Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2019

George BM

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
11 minutes ago, yoda said:

@nj2va

With Connolly gone and now Hathaway  ($1.5 million AAV) and Panik ($2.75 million AAV) being signed to 4 year deals each, and Stephenson/Djoos still needing to be paid... guess this means no Vrana?

I just can’t understand why they would let Connolly go!!!! Not to mention probably letting vrana walk? Slowly but sure losing that Stanley cup team. 

6 hours ago, yoda said:

@nj2va

With Connolly gone and now Hathaway  ($1.5 million AAV) and Panik ($2.75 million AAV) being signed to 4 year deals each, and Stephenson/Djoos still needing to be paid... guess this means no Vrana?

I think they’ll get it done with Vrana.  I am dumbfounded at Connolly’s decision to go to the Panthers.  Yes, $ talks but talk about a useless franchise to play for.

Agree with H20 on Bura...we needed to move on from him.

11 hours ago, nj2va said:

I think they’ll get it done with Vrana.  I am dumbfounded at Connolly’s decision to go to the Panthers.  Yes, $ talks but talk about a useless franchise to play for.

Agree with H20 on Bura...we needed to move on from him.

FLA dropping cash to get Bob from Columbus jumps them up so maybe not so bad a move by Conno

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I think we'll have our chances.

I can't wait for the annual GFS fantasy cane day where for 4 magical runs we get that major barreling up the Bay. 

Yeapers on a bigly reaper stick drenched in weenie tears. It's become a yearly tradition.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Ehh...it’s also a terrible market for hockey.  Really bizarre choice by Conno but of course watch them win the Cup in 2 years. Lol

I don't think the Caps had the money for both Vrana and Connolly.  Connolly probably wanted more than the Caps could or would afford to pay him.  Don't forget the Caps have to pay Backstrom (who will probably command $6+ million AAV) to a new contract... as well as Holtby, though there are some rumors that since the Caps just signed two goalies to "big deals" Holtby may be gone next year -- https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019/07/capitals-re-sign-vitek-vanecek.html  Plus after Holtby saw the Bob deal in FL... and how strong Holtby is in goal for the Caps, he may ask for a 5 year $40 million deal if he performs well this upcoming season.  He will be turning 30 this season as well.  Will the Caps spend that much on Holtby?  Or will they turn him loose for Samsonov?  Copley is the backup and he was pretty good for you last year as well... its a goalie logjam in WSH

Vrana is probably going to get a short term deal (2 or 3 years IMO) at probably $3 or $4 million AAV and that will end the Caps spending

Hey everyone, I just got my degree in Meteorology from Penn State (still waiting on my red tag though) and moved down to Annapolis for a job, so I'm in MA forum territory now. Looking forward to posting more in this subforum and hoping for some severe weather this summer and hopefully an epic winter. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Winter Wizard said:

Hey everyone, I just got my degree in Meteorology from Penn State (still waiting on my red tag though) and moved down to Annapolis for a job, so I'm in MA forum territory now. Looking forward to posting more in this subforum and hoping for some severe weather this summer and hopefully an epic winter. 

Welcome to the forum!  I am guessing you already have, but PM @dendrite re the red tag

ETA:  I am sure you have been here too already, but just in case -- 

2 hours ago, yoda said:

I don't think the Caps had the money for both Vrana and Connolly.  Connolly probably wanted more than the Caps could or would afford to pay him.  Don't forget the Caps have to pay Backstrom (who will probably command $6+ million AAV) to a new contract... as well as Holtby, though there are some rumors that since the Caps just signed two goalies to "big deals" Holtby may be gone next year -- https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019/07/capitals-re-sign-vitek-vanecek.html  Plus after Holtby saw the Bob deal in FL... and how strong Holtby is in goal for the Caps, he may ask for a 5 year $40 million deal if he performs well this upcoming season.  He will be turning 30 this season as well.  Will the Caps spend that much on Holtby?  Or will they turn him loose for Samsonov?  Copley is the backup and he was pretty good for you last year as well... its a goalie logjam in WSH

Vrana is probably going to get a short term deal (2 or 3 years IMO) at probably $3 or $4 million AAV and that will end the Caps spending

No, I don't think they could have afforded both.  I'm referring to how silly a decision Connolly made going to a franchise like FL....yes $ talks but whatever.  Just a terrible hockey town and bad team.

And Holtby isn't going anywhere.

1 hour ago, Winter Wizard said:

Welcome!

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

No, I don't think they could have afforded both.  I'm referring to how silly a decision Connolly made going to a franchise like FL....yes $ talks but whatever.  Just a terrible hockey town and bad team.

And Holtby is going anywhere.

I don't think so either, but the article I linked made it seem that there is a logjam at the goalie position for the Caps and something will have to give there... be it Copley or Samsonov moved if Holtby stays and resigns after the season

15 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yes, if you want to get some relief from the winter weather and have a few spare days, a trip to FL to watch your team play and enjoy a couple warm days isn't a bad deal. I can't remember last time I saw stands half full at a Panthers home game, and that includes the opposing teams fans that are already doing this.

8 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Yes, if you want to get some relief from the winter weather and have a few spare days, a trip to FL to watch your team play and enjoy a couple warm days isn't a bad deal. I can't remember last time I saw stands half full at a Panthers home game, and that includes the opposing teams fans that are already doing this.

Good idea!  A winter trip to FL to watch the Caps play has been on my list...sounds like I should pull the trigger this season.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:48 PM, nj2va said:

Good idea!  A winter trip to FL to watch the Caps play has been on my list...sounds like I should pull the trigger this season.

Get yourself to Canada as well.  First suggestion is Montreal for the experience of watching hockey in a place where they'll cheer for the Canadiens one minute and boo them the next.  I've honestly described it to people as akin to going to church.   Second suggestion is Winnipeg for the noise (the arena is the smallest in the NHL but because of how it's built it's the noisiest).  If you want the closest place to Holtby's hometown of Lloydminster, Edmonton is where to go with its relatively brand-spanking new arena.

For the record, I've attended games in Montreal, Edmonton (at the old arena), and Calgary.

Edit:  Why not Toronto?  When you're from somewhere in the ROC (Rest of Canada) there is a tendency to hate Toronto.  Every year they don't win the Stanley Cup is a very good year.  They last won it in 1967. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

I mean, it was a line, it was absolutely solid, it was on our doorstep, and then...poof.

58 minutes ago, mappy said:

:lol: couldn't have described it any better, my friend. 

My friends my friends welcome to the club!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, nj2va said:

It is well rumored that holtby may be the odd man out next year. No way the caps spend what he will demand. Sergei May have set the market for elite goalies. 

Whats fascinating is that the caps will still have that main Stanley cup winning core for the foreseeable future (minus maybe losing holtby). With the recent signings, one could hope that they at least maintain making the playoffs for at least a couple more years. A deep run remains to be seen. But I’m looking forward to watching the new members of the team. 

On 7/3/2019 at 6:05 AM, smokeybandit said:

"First suggestion is Montreal for the experience of watching hockey in a place where they'll cheer for the Canadiens one minute and boo them the next. "

You can just go to Philly for that!

But in Montreal it's in both official languages.

• H2O unpinned this topic