Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2019

George BM

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Man, just give me some good tropical. I’d love to be in Ocean City in the right front quadrant of a category 2.

”This is WxWatcher007 reporting live from Ocean City where we’re expecting the eyewall to pass in the next 2 hours. I’ve already observed blinding rain, sustained winds of 95mph and a gust to 105. Pressure 980mb and falling. Things will continue to deteriorate. This is awesome.”

Woo, I’m getting goosebumps just writing that.

:weenie::weenie::weenie::weenie::weenie:

CAT 5 or go home. :P

By the way, where are all these hurricanes you promised us? :whistle:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

SHOULDN’T YOU BE HIBERNATING IT’S NOT WINTER SHOWME

I should be. This tracking of non-existent Hurricanes sucks. Following heat waves suck. Tracking summer weather sucks in general and is boring as hell. Much more fun tracking those fantasy snowstorms for days only to see them go poof a day or two before they are supposed to hit. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Wouldn't be the same without him. Of course his, 'Hurricane this and Hurricane that' seems a bit obsessive. Don't understand why he can't obsess/meltdown over snow like the rest of us. :lol: 

oh but he does, he chases snowstorms. don't let his talk about not loving winter the same way convince you he is not a snow weenie like the rest of us. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Man, just give me some good tropical. I’d love to be in Ocean City in the right front quadrant of a category 2.

”This is WxWatcher007 reporting live from Ocean City where we’re expecting the eyewall to pass in the next 2 hours. I’ve already observed blinding rain, sustained winds of 95mph and a gust to 105. Pressure 980mb and falling. Things will continue to deteriorate. This is awesome.”

Woo, I’m getting goosebumps just writing that.

:weenie::weenie::weenie::weenie::weenie:

Perfect.  Knock out your internet so you can't get your football picks in. :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Mentioned a couple of weeks ago while on vacation in Maine that they experienced 9-11 foot tides. Here's some pics.

Below we have the cottage we stayed in.

thumbnail_20190708_164929.thumb.jpg.ddb42c1906be2ae5661adcb034b65409.jpg

thumbnail_20190707_075926.thumb.jpg.9aa4450a1a68f04c1a8df21e71d0193e.jpg

A house beside our cottage

thumbnail_20190708_164754.thumb.jpg.ae1a6d89bef349c920a62a08516472fe.jpg

thumbnail_20190707_075826.thumb.jpg.d4ba44cbf67ef4cf35f120b66282ea1d.jpg

That looks precarious lol. What a strange location to put a house- low, essentially in the water, with what looks like a major road directly behind it. Should have been elevated on stilts/pilings.

11 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

That looks precarious lol. What a strange location to put a house- low, essentially in the water, with what looks like a major road directly behind it. Should have been elevated on stilts/pilings.

Not sure I would want to be living in the house if a strong storm surge was coming in at high tide. Would give a new definition to the term boat house.

Areas gorgeous. Would love to have a home on the water but the homes are a little pricey. Wife took tons of pics some of the better ones of which I might try to throw up a little later. We are seriously considering moving up here in 2 1/2 years. Probably look a couple of hours inland for a place. If we do I will be sure to post pics of all the snow for you all. :devilsmiley:

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Not sure I would want to be living in the house if a strong storm surge was coming in at high tide. Would give a new definition to the term boat house.

Areas gorgeous. Would love to have a home on the water but the homes are a little pricey. Wife took tons of pics some of the better ones of which I might try to throw up a little later. We are seriously considering moving up here in 2 1/2 years. Probably look a couple of hours inland for a place. If we do I will be sure to post pics of all the snow for you all. :devilsmiley:

I would live in coastal Maine in a heartbeat. It's on my list. Gorgeous, not as brutally cold as places in the interior, and still gets plenty of snow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JakkelWx said:

Had a weird dream last night that 2 feet of snow fell imby in the middle of July.

I dreamt that there was a supercell thundersnow storm the night before last and that people were getting blown around like they were leaves when the tornado blew through the campus.

14 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Totally boring. Usually is this time of year. Hot and dry. I haven't mowed in 3 weeks. Even the clover has burned in the full sun areas.

No mosquitoes though.

Damn, knew I forgot to do something. Sorry about that. Don't worry though I will be shipping my multitude of mosquitoes down to you post haste.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Damn, knew I forgot to do something. Sorry about that. Don't worry though I will be shipping my multitude of mosquitoes down to you post haste.

Barring some unforeseen multiple day deluge(lol yeah right), at least I will be able to comfortably reconstruct my lawn in another month or so without being eaten alive. Late last summer/early fall was horrific on multiple fronts- humid as hell and aggressive mosquitoes. Deet? Pffft. I had to wear long sleeves and pants and cover my head to function- and hope I didn't pass out lol.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, JakkelWx said:

Today was pretty exciting. Decided to hit up the meteorology department at PSU during my State College trip and met Jon Nese was there as a tour guide at the department of meteorology. If anyone knows who he is, he's a former storm analyst for the weather channel.

He taught one of my forecasting classes at PSU before he left, first to work at the Franklin Institute I think then TWC after that. Guess he landed back at PSU. 

True story, in November 1997 I was in his class and if there was something interesting he would devote some time at the end of class to look at the models and discuss it. I remember him downplaying a snow threat because the NGM and AVN were too warm at the surface and a friend of mine brought up the big snow on the ETA. He said “I would pretty much ignore that”. Two days later as we sat in class during a snowstorm (I think we ended up with about 7”) my friend gave him some crap over that. He took it with a good sense of humor. I imagine that is a must in this field. 

On 7/27/2019 at 5:19 AM, showmethesnow said:

Mentioned a couple of weeks ago while on vacation in Maine that they experienced 9-11 foot tides. Here's some pics.

<snip>

Cool stuff.

Down in Hilton Head, the area of the island where we stay sees average tide changes of 6.5' or so. Some neap tides can see a little less than 5' differences, but the highest of spring tides can have upwards of 9' difference. It's really interesting to see just how much the landscape changes due to those huge swings, even if it is frustrating as hell for a fisherman like me who's stuck on a kayak or just fishing off the beach into a raging salt creek.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 11:06 AM, yoda said:

Didn't @usedtobe work there?  I think he is retired now though... his name is Wes btw

I did work there but retired in 2004 though I worked for several years part time as a contractor til around 2009.  I know some of the forecasters but no longer know the bosses.  I don't even know the office phone number.  I'm not sure how hiring works anymore. 

2 hours ago, usedtobe said:

I did work there but retired in 2004 though I worked for several years part time as a contractor til around 2009.  I know some of the forecasters but no longer know the bosses.  I don't even know the office phone number.  I'm not sure how hiring works anymore. 

Thanks, guys. I'm not a met, of course, just a sys admin. It's just super close. I could ride my bike to work. :-) 

In other news, after coming back from the OBX, I noticed my lawn got a new hairdo. It decided to get its hair color changed to a brownish blonde. Completely unacceptable!

• H2O unpinned this topic