Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

Just now, powderfreak said:

I mean I’ve got my cold moments and you’ve called me a captain of ACATT....but it’s usually just because of our climate differences.  It’s hard to ignore the departures though, especially the SNE ones this month.  

Not one person ignored the departures yet you continue to make it seem so. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

I mean I’ve got my cold moments and you’ve called me a captain of ACATT....but it’s usually just because of our climate differences.  It’s hard to ignore the departures though, especially the SNE ones this month.  

Who is?  I don't see anyone doing that but I do see people (persons?) ignoring days with lack of humidity.

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm sure you've read my rants on this in this in the past ... but, to paraphrase, this entire last two decades has observed SE/E Canada and the NE U.S. in a relative min compared to the whole planet's "hockey-sticking" climate curve...  We keep assessing above normals without the kind of extremes that come with it, while regions abroad suffer severity/frequency we've lagged on.  

It's hard to know why that is... Heights tend to -EPO the NE Pacific because of the ocean heat source ... I think?  That would cause a mass-conserved NW flow over the interior of the continent... tending to mitigate some % of 'big heat' potential... 

"Some %" not being all -

I've seen this phenomenon on the seasonal scale (winter comes to mind where our trend is flat the past 20+ years), but running the numbers on an annual basis doesn't really stick out. We're warming in SNE here around 0.2C per decade going back to the 1990s which isnt that different than the global trend. 

The largest area that seems to buck the global trend these days is Siberia which has large areas that haven't seen any warming at all in the past 20-30 years...largely driven by colder autumns and winters. 

25 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Who is?  I don't see anyone doing that but I do see people (persons?) ignoring days with lack of humidity.

We have had a lot of pleasant days for sure, we had some mornings as low as 43F.  

I know a lot of this in the summer comes as a response to one poster’s claims, but there is definitely a difference in how above normal months and below normal months are talked about.  That was what I was getting at, but my (and a lot of posters apparently) reading comprehension isn’t that good lol.

What the hell is ACATT again?

I am not a fan of HHH, but this season has not been too bad, even though there have been some pretty nasty days.  The breaks in the humidity have helped make this feel like not a terribly oppressive summer.  Like they (still haven't figured out who "they" are) say, it's not the heat, it's the humidity.  On those 90+ days with low dews I feel fine, and the dome is not flowing with beads of sweat.  

Just now, Cold Miser said:

What the hell is ACATT again?

I am not a fan of HHH, but this season has not been too bad, even though there have been some pretty nasty days.  The breaks in the humidity have helped make this feel like not a terribly oppressive summer.  Like they (still haven't figured out who "they" are) say, it's not the heat, it's the humidity.  On those 90+ days with low dews I feel fine, and the dome is not flowing with beads of sweat.  

All cold all the time.

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The largest area that seems to buck the global trend these days is Siberia which has large areas that haven't seen any warming at all in the past 20-30 years...largely driven by colder autumns and winters. 

Really about Siberia? I thought Siberia has seen warming because I see news items of the area being an example of the runaway feedback loop that makes scientist really worry, permafrost melts releasing more CO2 thus accelerating warming. Is what I've read more of the hypothetical? Every once in a while I see a Woolly Mammoth being dug up in Siberia and press coverage points to temperature increases. And I'm not trolling, I'm a man-made warming earth believer!

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've seen this phenomenon on the seasonal scale (winter comes to mind where our trend is flat the past 20+ years), but running the numbers on an annual basis doesn't really stick out. We're warming in SNE here around 0.2C per decade going back to the 1990s which isnt that different than the global trend. 

Yeah in all honestly ... this is just something I have noticed... Some 2/3rds of the months since 1999 ...the global graphical heat source and sink annotations from various scientific sourcing (NCEP ...NASA and University research...etc..)  have favored SE Can/NE U.S. with "blue" months... 

2/3rds is not every time.  And, 33% is still a big number... When it's red here...it's red.   So it's probably a subtler tendency/distinction, and probably not really statistically significant compared to the consequences going on all over the place, either, but it's something that I have noticed where we blue more than red. 

But, blue in that context is till above normal..That's why I was careful to point out, "relative min" 

I mean ...it's above normal everywhere - what are we talking about ... decimal values of variance where one region's a tenth warmer/cooler than the mean...? Build a nuclear shelter why don't ya...  That said, I've counted five France to interior Europe and India big historic heat events comparable to the 2012 heat wave in the heartland to M/A regions of the U.S... to just that one event here. 

Again, I think since the oceans have empirically been shown to have absorbed the initial global warming, c/o NASA: "... The oceans have absorbed much of this increased heat, with the top 700 meters (about 2,300 feet) of ocean showing warming of more than 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969..."  I think this is jamming perennial heights higher than normal into the NE Pacific... which would tend to a NW mass conserving flow mean through Canada and that may be a why. 

This is all muddled further by ( imho ) this mock Maunder minimum return stuff with solar.  It's not taken seriously enough ...probably because GW is masking it ( both by numbers...and by media meme/popularity), but... the AO is scheduled to favor negative through 2030... well... 

48 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wonder if this has anything to do with magnetic north shifting towards that region? There is so much that we dont really understand with regards to that phenomenon and how it will impact the global climate...