Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Big New England heat 7/19-21

weathafella

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Still a warmer than normal run out there on the Euro (12z) ...  altho obviously it won't compare to this weekend - it may even "seem" cool after this abuse next Wednesday. 

It also suggests not-so-fast on the Monday fropa.. That pressure pattern looks like the front is trended slower, and with a S/W cutting through Michigan 12z that day...we may yet end up still on the warm side of things with bigger convection concerns with that look.  The 'real' cool back fropa isn't till early Tuesday.  

One day near 11 or so C at 850 and we're 13 to 16 C through the run.  

Meh...Euro is correctable beyond D4 just sayn'

Yeah a few folks have been mentioning this during the week. Very mehdown and back to 90’s Friday and beyond. What a stretch since we flipped hot and often humid late June 

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No the issue has always been the home stations can’t be compared to the ASOS because of the siting differences.  It’s comparing apples to oranges.  

Many of us grew up watching the Weather Channel or local news and they always used the ASOS station observations.  It’s why you like BDL because you see it on the news and it’s the station you care about.  But with dews, you’d see 55F at the ASOS and say “it was comfy today”, even if your backyard dew under trees might be 63F (you never knew or cared, you just watch the airport obs)....you associated what you felt to what was listed on TWC (Local on the 8s).  If the ASOS was showing 68F dew, you were like wow today was real humid but you never knew the dew in your backyard was 73F.  

I think a lot of us just associate our “feel” for the weather with what the ASOS says because that’s what you had growing up to look at.

And back in the Eastern days, most of those home stations were pretty poor quality too.  The ventilation/fans and technology of home stations has increased a lot in the last decade.

Yeah he misses the point.....every....single....time.

It's not that the davis stations in mulch beds are inaccurate, it's that our dewpoint scales for comfort have never been calibrated to the davis mulch dew points. When the "unofficial" tables were put out by meteorologists on TV decades ago and in text books, they were using the 55F dewpoint as comfortable based on airport obs since we didn't have a dense network of davis stations on someone's lawn. If they had used only mulch davis stations when they wrote those tables for comfort, they would have said 63F is pretty comfortable. This is the point he misses every time.

It's also why we are not impressed in a severe wx setup when Tolland Davis stations say the dewpoint is 72F but BDL says 66F....we want BDL to say 72F which means Tolland mulch beds read 77F or 78F.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah a few folks have been mentioning this during the week. Very mehdown and back to 90’s Friday and beyond. What a stretch since we flipped hot and often humid late June 

Why do you do this dude...  ?  jokes aside, it's like clock work with you - 

I did not say that. I don't know who did, but I would not condone that, so it is not "mentioning this" because that couches me in with that ... I simply said above normal...  to which 13 to 16 C ...that's not 90s anyway. 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Why do you do this dude...  ?  jokes aside, it's like clock work with you - 

I did not say that. I don't know who did, but I would not condone that, so it is not "mentioning this" because that couches me in with that ... I simply said above normal...  to which 13 to 16 C ...that's not 90s anyway. 

Fish did 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

86 here.  Pool was a bit cool due to the last two days.  At least the next few days will warm it up a bit. 

Pool dropped to 78, high was 85, after this weekend we probably max out for the year,  longer nights less sunlight and angle keep a lid on things. Wonder what a home pool temp is in say a Texas desert with no shade,  upper 90s?

Point and click WOW!!!!

Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 103. Heat index values as high as 113. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 80. Southwest wind 3 to 7 mph.
Sunday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 103. Light west wind increasing to 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah he misses the point.....every....single....time.

It's not that the davis stations in mulch beds are inaccurate, it's that our dewpoint scales for comfort have never been calibrated to the davis mulch dew points. When the "unofficial" tables were put out by meteorologists on TV decades ago and in text books, they were using the 55F dewpoint as comfortable based on airport obs since we didn't have a dense network of davis stations on someone's lawn. If they had used only mulch davis stations when they wrote those tables for comfort, they would have said 63F is pretty comfortable. This is the point he misses every time

Well said.  Need to save this as that’s the reason I use the ASOS dews.  Growing up I related how I felt outside to whatever the ALB airport reported. I didn't know what it was in my backyard but it didn’t matter because the main weather site in the area was ALB.  Maybe it was 2F cooler in the backyard and dews were 3F warmer but it’s all relative to what that ASOS says in my mind.

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Pool dropped to 78, high was 85, after this weekend we probably max out for the year,  longer nights less sunlight and angle keep a lid on things. Wonder what a home pool temp is in say a Texas desert with no shade,  upper 90s?

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I’ve been in a pool where the thermometer read 92 (Florida).  Wasn’t really enjoyable

Ours read 76.  High so far this year was 79. Last summer we hit 81 or 82 for a couple of days. That might happen by Sunday afternoon

14 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Mine is back up to 85-86 after dropping a bit from the rain.  I'm thinking it should crack 90 by Sunday afternoon.  Going to feel like the beach in Key West. 

2 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:

Mine is back up to 85-86 after dropping a bit from the rain.  I'm thinking it should crack 90 by Sunday afternoon.  Going to feel like the beach in Key West. 

Holy crap that’s a warm pool for SNE.  

We don’t use a solar cover, have trees all around, and I’m a bit higher in elevation.  But wow

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

We don’t use a solar cover, have trees all around, and I’m a bit higher in elevation.  But wow

Do you find the pool worth it with all the maintenance for a 3 month enjoyment? The woman wants an in-ground for the kids so I bought this to get her off my back:

d29eb439-dcd6-4c61-8ff6-9bc54649097b_2.5

Do you find the pool worth it with all the maintenance for a 3 month enjoyment? The woman wants an in-ground for the kids so I bought this to get her off my back:
d29eb439-dcd6-4c61-8ff6-9bc54649097b_2.5ef2233a070487cb3e7e58a2bc5e6245.jpeg?odnHeight=450%26odnWidth=450%26odnBg=FFFFFF&key=a6d0b9bd720f13ee55030ae9092068870575c2477fdb82ae4cbc026338a4c91d
It's absolutely worth it, imo...I have a heater for it, so I get at least 5 months (may-end of Sept). I have t used the heater since mid June though. It gets lots of sun and is always warm. It's a bit of work and $$$ but I love it.....especially on weekends like this

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Well said.  Need to save this as that’s the reason I use the ASOS dews.  Growing up I related how I felt outside to whatever the ALB airport reported. I didn't know what it was in my backyard but it didn’t matter because the main weather site in the area was ALB.  Maybe it was 2F cooler in the backyard and dews were 3F warmer but it’s all relative to what that ASOS says in my mind.

To be fair they were probably using psychrometers back then too. I don’t even think AWOS uses the same sensor as ASOS. When dews start getting extreme they start to stray (70+ and under -20). 

1 minute ago, butterfish55 said:
3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:
d29eb439-dcd6-4c61-8ff6-9bc54649097b_2.5ef2233a070487cb3e7e58a2bc5e6245.jpeg?odnHeight=450%26odnWidth=450%26odnBg=FFFFFF&key=a6d0b9bd720f13ee55030ae9092068870575c2477fdb82ae4cbc026338a4c91d

It's absolutely worth it, imo...I have a heater for it, so I get at least 5 months (may-end of Sept). I have t used the heater since mid June though. It gets lots of sun and is always warm. It's a bit of work and $$$ but I love it.....especially on weekends like this

Cute fam man !

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Got a solar cover for mine my kid and girlfriend love it warm. .. a week or so ago the temp was reading 103. It was only the top 3 inches after mixing went down to 91.  It has sun all day and no trees to.block... it felt like a bath when I put my hand in to check... I'm curious to see what it gets to this weekend

Just now, butterfish55 said:
2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, more work for me and only me. Not trying to add a third page to my list, I can get solar and practically revamp my entire energy system for the same cost....but the wife wants want the wife wants. 

1 minute ago, ineedsnow said:

Got a solar cover for mine my kid and girlfriend love it warm. .. a week or so ago the temp was reading 103. It was only the top 3 inches after mixing went down to 91.  It has sun all day and no trees to.block... it felt like a bath when I put my hand in to check... I'm curious to see what it gets to this weekend

We call those hot tubs. Pools are supposed to cool you off.

I had an above ground pool when I lived in Hatfield, it was in the sun for 10 hours a day.  It would routinely get into the high 80s when the weather got hot, which made night time swimming really pleasant.  By early September the best you could manage was low to mid 70s.

20 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

d29eb439-dcd6-4c61-8ff6-9bc54649097b_2.5

The maintenance is pretty minor.  It is a 24’ above ground.  So far this season I’ve only had to ad some pH up and the typical shock and chlorine tabs.  I figured out how to open it and reset up the filtration system.  We did blow a hose early this season but Amazon fixed that 

We really enjoy it. Both my wife and I have most of the summer off so we can use it many days. Season is short