• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald

Big New England heat 7/19-21

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think the heat recovers later today for eastern areas. Not sure about a hundo, but I think BOS-TAN-BDL pull a drier furnace this afternoon.

Pike south locked in with clouds several more hours as they stream west -east Everything is ruined 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Just being devil's advocate but ... the bold statement doesn't really prove anything...

We can doubt ... and to some amount, yeah...there's simultaneous melting?  But, I have seen it snow 6" at 34 F in early April -

It's a matter of fall rates. 

I recognize that as have I seen that phenomenon.   And maybe that one isn’t a clear example?   Maybe the isothermal geographic days when everyone is snowing at 30 including all coastal locales and BOS is snowing at 32-33 is a better example 

35 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Cloud deck breaking up here in N ORH county. 

Holy deer flies on the walk. Zapped at least 20

You guys need my dragon flies

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Pike south locked in with clouds several more hours as they stream east - west. Everything is ruined 

There's drier air working in from N to S. I think they'll slowly get eaten away. We'll see.

24 minutes ago, dryslot said:

This is fact, Same when some say it won't accumulate on the warmer asphalt......................:lol:

Lol...  beep beep beep ... back up a dump truck, tip -her up and dump a full load of hockey rink Zamboni shave in a 140 heat... I bet it accumulates - at least for a little while. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Pike south locked in with clouds several more hours as they stream west -east Everything is ruined 

Everything? We are having a pool party starting at 1. Are we ruined?

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I expect a collection of professionals paid by our tax dollars (not being political) to do a better job at being not only accurate, but laying out the range of ourcomes better. None of that occurred by Upton. It was balls to the wall EHW with record digits piling up on the scoreboard. Then, as usual, they kept shaving the forecast highs in wct yesterday with every update. It’s the same BS they do when they bust in snowstorms and wind events. The difference is this time it doesn’t matter, heat is heat...no one notices except me lol. But my argument is, they fumble much too frequently for having the best minds and the best tools at their disposal. 

Two record highs and records lows were broken in Uptons CWA. JFK, LGA and EWR hit 99.  Heat index at Islip and JFK were over 110 for hours.

what bust? Seriously, I don’t know what you are referring to.

28 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Media showing those HI maps this week and folks thinking those were going to be the surface temps......FTMFL

I told @CT Rain that. I think at least 5 people asked me yesterday if 110 was gonna happen today

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Two record highs and records lows were broken in Uptons CWA. JFK, LGA and EWR hit 99.  Heat index at Islip and JFK were over 110 for hours.

105-110F HIX for much of SNE yesterday afternoon. Seems pretty hot to me.

image.png

• Like 1

Thankfully not everyone lives in the inner cities. Poorly forecasted outside the skyscrapers and runways.

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Dude I  don't think once again we discuss Long Island and NYC in this subforum.  If we did there certainly would be a different tone especially in winter.

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I recognize that as have I seen that phenomenon.   And maybe that one isn’t a clear example?   Maybe the isothermal geographic days when everyone is snowing at 30 including all coastal locales and BOS is snowing at 32-33 is a better example 

Yeah... I don't recall/know about the exact physical/environmental conditions of that faithful event last March ... I was just speaking in general. 

Again, I'm not out to impugn Will and Scott's ( less than clear ) aggravation about Logan's instrumentation ...  ( I mean ...how do they really feel )

I wanna make it clear... in this situation from yesterday relaying into this morning I don't believe is a very good choice to example that error.   I believe it really was 82 in Boston given the surrounding ob consistency, and also accounting for particular initial factors.   Big urban exhausting of barotropic heat saturated air mass after high sun ...  You aren't winning that debate.

In the winter?  Yeah...f -yeah man!  I bet an error at that site could be whopper noticeable.  In fact, ... I have seen some instrumentation tend to manifest error more at one end of the dial - when we get into fair and impartial error accounting ... there's that peregrination to consider, too.

I guess it would just be easier to send some routine calibration tech to the site - but that's sci-fi policy.  I don't know what NWS/NCEP does to maintain their sites..  or what determines when and how they are tested.

This sucks that we are not going to get any good widespread convection from this...what complete and total garbage. Absolute trash. This is just such BS. What a horrific summer really...awful. It’s been a roller coaster of crap, except we never made it to the top. 

At least maybe there will be some soaking rains for some Monday night and Tuesday but this sucks. 

• Sad 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thankfully not everyone lives in the inner cities. Poorly forecasted outside the skyscrapers and runways.

So Islip is an inner city now? May want to open a map sometime. Suburban area 45 miles east of the city.

Montauk hit 93. Inner city?

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

105-110F HIX for much of SNE yesterday afternoon. Seems pretty hot to me.

image.png

Right, they had 110-115 for wct. Fell short by a good margin numbers wise. Still hot, nothing too extreme, we’ve had worse.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Dude I  don't think once again we discuss Long Island and NYC in this subforum.  If we did there certainly would be a different tone especially in winter.

He was referencing uptons alleged bust. LI is in upton area. How is that not fair game? 

Dews overperformed progs...I was a little worried about that late last week. But like we said, shave a couple degrees off the highs and lop them onto the dews and in the end it's the same heat indices.

21 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It does.

cooler at ORH than MPV lol

Same temp there... 89F at both unless you are thinking MVL.  

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I told @CT Rain that. I think at least 5 people asked me yesterday if 110 was gonna happen today

My max was 93, Hot yes, But not the extremes that some were thinking they were going to see, Same thing up here, I told quite a few when it was mentioned on FB highly doubtful were seeing 100°F surface temp.

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You guys need my dragon flies

We have zillions of dragon flies.  I had one land on my finger while in the pool yesterday. Fluorescent blue small guy.  They are eating well this summer.  

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Right, they had 110-115 for wct. Fell short by a good margin numbers wise. Still hot, nothing too extreme, we’ve had worse.

We've had worse, but that is pretty extreme. There's not a lot of mid/upper 90s with mid/upper 70s dews in our historical records.

• Like 1

Just now, psv88 said:

So Islip is an inner city now? May want to open a map sometime. Suburban area 45 miles east of the city.

Montauk hit 93. Inner city?

Glad we don’t live in congestion and smog.

He was referencing uptons alleged bust. LI is in upton area. How is that not fair game? 

We talk about CT, this is SNE subforum. Unfortunately we are tied to your zone.

The BOS 34F winter reference with snow was when it was like 30-32 everywhere else....

Obviously nobody else really cares about this stuff outside our forum but it's probably worth mentioning if BOS is approaching daily records. We pulled out the MADIS plots a couple weeks ago. I recall actually that BED was drifting too recently. Though the BOS drift started first. 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This sucks that we are not going to get any good widespread convection from this...what complete and total garbage. Absolute trash. This is just such BS. What a horrific summer really...awful. It’s been a roller coaster of crap, except we never made it to the top. 

At least maybe there will be some soaking rains for some Monday night and Tuesday but this sucks. 

:frostymelt:

• Haha 1

Just now, dendrite said:

Dews overperformed progs...I was a little worried about that late last week. But like we said, shave a couple degrees off the highs and lop them onto the dews and in the end it's the same heat indices.

There is no doubt yesterday was a scorcher. You dont see local news here but that 100 actual was blasted everywhere for yesterday and today.  I was hoping for a 100 somewhere but alas we are left with the joy of people getting wood over 81/80 at an ASOS

• Haha 1

Tell us how u really feel

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

It was a good call!

I was there with you ... I believe I opined at tl;dr length on a couple different occurrence, with not so veiled references to GW and the elevation of theta-e all over the planet phenomenon.  ...

I mean, NCEP has been noting in their "state of the climate" monthly addresses, that nocturnal lows have been elevated all over the world.  That's theta-e.  Sorry, across the diurnal cycle - you tell me ...what is the greatest guiding factor.   If some nimrod says clouds... clouds are moisture! ... It's all part of the same integration

Blah blah... My point is, I think elevating DPs is something that might just be part of the paradigm shift everyone is either busy discrediting, or cluelessly standing around waiting to happen.  Be that as it may or may not be, add water limits temperature. 

PV = NRT for the back of breakfast cereal boxes...

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We've had worse, but that is pretty extreme. There's not a lot of mid/upper 90s with mid/upper 70s dews in our historical records.

Yeah I’m not sure I get the bust calls.  

I mean I guess it’s like thinking you have a shot at a sub-zero high temp in winter and it ends up a high of +4F instead... but winds were higher and it’s still fukkin brutally cold out there.  

Its not 100F but 96/76 is about as hot and humid as it gets for New England.