Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

7 hours ago, tamarack said:

Just comparing Farmington's record warm/cold months to 1981-2010 averages (even if the records weren't set during those years) backs this up.  For simplicity (in typing) the departure comparisons are between met winter and met summer.  The differing departures are much more striking in winter.

Record type  Warmest  Coldest
Met Winter     +10.02   -13.71
Met Summer   +7.19     -5.27

Nice supporting data... now I'm more curious about why the differences are so much different.

What makes the winter have higher variation over summer?  Wave length differences?  Insolation changes?

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Where did you find that image from?  Looks like meteoguru?  What kind if site is that? 

It's just a site I found that does GEFS meteorgrams.  You can put in what ever you latitude and longitude is and the link is static but the page will load whatever the current run is:

http://www.meteoguru.com/en/pro/ensembles/?latlon=42.00,-72.29

I don't use anything else on the site.  I wish I could find a similar product for the ECMWF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MetHerb said:

It's just a site I found that does GEFS meteorgrams.  You can put in what ever you latitude and longitude is and the link is static but the page will load whatever the current run is:

http://www.meteoguru.com/en/pro/ensembles/?latlon=42.00,-72.29

I don't use anything else on the site.  I wish I could find a similar product for the ECMWF.

Thanks!  Almost looks like you could use it for winter precip purposes... 

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice supporting data... now I'm more curious about why the differences are so much different.

What makes the winter have higher variation over summer?  Wave length differences?  Insolation changes?

It's the wave lengths and also strength of the polar jet in winter. The temp gradients increase dramatically in winter so if you end up on a certain side of the PJ for an anomalously long period, then your departure is going to be huge. In summer, everything is more diffuse with weaker temp gradients so it's hard to rack up massive anomalous airmass residence time. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

54.7 for the low this morning, beautiful...get a few school buses going and it would almost sound and feel like September out there.  

I will say the radiation fog gave it a September feel this morning. I loathe losing the sunlight in the morning. 530am and clear yet it’s already starting to get a bit dark at that time. 

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I will say the radiation fog gave it a September feel this morning. I loathe losing the sunlight in the morning. 530am and clear yet it’s already starting to get a bit dark at that time. 

My alarm goes off at 4:30--much darker now with the sun rising 24 minutes later than the solstice. 

Meanwhile, we're a couple days away from the 2:00/day rate of daytime loss.  Things become really pronounced from here on out.

14 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

My alarm goes off at 4:30--much darker now with the sun rising 24 minutes later than the solstice. 

Meanwhile, we're a couple days away from the 2:00/day rate of daytime loss.  Things become really pronounced from here on out.

I haven’t used an alarm in years although if I needed to arise at 4:30 maybe....5:30 during the week now.   Point is-didn’t wake up till 5:55 due to darker mornings.   I hate losing light but by winter I’m happy.

27 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

i also get up around that time, and just this week have noticed a difference in the amount of daylight. at first i thought it was the gloomy cloudy rainy weather hiding the light earlier this week. but this am it was pretty dark.