Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Big New England heat 7/19-21

weathafella

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Sort of ... disagree -

It was called all week that this heat had problems .... I think what happens is what typically happens with J.Q. Public... folks hear what they want to, then, impugn the source for their own interpretation. 

That doesn't mean you per se... The on-camera mets also did not consider certain issues this whole thing had... They interpreted the MOS and synoptics, in total, the best they could.. Because if we did not get these cloud shrapnel ...  

That's the pulpit - folks don't come in here and necessarily read about caveats from one of these lesser known nooks and crannies of the web.

I know it was called out here. We are lucky to have this forum to weed out the poor public and social media ones, that’s kinda my point. The public, though, doesn’t know the difference between 98/72 and 93/77 so to them, it doesn’t matter. But I cringed at what was put out on TV and SM as the weekend approached. 

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I know it was called out here. We are lucky to have this forum to weed out the poor public and social media ones, that’s kinda my point. The public, though, doesn’t know the difference between 98/72 and 93/77 so to them, it doesn’t matter. But I cringed at what was put out on TV and SM as the weekend approached. 

right ...so, why does it matter "enough" to call this a bad forecast then? 

A young, ex-offensive NFL lineman died in Arkansas two days from heat stroke after working in 92/76 type air ... cooler than yesterday, in this part of the country.  Ha ha... I guess when we say "bad forecast" in this context, we just mean relative to our crushingly tedious, borderline Asperger obsessive requirements... LOL

5 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It does.

cooler at ORH than MPV lol

Well... keep in mind... Thunderstorms exhausted in that region during the middle evening hour there... That could certainly have given their temp falls a little extra momentum - just a supposition.

I'm detecting a weird kind of needlely persnickety critiquing going on in this social media this morning - y'all need to lighten up :)

Suns back out here... Sat shows it will be everywhere. May take a bit longer south. And though this little swath of heat toxin probably 86'ed ( pun intended ) the hundo crowd's hopes and aspirations... I for one am glad.  I think a HI of 105 is plenty  -

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Well i had edited my post, It doesn't happen very often.

Oh ...o-kay..

Yeah, we should know better... Guess we're out of our form and rusty to winter concepts..

I was just saying to Jer' there .... I've seen it snow prolific accumulations in April at 34 F .... It's all fall rates - ...So long as the fall, exceeds the rate of melt... you're in the plus.

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

right ...so, why does it matter "enough" to call this a bad forecast then? 

A ex-offensive lineman died in Arkansas two nights ago from working in 92/76 type air ... cooler than yesterday, in this part of the country.  Ha ha... I guess when we say "bad forecast" in this context, we just mean relative to our crushingly tedious, borderline Asperger obsessive requirements... LOL

I expect a collection of professionals paid by our tax dollars (not being political) to do a better job at being not only accurate, but laying out the range of ourcomes better. None of that occurred by Upton. It was balls to the wall EHW with record digits piling up on the scoreboard. Then, as usual, they kept shaving the forecast highs in wct yesterday with every update. It’s the same BS they do when they bust in snowstorms and wind events. The difference is this time it doesn’t matter, heat is heat...no one notices except me lol. But my argument is, they fumble much too frequently for having the best minds and the best tools at their disposal. 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh ...o-kay..

Yeah, we should know better... Guess we're out of our form and rusty to winter concepts..

I was just saying to Jer' there .... I've seen it snow prolific accumulations in April at 34 F .... It's all fall rates - ...So long as the fall, exceeds the rate of melt... you're in the plus.

This is fact, Same when some say it won't accumulate on the warmer asphalt......................:lol:

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Just being devil's advocate but ... the bold statement doesn't really prove anything...

We can doubt ... and to some amount, yeah...there's simultaneous melting?  But, I have seen it snow 6" at 34 F in early April -

It's a matter of fall rates. 

I recognize that as have I seen that phenomenon.   And maybe that one isn’t a clear example?   Maybe the isothermal geographic days when everyone is snowing at 30 including all coastal locales and BOS is snowing at 32-33 is a better example 

24 minutes ago, dryslot said:

This is fact, Same when some say it won't accumulate on the warmer asphalt......................:lol:

Lol...  beep beep beep ... back up a dump truck, tip -her up and dump a full load of hockey rink Zamboni shave in a 140 heat... I bet it accumulates - at least for a little while. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I expect a collection of professionals paid by our tax dollars (not being political) to do a better job at being not only accurate, but laying out the range of ourcomes better. None of that occurred by Upton. It was balls to the wall EHW with record digits piling up on the scoreboard. Then, as usual, they kept shaving the forecast highs in wct yesterday with every update. It’s the same BS they do when they bust in snowstorms and wind events. The difference is this time it doesn’t matter, heat is heat...no one notices except me lol. But my argument is, they fumble much too frequently for having the best minds and the best tools at their disposal. 

Two record highs and records lows were broken in Uptons CWA. JFK, LGA and EWR hit 99.  Heat index at Islip and JFK were over 110 for hours.

what bust? Seriously, I don’t know what you are referring to.

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Two record highs and records lows were broken in Uptons CWA. JFK, LGA and EWR hit 99.  Heat index at Islip and JFK were over 110 for hours.

105-110F HIX for much of SNE yesterday afternoon. Seems pretty hot to me.

image.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Thankfully not everyone lives in the inner cities. Poorly forecasted outside the skyscrapers and runways.

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Dude I  don't think once again we discuss Long Island and NYC in this subforum.  If we did there certainly would be a different tone especially in winter.

9 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I recognize that as have I seen that phenomenon.   And maybe that one isn’t a clear example?   Maybe the isothermal geographic days when everyone is snowing at 30 including all coastal locales and BOS is snowing at 32-33 is a better example 

Yeah... I don't recall/know about the exact physical/environmental conditions of that faithful event last March ... I was just speaking in general. 

Again, I'm not out to impugn Will and Scott's ( less than clear ) aggravation about Logan's instrumentation ...  ( I mean ...how do they really feel )

I wanna make it clear... in this situation from yesterday relaying into this morning I don't believe is a very good choice to example that error.   I believe it really was 82 in Boston given the surrounding ob consistency, and also accounting for particular initial factors.   Big urban exhausting of barotropic heat saturated air mass after high sun ...  You aren't winning that debate.

In the winter?  Yeah...f -yeah man!  I bet an error at that site could be whopper noticeable.  In fact, ... I have seen some instrumentation tend to manifest error more at one end of the dial - when we get into fair and impartial error accounting ... there's that peregrination to consider, too.

I guess it would just be easier to send some routine calibration tech to the site - but that's sci-fi policy.  I don't know what NWS/NCEP does to maintain their sites..  or what determines when and how they are tested.

This sucks that we are not going to get any good widespread convection from this...what complete and total garbage. Absolute trash. This is just such BS. What a horrific summer really...awful. It’s been a roller coaster of crap, except we never made it to the top. 

At least maybe there will be some soaking rains for some Monday night and Tuesday but this sucks. 

• Sad 1