Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs 2019

George BM

4 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

I think the rain today is done with for my area and NW after 3 PM based on radar OBS. Yes it is moving parallel to me but it has the slight SE push to it. SE MD might not be out of the action until late tonight.

It's been barely enough to dampen the top 1/16" of soil lol. Pathetic "event".

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It's been barely enough to dampen the top 1/16" of soil lol. Pathetic "event".

It was definitely pathetic yesterday, all this heat for a whole week and it ends with my yard getting shafted as I came home from state college.

5 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I didn't get enough rain to wet the driveway under a tree. Storms were NW and rain shield missed to SE. This is good practice for winter. It's about to get pretty crispy around here in a week.

I got just enough to completely wet most surfaces. Not a hint of a puddle on my driveway though. I was outside soaking the plants with the hose while the ineffective light rain was falling lol. Felt nice with the cool air and not a single mosquito harassing me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I got just enough to completely wet most surfaces. Not a hint of a puddle on my driveway though. I was outside soaking the plants with the hose while the ineffective light rain was falling lol. Felt nice with the cool air and not a single mosquito harassing me.

Been wet up here. And mosquitoes? I'll ship a bunch down to you since I have more then enough to share.

Interesting read from Mount Holly. Didn't see this update, which is a couple hours old now..

715 pm update: This was supposed to be a quiet(er) evening... Light rain/showers continue to plague Delmarva and coastal New Jersey early this evening. The post-frontal low-level environment and the unusually cold air aloft have combined to create a favorable environment for cold-air funnels on the northwest side of the precipitation shield. Several reports of these have been received from the Fenwick Island area, on upper portions of Delaware Bay, as well as the southeast New Jersey coast. These are expected to remain off the surface (i.e., harmless). Meanwhile, an ambient/slow-moving boundary/region of confluent low-level flow is generating showers along the western shore of Chesapeake Bay north-northeast into far southeast Pennsylvania and adjacent portions of New Jersey. These showers are developing in a still-favorable environment for occasional downpours (given the preexisting moist low-level environment). Would not be surprised to see a few spots receive a quick quarter to half inch of rain in these downpours. Given the slow movement of the confluent zone, some locally heavy rain may occur with the strongest/most persistent showers.

We got a RARE late July cold front way down here in the Deep Southwest lol.

Our normals this time of year are a high of 97, a low of 74.

Today we hit 93 but the dewpoint was ONLY 59!!!! Dews should be pushing 75 easy.

It felt like 77/47!!!!

Unbelievable we should EVER see a cold air mass this far south in late July! (In south central Texas, that is lol).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stormpc said:

Storm over Currituck sound looking North toward Knotts Island.

20190723_140842.jpg

Off topic Stormpc but you are living in extreme NE NC. You can still get clobbered by HECS that miss DC to the south.

You are gonna see a heck of a LOT more snow, than I ever will lmao!

You better be lookin out for hurricanes! YOU NOW RESIDE IN HURRICANE COUNTRY.

Washington DC is still on track for a very very SNOWY COLD winter in 2019-2020!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jebman said:

Off topic Stormpc but you are living in extreme NE NC. You can still get clobbered by HECS that miss DC to the south.

You are gonna see a heck of a LOT more snow, than I ever will lmao!

You better be lookin out for hurricanes! YOU NOW RESIDE IN HURRICANE COUNTRY.

Washington DC is still on track for a very very SNOWY COLD winter in 2019-2020!

Can you promise me a HOT AND HUMID fall first with some tropical action??

• Sad 1

Figured this would get more traffic and be seen more in this thread... but LWX is holding an online webinar basic skywarn class to be a spotter on August 13th from 6pm to 8pm for ALL LWX Sterling counties

https://www.weather.gov/lwx/skywarn

skywarnonlineclass.thumb.png.855534ee8dfda43fe60863e7769c6e05.png

Hurry and get your spot if you have ever wanted to be a spotter for LWX and never got the time to go to one of the classes... or if you wish to refresh your knowledge (LWX says you should take a refresher course every 3-4 years if you already are a spotter for them).  I just registered since I last took the class in 2016... there were something like 35 spots left, so get your spot now!  It's also nice that LWX was able to do this so that you don't have to travel anywhere... you can take the class from your own computer at home and then become a spotter :) 

From the eventbrite link provided in the image:

Do you have an interest in weather? Would you like to be able to help your local National Weather Service office by providing the ground truth on the atmosphere that we observe from radar, satellites and various reporting stations? Then consider attending the SKYWARN® program Basic course.

By attending this course, you will be trained by NWS personnel to recognize features associated with developing, mature, and dissipating thunderstorms which cause hazardous weather such as lightning, flooding, hail, tornadoes and downbursts. The attendee will also learn basics about winter weather and tropical hazards.

At the end of the course, you will be assigned a SKYWARN® spotter number which will be maintained in the official database at the NWS in Sterling. You will also be directed how to report this vital weather information. For those who have attended in the past but want a refresher, please feel free to attend. We would love to see you again!

This SKYWARN® Spotter Class is offered free of charge by the National Weather Service Office in Sterling VA. This will be a National Weather Service Meteorologist led online webinar class that will be presented through the gotowebinar program.

• Like 1

Thanks, Yoda. Somehow LWX deleted my Skywarn information despite claiming they don't do that. I took Basics I when I was 13 (with permission/waivers from my parents and approved by staff at LWX). I used my spotter ID successfully for years - went to report something a year or two ago and was told my spotter ID didn't belong to me. I questioned them and just gave up. I don't have the time to go to in-persons basics I training...so this is perfect. 

Still would like to know what went wrong over at Sterling to apparently reassign my ID...

• H2O unpinned this topic