Big New England heat 7/19-21

weathafella

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

9am obs

OWD 90F
BOS 89F
BED 88F

Just a torchy area

I was just looking at Bedford in Norwood and I just don't see Boss in as being "diagnosed" at this time?

There may have been a notable or suspicious series of incidences in the past where that site looked erroneous - I don't believe in the current circumstance it's going to reveal itselfI don't believe in the current circumstance it's going to reveal itself

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

9am obs

OWD 90F
BOS 89F
BED 88F

Just a torchy area

Nobody's denying that. But you've seen the BOS shift on the MADIS plots starting back in winter. It's pretty obvious to me they are a couple degrees warm on average. 

Depending on wind direction, the difference can either be more or less noticeable. On a well mixed west wind, its less noticeable because places like BED will furnace, but in calmer conditions or even in snowstorms, it was really obvious. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nobody's denying that. But you've seen the BOS shift on the MADIS plots starting back in winter. It's pretty obvious to me they are a couple degrees warm on average. 

Depending on wind direction, the difference can either be more or less noticeable. On a well mixed west wind, its less noticeable because places like BED will furnace, but in calmer conditions or even in snowstorms, it was really obvious. 

The big March snow this year really pointed it out.   So Logan reads 34 while efficiently accumulating snow in March.   Doubt.

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I look aghast at the western sky....

"aghast"

...shouldn't be...

"Expectant," ?   perhaps -

I may be speaking to the straw-man in the room but ... again again again... This was never going to be a "clean" heat departure.  Prone to flies being in the ointment.

The ridge was too flat.  We are almost directly underneath the westerlies - you know...?  That pesky thing called the jet stream, that transmits 'flies' ?  When one is in the firing line... heh -

As far as this cloud interval... I suggest folks study the myriad of different satellite resources that abound the web and see what's up -

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

"aghast"

...shouldn't be...

"Expectant," ?   perhaps -

I may be speaking to the straw-man in the room but ... again again again... This was never going to be a "clean" heat departure. 

The ridge was too flat.  We are almost directly underneath the westerlies - you know...?  That pesky thing called the jet stream, that transmits 'flies' ?  When one is in the firing line... heh -

As far as this cloud interval... I suggest folks study the myriad of different satellite resources that abound the web and see what's up -

Yeah it should be clear well before noon.

The horse flies are particularly big, gnarly and relentlessly helicoptering this year. 

I cycle as one of my work-out rotations... Have for years.  I've come to realize ...it is possible to pick up a heavier mass biting insect in the middle of your back.  The way it works is... you produce micro 'rotors' of wind around the sides of you back - similar to a semi-truck going down the highway.  On cold days with snow blowing off the top of the trailer ...you can trace this wind current that curls around the aft of the vehicle?  That same phenomenon allows a biting bug the size of a horse fly to slip into that relative calm in the middle of one's back in there and end up biting you right through your f-n shirt while hummin' along at 20 mph down one of the canopied woodland bike trails. 

Which happened to me recently ... They leave welts that are like three times bigger that skeeters - and they don't itch. There's not oddly satisfying sensation of scratching those suckers..

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

This was a poorly forecasted weekend. 

81/74, clouds. Yawn.

Sort of ... disagree -

It was called all week that this heat had problems .... I think what happens is what typically happens with J.Q. Public... folks hear what they want to, then, impugn the source for their own interpretation. 

That doesn't mean you per se... The on-camera mets also did not consider certain issues this whole thing had... They interpreted the MOS and synoptics, in total, the best they could.. Because if we did not get these cloud shrapnel ...  

That's the pulpit - folks don't come in here and necessarily read about caveats from one of these lesser known nooks and crannies of the web.

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Cloud deck breaking up here in N ORH county. 

Holy deer flies on the walk. Zapped at least 20

We were up in Petersham last evening and the deerflies were abominable.  Not nearly as bad on this side of the reservoir for whatever reason.

At any rate we're 81, mostly cloudy and a breeze at present.  

I said last night ... don't be surprised if we go through an interval of morning clouds again...

Glad everyone suspected it's arrival and passage ;)

But, it's clearing already... I can see blue west of me and satellite shows rocketing cloud motion...this'll likely acquiesce to more sun over the next hour. 

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The big March snow this year really pointed it out.   So Logan reads 34 while efficiently accumulating snow in March.   Doubt.

Just being devil's advocate but ... the bold statement doesn't really prove anything...

We can doubt ... and to some amount, yeah...there's simultaneous melting?  But, I have seen it snow 6" at 34 F in early April -

It's a matter of fall rates. 

It's frustrating though ... no doubt. For the 100 trophy seekers :)

This could not have been any more quintessentially perfectly wrongly timed... and, just to make sure it succeeds in b-f'ing your specific interesting ...it sprinkles actual water into the fire with this 1.5 hour poison.

It's easy to see why the ancients conjured religion -