Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,514
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
USCAPEWEATHERAF

Confirmed Tornado Hits Cape Cod from Yarmouth Port, MA to Chatham, MA

Recommended Posts

From 11:30 am when the first tornado warning was issued, until 1:00 pm when the storm exited the Chatham coastline, we witnessed the most harrowing hour and a half Cape Cod has ever witnessed.  This damage is worse then any other weather event at least since Hurricane Bob.  In many cases this was also worse than Bob.  The amazing sight of social media these days, we are allowed access to imagery we couldn't even imagined back ten or twelve years ago.  Today, countless eye witness accounts can confirm and help the NWS send out more precise warnings to their viewer ship and warning areas.  Communication is essential in disaster situations and this is another case.  The warnings were issued way in advance.  The radar and satellite technology at the fingertips of weather science has revolutionized our abilities to detect tornadoes without the confirmation of sight.  Today we comibined both as radar known as Correlation Coefficient allows us to detect other things in the air other than precipitation, such as debris in the air if a tornado is on the ground.  Tpday I hope we can learn from this unforuntate disaster and peoplpe will be prepared better for the next disaster to come.  THis was an amazing experience and I have never witnessed such intense winds ever in my lifetime.  Damage photes are everywhere on twitter.  Just see my profile @89nich.  The sounds of chainsaws and trees being crunched are filling the air today.  Be safe!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where the hell you been the last 18 hrs?  2 of the biggest severe events of your lifetime and you're MIA from the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Where the hell you been the last 18 hrs?  2 of the biggest severe events of your lifetime and you're MIA from the forum.

I have been posting Bob.  I will post a blog of my experience the last 12-18 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I have been posting Bob.  I will post a blog of my experience the last 12-18 hours.

Posting where?  You posted nothing last night during that event and nothing till the end of this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend in Chatham reports half a dozen uprooted trees in his yard, and another dozen large branches on the ground. On generator; eversource isn't saying when they think power will be back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I have been posting Bob.  I will post a blog of my experience the last 12-18 hours.

Looking forward to it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Was this the first tornado of 2019 for New England?

2019_annual_map_torn.gif

It would appear so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dendrite said:

Suddenly his novels became non-fiction.

James the new katdog? or who was the poster who used to predict the future lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems events and/or setups (with this type of potential) have become increasingly more common the last several years. Not to steer this into the whole climate change idea but you really have to wonder if this sort of trend will continue. Even for New England in general we've seen so many more setups where a tornado isn't all that unlikely. 

When I first started following SPC outlooks sometime in the early 2000's or so I seem to remember like maybe once or twice a summer they would have the term "tornado" in with any New England discussion. The last several years it seems like 95% of our risk areas has mention of the term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

James, don't take responsibility for other people's work on twitter

lol. What does this mean?  What did he do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

James, don't take responsibility for other people's work on twitter

Have you read his newest novel? It's called "Moby Dick." I hear it's receiving some critical acclaim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Looking forward to it. 

It all began Monday night at about 11:47 PM EDT. I was eagerly awaiting the GFS to get beyond hr 180 as it showed a circulation of cirrus clouds off the Bahamas. On the monitor to the right were the latest SST's off the eastern seaboard with the latest update occurring earlier that day. The map showed above-average SST's off the eastern seaboard. I was beginning to think this area of cirrus could blossom into a category 3 hurricane given these SST's. 

While waiting for the GFS to update, I glanced over at my latest novel, "Tornadoes on the Cape". Then it occurred to me, I had written a post on American talking about a hybrid low pressure and cold fronts, etc. I quickly turned my attention to the forecast models on the Cape. As I looked thoughts were racing through my mind, "WARM WATERS, HIGH CAPE, HIGH SHEAR, WARM WATERS, COLD FRONT, WARM WATERS". Tornadoes entered my mind. I stayed awake all night in anticipation. 

Finally at about 10:30 AM I was tracking an area of t'storms...even supercells south of Long Island moving in my direction...waterspouts looked likely. I was exhausted, couldn't stay awake any longer so I thought I'd take a quick nap. Well a quick nap turned into hours. When I awoke I jumped to the radar...it passed...WTF. I go outside...damage everywhere, trees down, roofs blown off, utilities poles snapped. I couldn't believe it...did a tornado pass through my area and I was asleep? I jumped onto twitter, saw some videos. Someone asked me if they could share a video I didn't even take. In the excitement of the moment I said yes...I jumped up and down like a kid getting a cookie. Then I had realized, I just committed fraud and quickly mentioned that I was not the one who took the video. 

 

  • Haha 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

It all began Monday night at about 11:47 PM EDT. I was eagerly awaiting the GFS to get beyond hr 180 as it showed a circulation of cirrus clouds off the Bahamas. On the monitor to the right were the latest SST's off the eastern seaboard with the latest update occurring earlier that day. The map showed above-average SST's off the eastern seaboard. I was beginning to think this area of cirrus could blossom into a category 3 hurricane given these SST's. 

While waiting for the GFS to update, I glanced over at my latest novel, "Tornadoes on the Cape". Then it occurred to me, I had written a post on American talking about a hybrid low pressure and cold fronts, etc. I quickly turned my attention to the forecast models on the Cape. As I looked thoughts were racing through my mind, "WARM WATERS, HIGH CAPE, HIGH SHEAR, WARM WATERS, COLD FRONT, WARM WATERS". Tornadoes entered my mind. I stayed awake all night in anticipation. 

Finally at about 10:30 AM I was tracking an area of t'storms...even supercells south of Long Island moving in my direction...waterspouts looked likely. I was exhausted, couldn't stay awake any longer so I thought I'd take a quick nap. Well a quick nap turned into hours. When I awoke I jumped to the radar...it passed...WTF. I go outside...damage everywhere, trees down, roofs blown off, utilities poles snapped. I couldn't believe it...did a tornado pass through my area and I was asleep? I jumped onto twitter, saw some videos. Someone asked me if they could share a video I didn't even take. In the excitement of the moment I said yes...I jumped up and down like a kid getting a cookie. Then I had realized, I just committed fraud and quickly mentioned that I was not the one who took the video. 

 

lolz. Is that what he wrote?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SPC page currently has two separate reports from the Cape for the day, indicating two tornadoes. Remarks say one has been confirmed by survey, while the other was radar-indicated but a survey is ongoing. So was this one tornado or two? Obviously there was a lot of straight-line wind damage as well, but I'm curious about the official number for the tor(s).

Pretty interesting event, considering mesoanalysis was showing almost no SBCAPE when the tornado touched down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ct_yankee said:

SPC page currently has two separate reports from the Cape for the day, indicating two tornadoes. Remarks say one has been confirmed by survey, while the other was radar-indicated but a survey is ongoing. So was this one tornado or two? Obviously there was a lot of straight-line wind damage as well, but I'm curious about the official number for the tor(s).

Pretty interesting event, considering mesoanalysis was showing almost no SBCAPE when the tornado touched down.

Yep

2 nados

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201907241959-KBOX-NOUS41-PNSBOX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×