Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hyrbid Low Pressure center to impact Southeastern Coastal New England

USCAPEWEATHERAF

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

LCL < 1000 m = good, 50 knots at 850 = good, effective shear ~ 60 knots = good, but what really pops out to me was 0-3 km shear approaching 60 knots. That gives you a lot of latitude for bowing segments and surges of wind to spin up brief tornadoes. It's quite possible that we had two quick ones on the Cape.

I'm guessing the local thermodynamic environment was slightly better than what the 12z CHH sounding showed.

I would think there were two different circulations. It was tough to tell but I thought there were two TDS signatures going on at times. 

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I would think there were two different circulations. It was tough to tell but I thought there were two TDS signatures going on at times. 

I think the consensus we've landed on is one TDS for sure, and the second is either inflow or potentially fanning out lofted debris.

But without seeing the damage on the ground my gut is there were two tornadoes here.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I think the consensus we've landed on is one TDS for sure, and the second is either inflow or potentially fanning out lofted debris.

But without seeing the damage on the ground my gut is there were two tornadoes here.

Yeah that's a good point...it may actually been fanning out lofted debris...that second TDS in question seemed to jump around quite a bit each scan...and in an odd motion which could certainly indicate it was lofted debris. Is it ZDR that can help with determining inflow? If I remember correctly I think ZDR values were super low...like 1 or 2 dB. I forget though how to use these for inflow. Would have to go back over the notes

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah that's a good point...it may actually been fanning out lofted debris...that second TDS in question seemed to jump around quite a bit each scan...and in an odd motion which could certainly indicate it was lofted debris. Is it ZDR that can help with determining inflow? If I remember correctly I think ZDR values were super low...like 1 or 2 dB. I forget though how to use these for inflow. Would have to go back over the notes

The biggest giveaways for inflow air is very low CC (<0.80) and low Z.

• Thanks 1