpectedly accelerates the mass extinction event that is not only taking place, but few are really aware out here in reality ( btw -  ..)  It leaps incrementally when that happens; the toppling rather abruptly in a generational sense becomes advocated via appealing to the corporeal senses of a species that seems to only humor ideas of catastrophe, if/when the mere idea is not actually causing discomfort.   etc...etc...

You touched on an aspect also in this book... the complacency of multi-generation convenience addling by and within the Fossil Fuel illusory bubble of safety and ****ing (It's reeking of "Fermi P " at that point ;)   ) .. CRIM tried to do without the pollution matrix of pre -TBD

Anyway, the so-called "post-matrix" .. It's a new deal.  A faux optimism,however, evinces when the crisis we've put our selves in has a fractal propagation to it, already set into motion.. and the more we correct, ..it's almost like time travel variance/paradox, - the rest follows..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Right no.  I would guess .72 is actually quite generous.   We are south of .5 K by a goodly margin.  Dr Michio Kaku would agree, fwiw - I mean, not that name dropping should particularly mean anything, just sayn'. 

We have the technological intelligence to make the step, at our earliest convenience. 

If the oligarchies of the planet that ( not a conspiracy, but a "soft" conspiracy - I can explain what the adjective means in this context ) connect the climate crisis directly to their status, then it becomes suddenly hugely convenient...  Technologies like a so called envisioned "CRIM" ( C02 Reclamation Impact Matrix) would be on the drafting tables, yesterday. ... I can see those staring at the pendulum icewall saying, "CRIM reaper" is more like it ...

That "post Matrix" realm... is a mad scramble. Survival kicks in at a collective desperation, flight or fight taking place during a "the big dying" ... which I glossed over in turn of phrase in that.. heh. 

What is TBD: a break-down in the ocean phytoplankton C02- 02 exchange that unexpectedly accelerates the mass extinction event that is not only taking place, but few are really aware out here in reality ( btw -  ..)  It leaps incrementally when that happens; the toppling rather abruptly in a generational sense becomes advocated via appealing to the corporeal senses of a species that seems to only humor ideas of catastrophe, if/when the mere idea is not actually causing discomfort.   etc...etc...

You touched on an aspect also in this book... the complacency of multi-generation convenience addling by and within the Fossil Fuel illusory bubble of safety and ****ing (It's reeking of "Fermi P " at that point ;)   ) .. CRIM tried to do without the pollution matrix of pre -TBD

Anyway, the so-called "post-matrix" .. It's a new deal.  A faux optimism,however, evinces when the crisis we've put our selves in has a fractal propagation to it, already set into motion.. and the more we correct, ..it's almost like time travel variance/paradox, - the rest follows..

Good evening Tip. I’ve read and re-read this also. I don't feel any better. It did jog a, long ago, young married memory. My wife was bemoaning our row house roach infestation. The neighborhood exterminator was on retainer and could have also delivered the daily paper. My lost love, seeking comfort from me, wailed how can we, the city/state/country get rid of these vermin pests? I replied “very simple” as she looked at me with hopeful eyes, I said …”declare them edible” I believe it was at that moment I joined their ranks. Ergo co2. As always ….

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If the oligarchies of the planet that ( not a conspiracy, but a "soft" conspiracy - I can explain what the adjective means in this context ) connect the climate crisis directly to their status, then it becomes suddenly hugely convenient...  Technologies like a so called envisioned "CRIM" ( C02 Reclamation Impact Matrix) would be on the drafting tables, yesterday. ... I can see those staring at the pendulum icewall saying, "CRIM reaper" is more like it ...

Dr Kaku is one of my favorites!  I wish he got more attention than he does- he doesn't get cited nearly enough, he has some excellent papers on string theory on his site.

The 0.72 figure was actually an estimate by Carl Sagan.  I wonder if progress is linear or maybe we have digressed since he made that estimate?  A variety of factors were used to calculate it and I don't think it's a slam dunk that the only way to go is up.

Phase 1 would involve harnessing the full power of the sun, being able to precisely control the climate and weather and some other properties we aren't anywhere near.

The oligarchies and the general problem of power and wealth concentrated in a very few is a major problem and the main reason we don't see progress.  The only way I see out of it is a revolution and  a very violent one at that.  I see that in humanity's future in this century and with easy accessibility to weapons of mass destruction no matter what governments try to do to abridge rights (or perhaps because of it), I feel it is inevitable.

The fact that people are in denial about the accelerating mass extinction event shows how ignorant humanity is.  It started along with the industrial revolution and has only accelerated since then.  I still believe a Foundation like scenario is the only way out-- instead of trying to save everyone hard choices will have to be made and only the best and brightest will be able to be saved (let's leave the oligarchy out of it, we should save only those who make big positive contributions to society, not to their own wallets.)  The mass extinction event is like a tipping point or phase transition, it happens "quietly" in the background-- until it doesn't!  Eventually a critical point is reached and by then it's too late and all the dominoes will fall (including humanity).  Humanity is part of the environment and what we do to it we do to ourselves.

The complacence caused by technology and the fossil fuel cartels which dumb down humanity with their propaganda is definitely like an addictive drug and the awakening will be rude when people have no choice but to awaken from their stupor.    The Fermi Paradox with the Great Filter lying ahead of us is the only outcome that makes sense to me in this context.  

Since you brought up fractals, which I love (I see fractals in all aspects of nature and humanity is part of nature so.....), I was wondering if you read the classic sci fi story Past, Present and Future.  I think you would love it, it touches on many of these points and the peak of humanity's original thinking which actually occurred during the days of the ancient Greeks according to some.

It's available for free download in various formats here

https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20170467

7 hours ago, rclab said:

Good evening Tip. I’ve read and re-read this also. I don't feel any better. It did jog a, long ago, young married memory. My wife was bemoaning our row house roach infestation. The neighborhood exterminator was on retainer and could have also delivered the daily paper. My lost love, seeking comfort from me, wailed how can we, the city/state/country get rid of these vermin pests? I replied “very simple” as she looked at me with hopeful eyes, I said …”declare them edible” I believe it was at that moment I joined their ranks. Ergo co2. As always ….

I look forward to the day when humanity ditches its faulty organic bodies and we have forever bodies and the super intelligence to match.

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I look forward to the day when humanity ditches its faulty organic bodies and we have forever bodies and the super intelligence to match.

Good morning Liberty, Definitely a worthwhile dream. I would love to live in a time when it isn’t in the ‘and they lived happily ever after’ realm. As always ….

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Dr Kaku is one of my favorites!  I wish he got more attention than he does- he doesn't get cited nearly enough, he has some excellent papers on string theory on his site.

The 0.72 figure was actually an estimate by Carl Sagan.  I wonder if progress is linear or maybe we have digressed since he made that estimate?  A variety of factors were used to calculate it and I don't think it's a slam dunk that the only way to go is up.

Phase 1 would involve harnessing the full power of the sun, being able to precisely control the climate and weather and some other properties we aren't anywhere near.

The oligarchies and the general problem of power and wealth concentrated in a very few is a major problem and the main reason we don't see progress.  The only way I see out of it is a revolution and  a very violent one at that.  I see that in humanity's future in this century and with easy accessibility to weapons of mass destruction no matter what governments try to do to abridge rights (or perhaps because of it), I feel it is inevitable.

The fact that people are in denial about the accelerating mass extinction event shows how ignorant humanity is.  It started along with the industrial revolution and has only accelerated since then.  I still believe a Foundation like scenario is the only way out-- instead of trying to save everyone hard choices will have to be made and only the best and brightest will be able to be saved (let's leave the oligarchy out of it, we should save only those who make big positive contributions to society, not to their own wallets.)  The mass extinction event is like a tipping point or phase transition, it happens "quietly" in the background-- until it doesn't!  Eventually a critical point is reached and by then it's too late and all the dominoes will fall (including humanity).  Humanity is part of the environment and what we do to it we do to ourselves.

The complacence caused by technology and the fossil fuel cartels which dumb down humanity with their propaganda is definitely like an addictive drug and the awakening will be rude when people have no choice but to awaken from their stupor.    The Fermi Paradox with the Great Filter lying ahead of us is the only outcome that makes sense to me in this context.  

Since you brought up fractals, which I love (I see fractals in all aspects of nature and humanity is part of nature so.....), I was wondering if you read the classic sci fi story Past, Present and Future.  I think you would love it, it touches on many of these points and the peak of humanity's original thinking which actually occurred during the days of the ancient Greeks according to some.

It's available for free download in various formats here

https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20170467

“Original thinking” got my attention, I’m reading it now. As always …. 

• Like 1