Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Confirmed Tornado Hits Cape Cod from Yarmouth Port, MA to Chatham, MA

USCAPEWEATHERAF

5 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, I think that makes sense based on radar data too.

Two tornadoes, one storm.

Yeah, the parent supercell/mesocyclone struck the entire length of the south coast of Cape Cod from the Elizabeth Islands, southwest of Falmouth, MA where the supercell's mesocyclone was producing water spouts or potential water spouts.  The supercell absorbed the mesolow and created a large circulation that enveloped most of the Cape Cod area at one time.  Especially south of Route 6, the Mid-Cape Highway.  South of the Highway, the supercell and parent circulation spawned the first radar indicated tornado as the Correlation Coefficient radar picked up a debris signature over South Yarmouth, just southwest of the Bass River and the town line of Dennis and Yarmouth.  Then the confirmed reports from the NWS damage survey team suggests the tornado roped out and lifted and then redeveloped over South Harwich and moved about a 50 yards to the northwest of my backyard where my street got lashed by two wind downbursts, according to what I observed on the velocity radar it showed the southeast flank of the circulation strike the entire area where the first initial downburst was quite weak, about 40mph winds, while the circulation past to the immediate north of my house, the second burst struck the area, and what Reed Timmer suggests as the Rear Flank Downdraft, which he said is only present when a tornado is on the ground.  I believe he said that.  I could be corrected, Paul?  That burst of winds was definitely over 100mph winds.  Our large double trunk pine tree was completely uprooted.  Signs of the damage suggest it was caused by a legit circulation and not straight-line winds.  Once the winds struck and debris started flying everywhere, my two brothers, my sister and mom and I all went straight into our basement.  A lot of people are saying the extent of the damage and the concentration in my town of Harwich, MA was the worst everyone has ever seen.  Worst than Bob.  The NWS says that the path width of the tornado was as big as 250 yards, which is quite wide.  It also lasted two-plus miles.  We lost power at around 12;30 p.m once the town deemed it necessary for public safety that they cut the power to most of the town, over 93%.  We gained our power back between 1 pm and 3 pm.  I was taking a nap when it was restored.  

Hey Paul the story of the fraud part is that I took a video and posted one or two from the storms the previous night, and he asked me the next day, after the tornado event, if he could use my video, I actually thought he was talking about my video, I didn't realize there was an actual video of the tornado on twitter already, until I realized what my discussion was linked too.  I quickly corrected the story once I realized what he was indeed asking for, so I wasn't trying to take any credit away from Mario Jey.  

5 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Hey Paul the story of the fraud part is that I took a video and posted one or two from the storms the previous night, and he asked me the next day, after the tornado event, if he could use my video, I actually thought he was talking about my video, I didn't realize there was an actual video of the tornado on twitter already, until I realized what my discussion was linked too.  I quickly corrected the story once I realized what he was indeed asking for, so I wasn't trying to take any credit away from Mario Jey.  

it's all good...just busting 

On 7/25/2019 at 12:28 AM, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Yeah, the parent supercell/mesocyclone struck the entire length of the south coast of Cape Cod from the Elizabeth Islands, southwest of Falmouth, MA where the supercell's mesocyclone was producing water spouts or potential water spouts.  The supercell absorbed the mesolow and created a large circulation that enveloped most of the Cape Cod area at one time.  Especially south of Route 6, the Mid-Cape Highway.  South of the Highway, the supercell and parent circulation spawned the first radar indicated tornado as the Correlation Coefficient radar picked up a debris signature over South Yarmouth, just southwest of the Bass River and the town line of Dennis and Yarmouth.  Then the confirmed reports from the NWS damage survey team suggests the tornado roped out and lifted and then redeveloped over South Harwich and moved about a 50 yards to the northwest of my backyard where my street got lashed by two wind downbursts, according to what I observed on the velocity radar it showed the southeast flank of the circulation strike the entire area where the first initial downburst was quite weak, about 40mph winds, while the circulation past to the immediate north of my house, the second burst struck the area, and what Reed Timmer suggests as the Rear Flank Downdraft, which he said is only present when a tornado is on the ground.  I believe he said that.  I could be corrected, Paul?  That burst of winds was definitely over 100mph winds.  Our large double trunk pine tree was completely uprooted.  Signs of the damage suggest it was caused by a legit circulation and not straight-line winds.  Once the winds struck and debris started flying everywhere, my two brothers, my sister and mom and I all went straight into our basement.  A lot of people are saying the extent of the damage and the concentration in my town of Harwich, MA was the worst everyone has ever seen.  Worst than Bob.  The NWS says that the path width of the tornado was as big as 250 yards, which is quite wide.  It also lasted two-plus miles.  We lost power at around 12;30 p.m once the town deemed it necessary for public safety that they cut the power to most of the town, over 93%.  We gained our power back between 1 pm and 3 pm.  I was taking a nap when it was restored.  

I'm not Wiz but that is incorrect, many times you have an RFD with no tornado, and vice versa. There was a theory that correlated tornadogenesis with RFDs, and certain kinds of RFDs in particular, but the latest in detailed computer simulations suggests the RFD is more a consequence of the tornado then a cause (look at Dr. Leigh Orf's work).

Edit: Phrased that badly, did not mean to imply tornado causes RFD, as noted the two phenomena occur independently sometimes

15 hours ago, ct_yankee said:

I'm not Wiz but that is incorrect, many times you have an RFD with no tornado, and vice versa. There was a theory that correlated tornadogenesis with RFDs, and certain kinds of RFDs in particular, but the latest in detailed computer simulations suggests the RFD is more a consequence of the tornado then a cause (look at Dr. Leigh Orf's work).

Edit: Phrased that badly, did not mean to imply tornado causes RFD, as noted the two phenomena occur independently sometimes

Yeah I wasn't sure. thanks for specifying, but the velocity radar showed this RFD developing.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:06 PM, ct_yankee said:

Yeah that is incorrect. 

Blog post:

The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli. I got about fifty feet out my door and suddenly, the great beast appeared before me. I tell you it was ten stories wide if it was a foot. As if sensing my presence, it let out a great bellow like a freight train. I said, "Easy, big fella!" And then, as I watched it struggling, I realized that something was obstructing its circulation. From where I was standing, I could see directly into the eye of the great storm.  Well then, from out of nowhere, a huge tidal wave lifted me, tossed me like a cork, and I found myself right on top of it - face to face with the funnel cloud. I could barely see from the waves crashing down upon me, but I knew something was there. So I reached my hand in, felt around, and pulled out the obstruction.  A hotel roof.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 7/26/2019 at 3:06 PM, ct_yankee said:

The RFD is a component of a supercell. Most simply I can put it is that the rotating updraft causes pressure perturbations in the vertical structure. A high in the middle of the storm and low pressure at the surface. This drives mid level air towards the ground, which is what we call the RFD.

anomalous_motion_directional_splits.jpg

Now all supercells do not produce tornadoes, therefore RFDs are not only present when tornadoes are present. 

Some research does suggest the character of the RFD (i.e. warm, buoyant vs. cold, stable) can be a possible source of tornadogenesis. But there is other work that suggest that horizontal vorticity of the forward flank being ingested is a larger driver. Which is to say that we really don't fully understand tornadogenesis. 

But Dr. Orf's simulations are pretty jaw dropping FYI.