• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Confirmed Tornado Hits Cape Cod from Yarmouth Port, MA to Chatham, MA

USCAPEWEATHERAF

From 11:30 am when the first tornado warning was issued, until 1:00 pm when the storm exited the Chatham coastline, we witnessed the most harrowing hour and a half Cape Cod has ever witnessed.  This damage is worse then any other weather event at least since Hurricane Bob.  In many cases this was also worse than Bob.  The amazing sight of social media these days, we are allowed access to imagery we couldn't even imagined back ten or twelve years ago.  Today, countless eye witness accounts can confirm and help the NWS send out more precise warnings to their viewer ship and warning areas.  Communication is essential in disaster situations and this is another case.  The warnings were issued way in advance.  The radar and satellite technology at the fingertips of weather science has revolutionized our abilities to detect tornadoes without the confirmation of sight.  Today we comibined both as radar known as Correlation Coefficient allows us to detect other things in the air other than precipitation, such as debris in the air if a tornado is on the ground.  Tpday I hope we can learn from this unforuntate disaster and peoplpe will be prepared better for the next disaster to come.  THis was an amazing experience and I have never witnessed such intense winds ever in my lifetime.  Damage photes are everywhere on twitter.  Just see my profile @89nich.  The sounds of chainsaws and trees being crunched are filling the air today.  Be safe!

• Like 2

It seems events and/or setups (with this type of potential) have become increasingly more common the last several years. Not to steer this into the whole climate change idea but you really have to wonder if this sort of trend will continue. Even for New England in general we've seen so many more setups where a tornado isn't all that unlikely. 

When I first started following SPC outlooks sometime in the early 2000's or so I seem to remember like maybe once or twice a summer they would have the term "tornado" in with any New England discussion. The last several years it seems like 95% of our risk areas has mention of the term. 

14 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Looking forward to it. 

It all began Monday night at about 11:47 PM EDT. I was eagerly awaiting the GFS to get beyond hr 180 as it showed a circulation of cirrus clouds off the Bahamas. On the monitor to the right were the latest SST's off the eastern seaboard with the latest update occurring earlier that day. The map showed above-average SST's off the eastern seaboard. I was beginning to think this area of cirrus could blossom into a category 3 hurricane given these SST's. 

While waiting for the GFS to update, I glanced over at my latest novel, "Tornadoes on the Cape". Then it occurred to me, I had written a post on American talking about a hybrid low pressure and cold fronts, etc. I quickly turned my attention to the forecast models on the Cape. As I looked thoughts were racing through my mind, "WARM WATERS, HIGH CAPE, HIGH SHEAR, WARM WATERS, COLD FRONT, WARM WATERS". Tornadoes entered my mind. I stayed awake all night in anticipation. 

Finally at about 10:30 AM I was tracking an area of t'storms...even supercells south of Long Island moving in my direction...waterspouts looked likely. I was exhausted, couldn't stay awake any longer so I thought I'd take a quick nap. Well a quick nap turned into hours. When I awoke I jumped to the radar...it passed...WTF. I go outside...damage everywhere, trees down, roofs blown off, utilities poles snapped. I couldn't believe it...did a tornado pass through my area and I was asleep? I jumped onto twitter, saw some videos. Someone asked me if they could share a video I didn't even take. In the excitement of the moment I said yes...I jumped up and down like a kid getting a cookie. Then I had realized, I just committed fraud and quickly mentioned that I was not the one who took the video. 

• Haha 13

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

It all began Monday night at about 11:47 PM EDT. I was eagerly awaiting the GFS to get beyond hr 180 as it showed a circulation of cirrus clouds off the Bahamas. On the monitor to the right were the latest SST's off the eastern seaboard with the latest update occurring earlier that day. The map showed above-average SST's off the eastern seaboard. I was beginning to think this area of cirrus could blossom into a category 3 hurricane given these SST's. 

While waiting for the GFS to update, I glanced over at my latest novel, "Tornadoes on the Cape". Then it occurred to me, I had written a post on American talking about a hybrid low pressure and cold fronts, etc. I quickly turned my attention to the forecast models on the Cape. As I looked thoughts were racing through my mind, "WARM WATERS, HIGH CAPE, HIGH SHEAR, WARM WATERS, COLD FRONT, WARM WATERS". Tornadoes entered my mind. I stayed awake all night in anticipation. 

Finally at about 10:30 AM I was tracking an area of t'storms...even supercells south of Long Island moving in my direction...waterspouts looked likely. I was exhausted, couldn't stay awake any longer so I thought I'd take a quick nap. Well a quick nap turned into hours. When I awoke I jumped to the radar...it passed...WTF. I go outside...damage everywhere, trees down, roofs blown off, utilities poles snapped. I couldn't believe it...did a tornado pass through my area and I was asleep? I jumped onto twitter, saw some videos. Someone asked me if they could share a video I didn't even take. In the excitement of the moment I said yes...I jumped up and down like a kid getting a cookie. Then I had realized, I just committed fraud and quickly mentioned that I was not the one who took the video. 

lolz. Is that what he wrote?  

SPC page currently has two separate reports from the Cape for the day, indicating two tornadoes. Remarks say one has been confirmed by survey, while the other was radar-indicated but a survey is ongoing. So was this one tornado or two? Obviously there was a lot of straight-line wind damage as well, but I'm curious about the official number for the tor(s).

Pretty interesting event, considering mesoanalysis was showing almost no SBCAPE when the tornado touched down.

1 hour ago, ct_yankee said:

SPC page currently has two separate reports from the Cape for the day, indicating two tornadoes. Remarks say one has been confirmed by survey, while the other was radar-indicated but a survey is ongoing. So was this one tornado or two? Obviously there was a lot of straight-line wind damage as well, but I'm curious about the official number for the tor(s).

Pretty interesting event, considering mesoanalysis was showing almost no SBCAPE when the tornado touched down.

Yep

2 nados

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201907241959-KBOX-NOUS41-PNSBOX