Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I say no to ORH because Will said ASOS placement is suspect and they say BDL is suspect . 

So let’s go with IJD and FMH. Done!

Why does it have to be a coastal location 90 miles away from where we live?   How about HFD then?  Both CT locations that will verify that we had a very humid month with 15 days with Dp's above 70.

15 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Wonder if this has anything to do with magnetic north shifting towards that region? There is so much that we dont really understand with regards to that phenomenon and how it will impact the global climate...

I realize you were not directing this rhetoric toward me...  

I believe the Siberian/northern Asia cold plume is more likely a 'synergistic' effect ... an emergent property of changing the global circulation engine that is part of the warming world.  

In other words, cool the planet back down the 5F it's gained in the last 30 or whatever years it took to gather that differential... and Siberia would be just cold as opposed to demonstratively offsetting...  

If I had to put my money on it...the N-NE Pacific semi-perennial vortex ( also the Icelandic lows) have been deeper and more powerful and the terminating warm advection at higher latitudes is beefing up the bloacking in key geographic areas that subsequently favor dumping ... or rather defaulting cold heights in Siberia/N Asia.  

I would have to think that it is perhaps multi-century ephemeral ?   Sounds like an oxymoron but we gotta consider...when compared to geological million year time spans, 100 years is almost immediate - so in that context it is transient.   As the polar regions continue to warm at a disproportionately faster rate ...eventually the ambient gradients will begin to weaken - I mean .. talking ages and ages into the future, barring something really weird... When that happens, the semi-permanent vortexes begin to break down and that stops pumping heights into ridging and the negative nodes concomitantly weaken...  

But that's like 500 years out there...  The fact of the matter is... ( and no one asked for this sentence I'm about to say..) long before getting there, the global ecology and environment will no longer be sustainable to 7.5 billion non-cooperating assholes running around trying to procure for themselves... But I digress -

53 minutes ago, Angus said:

Really about Siberia? I thought Siberia has seen warming because I see news items of the area being an example of the runaway feedback loop that makes scientist really worry, permafrost melts releasing more CO2 thus accelerating warming. Is what I've read more of the hypothetical? Every once in a while I see a Woolly Mammoth being dug up in Siberia and press coverage points to temperature increases. And I'm not trolling, I'm a man-made warming earth believer!

Well the area right along the Arctic Ocean isn't part of the region that has been bucking the trend. Maybe that's why? That's the area where permafrost is probably the deepest too.

Its been more across the boreal forest region over the interior of Siberia. We also have to take into account the media too...we're probably more likely to hear of records in the media versus "flat trend in temperatures across the taiga!!"...doesn't quite have the same ring to it.  

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

'07 and '08 were actually warmer than normal in ORH. Esp '08...'07 was near normal. But '09 was the 5th coldest summer at the airport site going back to 1948...including the coldest June/July couplet on record edging out 1982. 

Weve only had 2 below normal summers since then...2014 and 2017 and both were not by much. 

Reminds me of the coldest July 4th weekend I've experienced.  We were camping about 30 miles upriver from Ft. Kent on the 3rd and 4th, and both days were alike - lows of 33-34 followed by morning sun pushing temps to 60+.  Then came the clouds and showers, dropping temps to the 40s and sending folks running for more blankets.  I think that if I'd been at home (970') rather than next to the St. John (615'), I'd have seen some pingers.

24 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

Warm, occasionally hot, mostly dry summer.  We reality.

That's how I'd call it here.  Except for 7/20-21, dews have been quite manageable, though we may approach 70 tomorrow.  What this month has featured is sunshine.  The ratio of sunny to cloudy will be the greatest of the 254 full months we've lived at our present location, unless both tomorrow and Wednesday are cloudy - which isn't happening. 

58 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I realize you were not directing this rhetoric toward me...  

I believe the Siberian/northern Asia cold plume is more likely a 'synergistic' effect ... an emergent property of changing the global circulation engine that is part of the warming world.  

In other words, cool the planet back down the 5F it's gained in the last 30 or whatever years it took to gather that differential... and Siberia would be just cold as opposed to demonstratively offsetting...  

If I had to put my money on it...the N-NE Pacific semi-perennial vortex ( also the Icelandic lows) have been deeper and more powerful and the terminating warm advection at higher latitudes is beefing up the bloacking in key geographic areas that subsequently favor dumping ... or rather defaulting cold heights in Siberia/N Asia.  

I would have to think that it is perhaps multi-century ephemeral ?   Sounds like an oxymoron but we gotta consider...when compared to geological million year time spans, 100 years is almost immediate - so in that context it is transient.   As the polar regions continue to warm at a disproportionately faster rate ...eventually the ambient gradients will begin to weaken - I mean .. talking ages and ages into the future, barring something really weird... When that happens, the semi-permanent vortexes begin to break down and that stops pumping heights into ridging and the negative nodes concomitantly weaken...  

But that's like 500 years out there...  The fact of the matter is... ( and no one asked for this sentence I'm about to say..) long before getting there, the global ecology and environment will no longer be sustainable to 7.5 billion non-cooperating assholes running around trying to procure for themselves... But I digress -

Just like making ice cream the old fashion way, melt the ice in order to freeze the cream mixture. Yes you get ice cream out of the process, but eventually that ice cream will melt too...maybe the glaciers/ice caps melting is sustaining the "cold" in the Siberian for the time being and we are getting some of the goods on this end as well. But as soon as all of the ice melts, the cooling effect disappears and the ice cream melts too! Simple thermodynamics says we are screwed right?

9 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

It’s hot out. Let’s just enjoy it for what it is and stop with the silly semantics. 

Because in just about 6 more weeks, we’ll be tracking the cryosphere again. 

1,000,000,000% agree with the bolded.

maybe someday we will realize that this is a regional subforum, and that the weather at our nearby climo station may not be the same as the weather at theirs. but we are hot and dewy, so you must be as well.

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

We tied, not ever.  LOL...data comprehension

Ryan updated the graphic for the 5 o'clock news. It now shows 2019 alone in first place at 78.0 which I think he said was the warmest month ever in 114 years of record keeping in the Hartford area.