Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Discobs 2019

George BM

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I don't want a repeat of late last summer/early fall though. Terrible period of warmth with high dew-points.  

Delayed re-seeding of the lawn and than BANG the cold came and lost the window.  Last Sept and early October sucked !  

But as @nw baltimore wx said, the shorter days and earlier sunsets is one offsetting positive of any late season heat. 

• Like 1

Time to raise the cutting height on the mower decks.

Last year during the "mini drought" of the first two weeks of July (not a drop for us) everyone's lawn burned to a crisp and despite the nonstop rains that came later, the damage was done and they never really recovered.  It's amazing was cutting at 3.5" can do.  Our grass looked the best ever.  I'd take that over shaved "wannabe golf course" lawns any day! :P

We have about four acres so no fancy treatments or any of that nonsense.  It's mostly a mix of crabgrass and original K31 that was seeded in the 70s.  As long as its green and prevents erosion, we're good. ;)

Looks like the burners have lit, temps increasing nicely after 0630 here.  I don't know about yesterday (at least here) it certainly didn't feel that warm.  And today for the first time in a while, I notice my high end patio doors are sweating on the outside.  Indoors the thermostat is at 76F.  That's quite nasty, those dewpoints are high!

Sooo...it's Artscape weekend in Baltimore. By tradition, the worst weather weekend of the year, generally. This year, no exception. Add in the road collapse at Pratt and Howard with the road closures by the train station, and it is traffic hell downtown on top of unreal heat.

89 with a dewpoint of 73 for a tasty "feels like 99" at 10:15 am. Yikes. Not exactly ideal go stand in crowds with tens of thousands of people weather...

• Like 1

Interesting little tidbit (which I bolded below) in the update morning AFD from LWX... note the DP portion part though:

.SHORT TERM /8 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...
Dangerous heat will continue through the weekend.

The heat is expected to peak Saturday, with heat indices
possibly approaching 115 in the I-95 corridor due to ambient air
temperatures in the upper 90s to around 100 and dew points
between 70 and 75.

Again, overnight temperatures and humidity will offer no relief,
with lows in the lower to middle 80s (near all time record warm)
in the major urban centers expected, and just barely below 80
even in outlying areas (dew points will be quite high as well,
mid 70s to lower 80s overnight).

A pop up storm can`t be ruled out due to terrain circulations
Saturday, but forcing/coverage look sparse. There`s a better
chance by Sunday evening as height falls commence and a front
approaches from the north, intersecting the excessively hot and
humid airmass in place.

28 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I think we've discussed this in recent summers, but a difference in our big heats today and 20 years ago is how much better the air quality is now. Before the catalytic converter, the sky never looked this blue during our heat waves.

Yes. The fact that the sky can be blue instead of white during humid days is so completely different from the late 1970s and 1980s around here.

• Like 2

• H2O unpinned this topic