• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July Banter 2019

George BM

Hello from WY. Last day heading home tomorrow. But just had to share. 

We got chased out of Devils Tower aka Bears Lodge by a monster of a storm. Would have stayed but with projected 2.5” hail and 60 mph winds the husband did not want an insurance claim. However he indulged me by stopping for some amazing shots! 

Enjoy! 

E698F563-97E4-4F2D-BE99-1F06AF724212.png

C6DD9EA6-34EA-4516-97A5-3BC30984F76B.jpeg

0F90F59F-A794-4533-B914-97C14B8DEE3E.jpeg

74084BD6-BD1F-48E3-B9AF-8FDB7FF69791.jpeg

• Like 17

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Both were excellent! 

I'm ready for some pool again.  That dam* 8 ball alluded me though lol last time 

Anytime that I'm around, you're welcome.  We need to talk RR and Highstakes into coming over too, though I think they'll want to take all of our money. I am in the process of mini split shopping for in there (and the addition upstairs) so until I get that in, it'll be a little warm. It probably won't bother you since your outside so much. But either way, the beer is cold.

8 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

I was curious about the highest ever dew point, and found 95/91 at Melbourne, FL July 1987.  Can you even imagine that?!  I also saw a DP of 88 from Minnesota.

Then there's the world record of 108/95 from Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.  How long could someone survive in that?

Moved this to banter with the hope it will generate some discussion, and other war stories about extreme Heat Index.    

No doubt the 108/95 is up there.  If that's the recognized record - ok.  I don't have empirical data to outright challenge whatever the official record is.  However, from personal experience living overseas in several areas with extreme conditions believe there's some environments that routinely push the 108/95 combination, if not exceed it.  The main challenge IMO is finding reliable equipment that can measure the far end of the environmental spectrum that takes place in some of these areas.  

Just up the coast from Dhahran is good ole Kuwait.  Being at the NW corner of the gulf when the wind blows just right from the SE the humidity comes in with a vengeance.  Spent a lot of time there and it can be "pleasant" - as in relatively dry - in the morning and when the land heats up and draws in a fetch off the gulf the humidity rolls in and in a couple of hours can turn into an intolerable sauna.  (Been to Dhahran and UAE too - was not as bad as Kuwait - typically) It was so humid in Kuwait that when you come out of an air conditioning building and put your cell phone in your pocket, the cool phone immediately condenses the moisture and soaks your pants.  Looks like everyone outside pissed themselves, at least the newbies.  Cell phone belt carriers rule the roost to help the condensate drip off outside of clothing.  You can tell the newbies because they have the wet spot on their pants.  The repeated cycles and exposure to moisture raises havoc with electronics/phones.  

Then there is India, where I lived for 3 years.  During the "dry" months of March/April/May the heat was hot, and sometimes really hot (we had a max of 52.5C in Delhi when I was there, was hotter to the SW in the Rajistan Desert).  in the months of March/April/May and early June it can be in the 113-118 range for weeks on end, with the heat building in anticipation of monsoon.  That's a walk in the park compared to how it feels when the monsoon approaches and then unleashes it's torrent.  We would have 105-112 and ungodly high humidity for the next few weeks until the rains started and "cooled" things down to only the upper 100's.  You swear you could cut the air with a knife.  

In Delhi, 3 showers a day is the norm for those who can afford it.  We had 3 water trucks and 32 water wells on the Embassy grounds that supplied water to those living on the economy (like me).  Had a cistern in the back yard at my house and would go for weeks without a drop from the city.  Was a godsend to call Embassy GSO and get the cistern filled, which would last me a week or so, depending....  All water pressure in the house was provided by the head pressure provided by having the holding tanks everyone has on their roof.  Keeping in mind the ambient air temp is much hotter than you can stand to take a shower in, when I got up every morning the first thing I had to do was turn on the "cold" water in the shower, which was fed by the holding tank on the roof - full of hot water.  With the water in the holding tank too hot to shower with, I had to drain the tank enough to force the pump in the cistern on to pump cool water from the cistern into the holding tank on the roof.  This took about 20-30 mins depending on temps, time of day, sun angle, cloud coverage etc.  Once the water in the holding take was tolerable you take the shower and go on about your business.  Hated wasting all that water, but it was the only way.  

In India we had a weather station at the Embassy.  Was crude by today's standards, but was considered rather reliable at the time.  Starting in April, throughout much of May and June, the heat index was nominally at the upper end of the Heat Index (HI) spectrum, which in the USA ends around 150F on many charts.  (yes, some HI charts go up to around 175F now).  This went on week after week every year.  

With these various extremes in the HI, we used to make this observation that begs a question...  The hunter/gatherer M/O that ruled the evolution of Homo Sapiens for millions of years drove mankind to seek comfortable environments in which to thrive.  When Homo Erectus encountered the heat and stark environment of the middle east and the sub-continent, why did they stop?  Why didn't they say, let's get the heck out of here and go someplace nicer?  Yea, the climate was perhaps different in some of these areas a few thousand years ago or more.  But still, why the heck stay there when it is so inhospitable? 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Is there anyone else who can’t help but think about the hypothetical snowfall rate whenever it rains crazy hard?

I may have a problem...

When we get torrential rainfall rates... yes.  During the fun of TS Lee and his remnants... I imagined all the rain we were getting was snow 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

View of Mt. Washington from my hotel balcony this morning, and a view from the summit taken yesterday. Temp was in the low 50s with wind gusting to 50.

view.jpg.65cea34d300c1cf12bc4ef01084d6e5a.jpg

view2.jpg.58914903ae30ab1e2f634d885f9ce22f.jpg

We came close to stopping there for a day on the way up to our maine vacation. Decided not to bother because it wasn't winter and didn't feel that one day would do the area justice. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

We came close to stopping there for a day on the way up to our maine vacation. Decided not to bother because it wasn't winter and didn't feel that one day would do the area justice. 

Well if you wanna ski or snowshoe i concur. If you want to get up top, summer is the time to do it. With the wind it was a bit uncomfortable even yesterday. It's pretty spectacular though. Yesterday would have been a super high visibility day but the haziness was attributed to smoke from wildfires in Canada. Obviously the weather is typically brutal in winter at the summit, and auto road is closed. I guess the cog still runs unless the winds are blowing 100 mph or something. BTW, still some decent 'snow' in spots on the north face of Mt Washington, as well as a few places on other peaks on the Presidential range.

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I guess that means double ipa ? I had a Flying Dog DIPA and it was fierce man...and 12.1%alc lol . Anything from Vermont has to be good ...right?

Have a safe trip back man

PS......You'll never catch me in any drought thread 

Yeah DIPAs are usually higher gravity- 8 to 12% abv. Then you have the DFH 120 min- that is in another class at 18%. The holy grail as they say.

• Like 1

Arlington has officially declared a state of emergency following the flooding earlier this week.

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/07/10/arlington-county-declares-disaster-after-flash-flood-emergency/

This is probably the most-talked about non-snow related weather event since the derecho, just based off me listening to conversations. Lots of people comparing flood damage and talking about their experiences. Unforgettable weather day for many in my very local area, eight houses down the hill the water was in the first floor!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

It's funny...the weather channel was talking about Sandy but never mentioned the incredible record  blizzard in SW Pa, Western Md, WV etc that occurred .

I was on my way to chase that blizzard  but I turned around because of my failing sump pump  . Mby got 5.6 " of rain .

I really wish we had our place here back then...would have been epic to be here for that.

• Like 1

Was body boarding down North Wildwood New Jersey, and wow in my 45 years  of memory I can never recall seeing rays there.

Many in groups, some surfacing.  Did not bother us.  My brother-in-law was in amazement. The water was aqua color and warm and the tide was coming in. 

I Googled on the beach and it seems they are after clams and also moving, or migrating,  from South to North. 

What a day, many great waves, a great day !  Magic Seaweed does a great job along with Swell.com when it comes to forecasting winds changes and swell direction and height. Conditions were at times glassy.   

• Like 3

@frd speaking of ocean, I am up at southport, an island off the Maine coast, and the difference between high and low tide is astounding. Unlike down through our region where we see roughly a 2ft? difference, up here they average 9-10 ft with occasional 11 ft. When I get back in a few days I will post some pics. 

• Like 3

• H2O unpinned this topic