Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs 2019

George BM

18 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looking like a healthy chance at some widespread gully washers Monday-Tues 

Day 3 slight for excessive rain 

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/ero.php?opt=curr&day=3

Disco sounds bullish...moderate risk likely to be implemented by sounds with multiple rounds in areas 

Yep, certainly a bump up from previous WPC guidance. 

Day 1 to 3 

d13_fill.gif?1563655299973

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I think the DCA temp sensor broke. Its throwing some weird readings.

I know you probably said this tongue in cheek, but since there is a bit of history here about "bad" DCA sensors, I feel compelled to give my 2 cents.

I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the sensor. NWS stations use high grade platinum RTDs, which are extremely stable and accurate. Any variability is likely environmental- e.g. breezes off the water. The sensor's measured resistance correlates extremely closely with the actual temperature, as a function of it's TCR. High vibration is really the only source of erratic readings, outside of something going wrong with the electronics on the measurement side, which is even more unlikely.

For the beach goers:  very warm surf in Wildwood, and Cape May extending South to Dewey and Ocean City, MD. ( I saw some 80 degree surf  temps, wow ! )  but as Mount Holly NWS points out,  some upwelling further North. 

<<

it appears as though there is some upwelling along the New
Jersey coast, mainly from Long Beach Island down to the Atlantic
City area. Water temperatures right along the shore are in the
middle and upper 60s in spots.

>>

got to 101 in west end

did anyone notice the quick drop to 84 in the 3pm hour (3:45 i believe) at DCA?  Is something up with their sensor (they've also been running a couple degrees cooler than most of the PWSs in Arlington and the District just across the river)

36 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Scored a nice t-storm.  Nice surprise.  Yard desperately needed the rain.  In excess of .5".  Temp knocked down to 78F.  Caught a real nice break.

Just looked at it on Radarscope.  That must have been sweet after today's heat!  I hope we all get some good rains on Monday.

Still 95 here.  Feels hotter out than at 4 or 5 pm due to no breeze.

• Like 2

I was just driving down to my parent's house from Columbia and when I was heading west on the ICC I saw the big storm in the distance...I always underestimate how far you can see in the sky. I figured it was in MoCo already - pulled up Radarscope and saw it was still out along the Blue Ridge.

Looks like it's falling apart now. Might not bring any relief to areas east. 

• Like 1

LWX needs to check the 3 day obs pages.

At 335 am, all of those pages were reporting the just-before-6 am obs!

Somehow, I think a programming glitch has moved the listed times ahead three hours.

((The "more local weather" summary had the correct times.))

10 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

I was just driving down to my parent's house from Columbia and when I was heading west on the ICC I saw the big storm in the distance...I always underestimate how far you can see in the sky. I figured it was in MoCo already - pulled up Radarscope and saw it was still out along the Blue Ridge.

Looks like it's falling apart now. Might not bring any relief to areas east. 

I was watching the lightning show from Columbia on Saturday evening, 9:00ish.  It was flashing at a quick rate off to my W & SW, but storm traveled SE-ward toward N-ern part of DC.  Nothing more here than a distant light show.  Temps in MBY ranged from 78 to 96 on Saturday.   Sunday morning low as of 6am is 79, pretty toasty for the 'burbs.

7 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

3knam FWIW looks very active Monday and through Monday night . I'm kind of excited about the chances for training storms and showers in our yards . With the sauna like air mass in place and anomalous h5 setup it looks promising.  Hey @high risk what's your thoughts? 

WPC has a moderate risk of excessive rain up your way.

• Like 1

• H2O unpinned this topic