• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Big New England heat 7/19-21

weathafella

It’s hard to compare temps miles away with scattered clouds and good mixing. It’s not like there’s a steady rise and then fall during the day. You can get 2-3F swings per minute with ASOS probes because of the aspiration and the responsiveness. That’s why they get averaged every 5 mins. Maybe it’s a hair high...idk. But I would guess the instrumentation is fine and that it would be a physical change of the land. Like CON dumping rocks around the ASOS. 

4 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I agree. It could very well be the ultimate hotspot.  Ineedsnow hitting 100 right here in town is a bit of validation.  I'm not convinced but its possible. Especially if BOX did check things out.  

How would you not be convinced if Innedsnow also hit 100F and BAF is 98F and possibly still rising?

I really don’t see any reason why 100F couldn’t have been hit.  Temps bounce around all day long, but smoothed our follow a diurnal curve usually.  But it might have just been warm enough to get 100F for a 5-min average... while BAF hit 100F but the 5-min average wasn’t enough to get that registered.  

3 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I agree. It could very well be the ultimate hotspot.  Ineedsnow hitting 100 right here in town is a bit of validation.  I'm not convinced but its possible. Especially if BOX did check things out.  

I thought they did anyway...thought there was a discussion in here about it.

Anyways though I think they have to check all equipment once per year or every few years anyways. They'll send someone out and re-calibrate everything and make sure everything is properly working. Being at the airport though it is certainly possible they are in a local heat spot. There isn't a tremendous amount of vegetation around the area (and maybe even moreso compared to these other sites) and that could make worlds difference.

As dendrite said too...tough with the clouds. Perhaps in that hour where the temp fell there were clouds that happened to get more in front of the sun while before the sun was unblocked. 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

And at some point we may have to just say some of the readings are fine. The MADIS QC jumps could also be changes in the processing or new meso stations coming online. I mean we’ve been tossing ASOS sites left and right lately. 

BDL didn't really have a big MADIS jump anyway recently. BOS I definitely think is warm...sudden move late last year that also fits the anecdotal evidence that all of us posted out during the winter. 

BDL is probably a legit tarmac fart...like scooter said. It's real but probably a degree or two warmer than most in the CT valley...but we know they can bake on west wind. It's why we started the jokes about BDL tarmac in the first place. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

And at some point we may have to just say some of the readings are fine. The MADIS QC jumps could also be changes in the processing or new meso stations coming online. I mean we’ve been tossing ASOS sites left and right lately. 

And it always seems because we think they run warm.  Seems much rarer to get one questioned on the cool side.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

BDL didn't really have a big MADIS jump anyway recently. BOS I definitely think is warm...sudden move late last year that also fits the anecdotal evidence that all of us posted out during the winter. 

BDL is probably a legit tarmac fart...like scooter said. It's real but probably a degree or two warmer than most in the CT valley...but we know they can bake on west wind. It's why we started the jokes about BDL tarmac in the first place. 

Right. Not saying it’s wrong, but when you spike like that and cool off 2F during prime heating....eh. 

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Pretty soon we'll be asking you, Kevin, and Scooter to go out and calibrate CON, BDL, and BOS if the budget keeps shrinking and retirements keep coming.

A lot of the techs are former vets that are retiring out at a pretty high rate right now, and you can see how quickly parts get ordered when a climate site gets fried in a thunderstorms.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Pretty soon we'll be asking you, Kevin, and Scooter to go out and calibrate CON, BDL, and BOS if the budget keeps shrinking and retirements keep coming.

A lot of the techs are former vets that are retiring out at a pretty high rate right now, and you can see how quickly parts get ordered when a climate site gets fried in a thunderstorms.

I noticed APF got fried the other day too after a TSRA. Now they have daytime manned obs and they're putting ASOS OTS at the end of them. I have no idea what OTS means in this instance, but I prefer to think the lightning zapped it out to sea.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I noticed APF got fried the other day too after a TSRA. Now they have daytime manned obs and they're putting ASOS OTS at the end of them. I have no idea what OTS means in this instance, but I prefer to think the lightning zapped it out to sea.

Sad to report it's not nearly that exciting (out of service).

CON was a transformer inside I guess? I don't know much about the indoor comms package. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Always nice to have rules of thumb. We have the 10 at 10 rule, and now the 10 off the Tarmac rule. 

ORH has a couple days last week they were like a healthy 10-12F lower than BDL for highs.  I brought it up because it’s like twice the dry lapse rate.  DIT in his heavily forested yard makes more sense with the canopy.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

I am still very upset over the lack of convection from this. Awful. It was fun to see some stuff pan out across NY last night but **** come on man...this sucks. 

Not sure why anyone cheers on highs dews up here for severe. Give me frequent fronts anyday.