SnowHabit
Big New England heat 7/19-21

weathafella

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

BAF 98 or 99
BDL 98 or 99
BOS 96 or 97

not sure what is mean with "or" ... are you rounding -

in any case, Utah metro west source has 96.8 at Boston at 13:30 for what it's worth...

and rounding or not, that's above yesterday for that location at the same time -

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

ot but why? They pulled this 6 day stretch last year for record high mins.

7/12 74 in 2002 67 in 2018 66 in 2014+
7/13 70 in 2018 70 in 2014 68 in 2012
7/14 69 in 2018 69 in 2005 68 in 2014
7/15 72 in 2018 71 in 2014 71 in 2005
7/16 69 in 2018 69 in 2010 68 in 2017+
7/17 69 in 2014 69 in 2005 68 in 2018

yeah they had quite a stretch last year where they were significantly above-average.

I'm sure they could maybe pull some records tomorrow night though I don't recall off hand what the record low min is for tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

in any case, Utah metro west source has 96.8 at Boston at 13:30 for what it's worth...

and rounding or now, that's above yesterday for that location at the same time -

I’m assuming Brian is calculating it from degrees Celsius in the METARS?  I was curious too how you get a 98 or 99 but that’s all I can think of, going off the C readings.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

and rounding or not, that's above yesterday for that location at the same time -

The 5 min obs (non METAR or SPECIs) come in via whole degrees celcius. That's what Mesowest gets in. So for BOS that's 36C. For BDL and BAF that was 37C. 36C converted to F is 96.8F. But that just means it is either 96F (35.6C) or 97F (36.1C). It's just a communications limitation from NOAA. I wish they'd just send every 5 min ob in tenths celcius and not whole celcius. Then you'd get the accurate reading in whole degrees F.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

78F up here at 1pm... SNE will be 20-degrees warmer than us this afternoon.

FROPA is through, wind is now NNW after a brief shower. 

Early high of 83F at 11am...now falling into 70s.

Nice.  I'll give you +10 degrees for this part of SNE.  :)

What time did the front come through?

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

78F up here at 1pm... SNE will be 20-degrees warmer than us this afternoon.

FROPA is through, wind is now NNW after a brief shower. 

Early high of 83F at 11am...now falling into 70s.

There is a west-east extending line near Bri's latitude on sat/vis ...I assume that's CU ...  WPC is analyzing the boundary as ALB-midriff Maine/PWM..  I suspect it's moving slowly though given to the parallel nature of the deep layer flow...

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The 5 min obs (non METAR or SPECIs) come in via whole degrees celcius. That's what Mesowest gets in. So for BOS that's 36C. For BDL and BAF that was 37C. 36C converted to F is 96.8F. But that just means it is either 96F (35.6C) or 97F (36.1C). It's just a cimmunications limitation from NOAA. I wish they'd just send every 5 min ob in tenths celcius and not whole celcius. Then you'd get the accurate reading in whole degrees F.

Okay... so rounding -

I'm curious how Utah's source decides that -

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hundy BDL. We did it!

Unnnnfortunately ... "WE" didn't do shit...  YOU don't get in due to your lack of faith and bad attitude earlier. 

For everyone else... Yeah!  woo- hooo ... we did it without Kevin. 

Better luck next time....

• Haha 5

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Okay... so rounding -

I'm curious how Utah's source decides that -

It's all from NOAA's servers. It's kinda weird because our ASOS stations will report obs in whole degrees F. But we stepped away from the surface aviation obs in 1996 to go with the international METAR coding. So those whole F temps get converted to C. They had to add a T group for temp and dew in the remarks section in order to report temp and dew in tenths celcius (so that we can convert back those readings in whole degrees F). It's a lot of bouncing back and forth. Utah/Mesowest is just converting what they get from NOAA. So the METARs and SPECI (special) obs have the T grouping in tenths, but the relatively new supplementary obs do not have the T group and it just comes in as whole degrees C in the body of the ob.

I guess pilots don't care if it's 96F or 97F. 36C is good enough for them.