Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We’ve had a ton of bears around the ski area lately, the dog and I ran into a mom and two cubs last week.  

This one yesterday though spent 8 hours in the Spruce Peak Base Area just destroying the custom landscaping.  They of course planted trees with berries on them that the bears think are skittles.  Looks like a severe storm went through with broken branches and limbs everywhere.  He climbs up, rips the trees apart and then goes down to eat the berries.

If the trees were bigger, the bears might treat them like they do beech, climbing up and pulling branches toward their mouths.  They can break branches a couple inches thick, and in a tree full of nuts create a "bear's nest" with their destruction.  The one time I was close enough to listen (mama and cub in one tree, cub #2 in another) it was "snap, crack, crunch, chomp" - but for the breaking branches they sounded like pigs at the trough.

Edit:  Couple distant rumbles from a warned storm a bit to our south, with another smaller one passing by just to the north.  We'll see what the line to the west can do, though past performances say not to be optimistic.

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just had a severe downburst hit Stowe.  

Listening to Lamoille County Dispatch on our ski area radios, they’ve got trees down at Stowe High School (clearing trees from road).

Power pole down on Holmes Lane in Stowe Village.  

Power Lines down on Shaw Hill Road. 

Awesome, congratulations!

32 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Man your dog near mom and Cubs is dangerous for doggie!

Yeah that’s why I didn’t get any pics that time, ha.  The cubs shrieked, mom snapped to attention, dog was barking so I grabbed the dogs collar and we took off back up the trail.  The dog had no desire to go see what those animals were, it was her first bear encounter but could tell from my body language it was time to get out of there.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Awesome, congratulations!

Seems to happen from time to time on the east side of the mountains, we’ve done well with SVR over the years.  You can watch the VILs blow up over the high terrain and then collapse out once east of the Spine in a wet downburst.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Here come the bandwagon Sox fans. Not a peep all season and they get to 8 games out and now they’re winning the WS lol

Just b/c I don't blow up social media with sports anymore or post in the sports forum doesn't mean I don't follow what's happening. 

I've talked with plenty of people from before the season began and it was obvious the Red Sox were going to take a step back this year. 1) Regression to the mean and 2) They didn't do anything in the off-season to replace their key bullpen losses.

Anyways the Yankees pitching was (starting pitching) was extremely suspect coming into the season....nothing but a bunch of #2 or #3 starters. The first half of the schedule was a cake walk for them...the real challenge was going to be in the second half. They may have an amazing offense and have guy who can hit the ball 450'+...this is great and all for the regular season but teams don't slug their way through the playoffs. 

The Yankees get into the playoffs but they won't advance a round...not unless they go out and make a move for a #1 SP and maybe another top-toer guy 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Just b/c I don't blow up social media with sports anymore or post in the sports forum doesn't mean I don't follow what's happening. 

I've talked with plenty of people from before the season began and it was obvious the Red Sox were going to take a step back this year. 1) Regression to the mean and 2) They didn't do anything in the off-season to replace their key bullpen losses.

Anyways the Yankees pitching was (starting pitching) was extremely suspect coming into the season....nothing but a bunch of #2 or #3 starters. The first half of the schedule was a cake walk for them...the real challenge was going to be in the second half. They may have an amazing offense and have guy who can hit the ball 450'+...this is great and all for the regular season but teams don't slug their way through the playoffs. 

The Yankees get into the playoffs but they won't advance a round...not unless they go out and make a move for a #1 SP and maybe another top-toer guy

Maybe.   No mention of the fact that their ace hasn’t pitched all year...an ace that can stand tall with a lot of them.  Better hope he’s out all year.

28 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Looks like a little swell in the water ginx

3ft @16 seconds from SE hmmm

that will have surprising power with sets prolly every 10 minutes by surprised weekend warriors in surf zone

Yesterday was just perfect for this old man, 200 ft rides on 4 to 5 swells forceful enough yet gentle. Great teaching waves. I taught me kids and grandkids the art over the years and they probably spend 6 hrs in the water having contests.

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Maybe.   No mention of the fact that their ace hasn’t pitched all year...an ace that can stand tall with a lot of them.  Better hope he’s out all year.

Hasn't he had 2nd half struggles through his young career? 

Having him would certainly be a help but IMO they would still need another top guy...maybe not a #1

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I heard nothing about that. Most know we aren’t winning the division or the series. Stop being butt hurt. 

There hasn’t been a peep from Sox fans since Napril . I listen to EEI . It’s been nothing but whining, complaining. Sox suck. I turned it on today knowing full well what I’d hear. Sure enough.. this team is really good , will go on huge run now and win division or at least #1 WC team, Yankees aren’t good, Sox are the better team. It was so predictable and so nauseating . How about the fact the Yanks lost their entire starting lineup this year , their #1 SP and #2 bullpen guy, and have an 8 game lead. I didn’t hear any Sox fans talking like this after the London series. 

• Haha 1