• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs 2019

George BM

A little cell popped up to my south over the Fairland area on Tues evening about 8:00.  Reached MBY on east side of Columbia just before 9:00.  15 mins of ground-watering rain, about 1/10".  But a great lightning sky show as the storm verrrry slowly moved NE/ENE-ward from Laurel.  It looked like the most intense part of the cell went over Laurel, Ft. Meade, Jessup and Savage .... and eventually MBY got clipped as a small "arm" from the cell grew NW-ward to over my 'hood from the main cell.  It would not surprise me if the west side of Columbia and Ellicott City saw nada.

The insects are way ahead of schedule here.  I heard annual cicadas at the end of June (typical  is mid to late July) and last night the Katydids were singing loudly like they would be the first week of August.  Fireflies began to peak the first week of June!  It's been warm but not bloody hot.  Yes the heat Sat will be the first really HOT weather we've had here since, well 2012.

7 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Hard to tell with the rounding, but DCA is something like 87/76 right now on a river wind.  IAD appears to have ticked up to 91 already.

My station is 92/79 for a 108 HI.

IAD now 93F as of 11:02am edt, Wednesday, July 17, 2019

3 minutes ago, frd said:

Some crazy dew points out there at the present time, searching around and found nearby Annapolis at a very nasty  79 dew point,  Ugh !  

Saw a PWS at 95/89/135 a couple mins ago. Overinflated no doubt but its fun to see those crazy numbers.

Just now, JakkelWx said:

Saw a PWS at 95/89/135 a couple mins ago. Overinflated no doubt but its fun to see those crazy numbers.

Friday will feel unreal......in a bad way .....  although maybe Saturday will be the worse day, looking for a low Friday night only in the low 80's maybe.  

17 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

12z RAOB from IAD has a convective temp of 93°.  Not sure we get above 95 degrees outside the urban centers.  It would be interesting to see how many days IAD, BWI and DCA average with a high above 95 and how we compare so far this year.  

Considering the 11am temp at IAD was 90 with winds from the S... I am pretty sure we breach ConvT with ease

While I do think we'll reach the convective temp, I'm not sure how relevant that is today.    The hi-res guidance shows a bunch of storms firing out over the terrain to our west, driven by local circulations and enhanced by the approaching shortwave.     While I'd like to see the HRRR as aggressive as the NAM, I feel pretty good about storm chances today, especially for those along and north of 66 in VA and 50 in MD on the west side of the bay.

• Like 1

Just now, high risk said:

While I do think we'll reach the convective temp, I'm not sure how relevant that is today.    The hi-res guidance shows a bunch of storms firing out over the terrain to our west, driven by local circulations and enhanced by the approaching shortwave.     While I'd like to see the HRRR as aggressive as the NAM, I feel pretty good about storm chances today, especially for those along and north of 66 in VA and 50 in MD on the west side of the bay.

Could be a few isolated severe storms as well with damaging wind gusts... we are MRGL outlooked by SPC today

• H2O unpinned this topic