Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Very overnight heavy there at ORH... cool nights with dewier afternoons?

As opposed to BTV... dews at night, drier by day.

We won't see obs like this at ORH for July again in our lifetimes.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/cgi-bin/request/asos.py?station=ORH&data=metar&year1=1965&month1=7&day1=1&year2=1965&month2=8&day2=1&tz=Etc%2FUTC&format=onlycomma&latlon=no&missing=M&trace=T&direct=no&report_type=2

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That's insane.  Sustained dews in the 30s and 40s for several periods.  That chamber, low dew, shot around the 19th to 22nd...nearing peak climo for the year.  Pretty impressive.

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It must have something to do with SST and how they’ve warmed . The oceans dictate things 

I think the polar jet keeps retreating more north as the arctic thaws. We’re getting to the point where we can’t get a legit cold front in here during the climo peak anymore. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

We cook today. Probably warmer then the 20th. 1st crack at 90?

Warmer than the 20th? Maybe up there. 

Should tickle 90° here. Not a bad morning with 64°. Every night so far has been low to mid 60s so the nights and dews have been tolerable. 

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Warmer than the 20th? Maybe up there. 

Should tickle 90° here. Not a bad morning with 64°. Every night so far has been low to mid 60s so the nights and dews have been tolerable. 

Yeah if we hit 99 today, I'm packing up and moving to Orkney. 

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Interesting that ORH has a clean step break around the time ASOS went in (1995). Could just be coincidence but one wonders if there was some difference in instrumentation.  

Nah everything is fine tuned and perfect. 2 degree drifts mean nothing. 

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Interesting that ORH has a clean step break around the time ASOS went in (1995). Could just be coincidence but one wonders if there was some difference in instrumentation.  

Maybe. But CON pulled many 30s for lows back in the 70s...kinda need 30s dews to do that. And we can barely get sub 50 lows in July now. 

47 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I do think instrumentation is a factor in the higher temp and dew point readings.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

I think the polar jet keeps retreating more north as the arctic thaws. We’re getting to the point where we can’t get a legit cold front in here during the climo peak anymore. 

And the first half of met fall hence the later frosts and freezes. Of the last 20 Septembers, a handful were below normal, and a well below normal month is unheard of now. I guess it's the payback reversal from the late '80s and '90s.

Air quality was terrible this morning...  Still and stagnant overnight, we've capped civility's farts with unwanted proficiency - 

In the days of yore ...this would be pure Earth contamination ... bio-mist-related, which I'm sure came with it's own headaches.   But this...? it's ( headaches + mankind's putrescence)/2 = some kind of vagarious journey through wafts of various automobile exhaust types, then the ozone faux freshness its self, followed by something that smells like black mold spores...  dumpster fires... just eegh 

Edit, okay ... there is an AQ alert in addition to the heat alert in effect.  it's going to be a miserable one boys and girls.  

The ASOS dewpoint and temperature readings are extremely accurate. Heck, even the Davis sensor specs are high end now. People generally have more error from the siting and shielding than the instrumentation itself.

image.png

image.png

The one problem the Sensirion sensors have had is that they tend to get "saturated" with high dews sometimes after a swampazz stretch and they have trouble reaching spec again in lower RH situations. I think the newer SHT85s (not Davis compatible) are better suited for meteorological applications. Maybe Davis will switch over from Sensibus to I2C finally ones of these days.

21 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I do think instrumentation is a factor in the higher temp and dew point readings.

In what way? I would suspect siting and location changes before the instrumentation. I'm not the biggest fan of using airports as primary climate sites, but they do have weather stations that cost six figures observing 24/7/365, and airports generally don't move like a co-op site might so they've got longevity too. The problem comes when you try to use a particular single site to make your case.

Wiz, what do you think about tomorrow?  

SPC:

...Northeast and Mid-Atlantic...
   Ample diurnal heating will occur ahead of a surface trough extending
   from the Northeast through the Mid-Atlantic. Convective development
   will likely occur by early Wednesday afternoon along this surface
   trough, with weak to moderate instability forecast across the warm
   sector. Around 20-30 kt of mid-level southwesterly flow associated
   with the upper trough may be sufficient to loosely organize storms
   into clusters as they spread eastward through the afternoon and
   early evening. Although mid-level lapse rates are expected to remain
   poor, steepening low-level lapse rates combined with the modestly
   enhanced mid-level flow and high precipitable water values may
   support strong/gusty downdraft winds capable of producing occasional
   damage.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The ASOS dewpoint and temperature readings are extremely accurate. Heck, even the Davis sensor specs are high end now. People generally have more error from the siting and shielding than the instrumentation itself.

image.png

image.png

The one problem the Sensirion sensors have had is that they tend to get "saturated" with high dews sometimes after a swampazz stretch and they have trouble reaching spec again in lower RH situations. I think the newer SHT85s (not Davis compatible) are better suited for meteorological applications. Maybe Davis will switch over from Sensibus to I2C finally ones of these days.

I suspect it's contamination, some suggest humidity sensors should only be passively ventilated to reduce this problem. Most, if not all, high end sensors use a combination of warming and/or a daily purge to stay in spec at higher humidity levels.

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Air quality was terrible this morning...  Still and stagnant overnight, we've capped civility's farts with unwanted proficiency - 

In the days of yore ...this would be pure Earth contamination ... bio-mist-related, which I'm sure came with it's own headaches.   But this...? it's ( headaches + mankind's putrescence)/2 = some kind of vagarious journey through wafts of various automobile exhaust types, then the ozone faux freshness its self, followed by something that smells like black mold spores...  dumpster fires... just eegh 

Edit, okay ... there is an AQ alert in addition to the heat alert in effect.  it's going to be a miserable one boys and girls.  

Apparently some people love stank, God bless them. How many people walked outside today and said oh man what a gorgeous day. Probably the 2 stankies here. ASATT all stank all the time .