Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

42 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

In my part of the world if you told me 35 years ago. Hey your climate change will be some warmer overnights some warmer days but more snow and less intense heat. Sign me up. Lol how site change is suddenly brought up.  Your Hartford area graph has site changes

Not a problem here in New England, pretty much.  But major issues in a lot of the world.  Coral reefs getting croaked for example 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

In my part of the world if you told me 35 years ago. Hey your climate change will be some warmer overnights some warmer days but more snow and less intense heat. Sign me up. Lol how site change is suddenly brought up.  Your Hartford area graph has site changes

So why does this get you so riled up anytime someone says it’s getting warmer?  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not a problem here in New England, pretty much.  But major issues in a lot of the world.  Coral reefs getting croaked for example 

The biggest concern should be the Arctic in terms of warming IMO...what's happening there is what should be raising alarms all across the board, but for some reason people don't want to buy it. Was it in May when some place within the Arctic circle recorded a temperature of 84F...that's absurd. 

As the ice caps continue to shrink and the degree of ice covers decreases the earth's albedo is only going to decrease and allow for more radiation to be absorbed at the higher latitudes which will continue to yield stronger warming there. Another sort of scary thought is how as this ice melts there may be bacteria that has been locked up for millions of years now becoming airborne...I was reading about that somewhere. But yeah...Coral reefs is a substantially huge issue. 

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s manual right? I guess I need to read up on it.

There’s calibration screws on each side. I forget how much of a turn you have to make to equal X hundredths of an inch. But anyway, unscrewing them raises them which in turns means less water is needed to tip the tipper. So that’s the direction you’d want to go to make it read more.

What I did was just turn each side the same amount (like a half turn) and keep the stratus gauge near it and wait for a couple of larger rain events to see how much it changed and how much more I needed. Of course make sure the gauge is perfectly level in every direction before making cal screw changes. I think they have a bubble level on them now.

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

The biggest concern should be the Arctic in terms of warming IMO...what's happening there is what should be raising alarms all across the board, but for some reason people don't want to buy it. Was it in May when some place within the Arctic circle recorded a temperature of 84F...that's absurd. 

As the ice caps continue to shrink and the degree of ice covers decreases the earth's albedo is only going to decrease and allow for more radiation to be absorbed at the higher latitudes which will continue to yield stronger warming there. Another sort of scary thought is how as this ice melts there may be bacteria that has been locked up for millions of years now becoming airborne...I was reading about that somewhere. But yeah...Coral reefs is a substantially huge issue. 

I realize this strays from the purpose of this thread, so mods feel free to delete or move. But I think there are a few things that work against total acceptance (beyond willful ignorance) of the climate change argument. First, most people have a hard time wrapping their minds around how a one degree increase in a century or more makes much difference, especially when in a single day one experiences far greater temp swings. If I held something to my skin that is 79 degrees and something that is 80, I'd probably have a hard time telling the difference . Second, predictions that seem especially outlandish, dire, or aggressive, tend to get more airplay and, especially if they don't pan out, create mistrust. Kind of like a busted Bouchard forecast. I remember around the time of the Great Financial Crisis, when oil was $130, there were articles floating around about how by 2020 the arctic would be ice free in summer, and sea levels would be so high that New York City would be flooding regularly at high tide and oil would be so scarce that it would skyrocket to $500 or $1,000 a barrel, which clearly has not panned out. Third, I think there's some skepticism regarding the quality of the data these forecasts are based from (think poor siting and calibration), the statistical methods used to massage raw data, and in some cases, the financial incentives researchers have to maintain the flow of grant funding. There's a sense that this is a cash grab and a chance for the government to exert more control over the citizenry. There are also be some who think along these lines: "If we can't accurately predict the weather in three days, using millions of real time data points, governing equations and the world's most powerful supercomputers, how can we accurately predict climate decades ahead of time? What if we're missing variables?" Finally, I think people see enormous hypocrisy in our green leaders (I among them) like Al Gore, who has enriched himself immensely by proselytizing living sustainably, while he flies privately, lives in an enormous mansion and owns coastal real estate. Or Leonardo Dicaprio, who floats from port to port on megayachts while lecturing people not to eat beef. Or, perhaps worst of all, Elon Musk, who talks about our existential peril while owning no less than five megamansions in Bel Air area, flying a Gulfstream to his factory fifty miles from home, and churning out cars which, when considering the cost of mining, refining and disposing of the lithium batteries and building the charging infrastructure to support them, are as polluting as gas cars, all while hoovering up state and federal government subsidies for being "green." Finally, people tend to have a lot more pressing shit in their lives: health issues, debt, all kinds of struggles. At the end of the day, climate science ranks very low on the list of daily exigencies.  

A few end notes (God, how does Tippy do this every day?): If this is truly an extinction level threat, as one often hears, why are we not committing to nuclear power on a global scale? Sure, there are risks, but the reactor engineering is so strong and the safety mechanisms so redundant nowadays that the odds of a meltdown are slim to none. And yeah, storage of spent fuel is another problem, but again, if carbon is truly the danger it's been made out to be, why aren't we doing this? Not-in-my-backyard-ism?

On a personal note, the evidence of warming seems pretty clear (but I disagree that any scientific reasoning should ever be considered "settled" and immune to debate), the research methodology seems sound and I think we should be more conscious of our effect on the world. But that extends well beyond carbon though. Deforestation, pollution, habitat destruction etc. are all major problems and I don't know if there is a solution. There may not be. Much as we like to think we're enlightened and separate from nature by dint of our technology, we're still very much a part of the animal kingdom. And we, and all the living things of this earth, will end up going the way of the dodo at some point, just like 99.999% of all species already have. The earth will still be there when we're gone and will undoubtedly flourish with life until our dying sun fries and consumes it. Cheery prospect, I know.

Also, much as I love snow, I'm really glad to have been born in an interglacial period. I can't even imagine the privation our ancestors put up with for 100,000 years. At least in a warming world, food production should be able to support our population. Glad I won't be around when the other half of the Milankovich cycle comes around. Ok, stream of consciousness rant sequence terminated.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

73/69F   Heavy thunderstorm.   This came out of nowhere.   Just about everything was north all day.  Few showers popped up west of me and bam!   .55" in the stratus and still going strong.

I heard a few rumbles from that. Lookin like no dice here.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

So why does this get you so riled up anytime someone says it’s getting warmer?  

Keeping the hype real bro. The powers to be want to constantly blame every fart on climate change. I have stated maybe 20 times, which you never comment on, the earth is warming.  You want to be a total non questioning lemming,  that's your prerogative. I question the hype. Same day Paris was on fire the entire globe was 0.2 AN. Keeping it real. The friggin world isn't ending. Natural weather disaster deaths are at historical lows, food production at all time highs. Yes some populations are stricken by famine, mostly political in nature . All in all earths warming, shits happening but the world is not ending. 

• Like 2