Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol.  It’s the same every summer.  Someone says it was a very warm month, +3 to +4 or something.... then someone says no, it was chilly last Tuesday.  

If January is -4F, it doesn’t seem like we spend days trying to poke holes in that narrative like some do during the warmer departures.

Oh everyone will say how cold it’s been. You won’t hear....”well it wasn’t a windy month so it doesn’t seem that bad..”.  

I mean it is what it is. I just hope the winters of the 80s will hold off as long as possible.  :lol: 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s been AN every recent summer. Go and look it up. It’s not a narrative. I’m sure we’ll go through a cooler stretch at some point down the road, but it is what it is.  

The closest we came was probably 2017 which was just a hair above normal (+0.2 at BOS) or below normal (-0.4 at BDL) depending on your locale. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

The closest we came was probably 2017 which was just a hair above normal (+0.2 at BOS) or below normal (-0.4 at BDL) depending on your locale. 

There’s a couple of close neutral’s but overall...we’ve had some Kevin approved summers. We definitely have had some slow starts in June though. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s been AN every recent summer. Go and look it up. It’s not a narrative. I’m sure we’ll go through a cooler stretch at some point down the road, but it is what it is.  

Probably true most places but there are exceptions (sort of.)  Farmington co-op JJA was 0.50° below 1981-2010 norms in 2017 and also BN (by 0.37°) for 2015.  However, 2000-on shows 13 of 19 JJAs above that average, and despite a slightly BN June, this summer will make it 14 of 20.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There’s a couple of close neutral’s but overall...we’ve had some Kevin approved summers. We definitely have had some slow starts in June though. 

Not sure why xmACIS is missing 2013-2015 but the last two summers have not been close to normal, nor were 2012 and 2011 since I moved back.

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol.  It’s the same every summer.  Someone says it was a very warm month, +3 to +4 or something.... then someone says no, it was chilly last Tuesday.  

If January is -4F, it doesn’t seem like we spend days trying to poke holes in that narrative like some do during the warmer departures.

Spot on. You wouldn't hear a peep from the usual suspects challenging that January departure.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We're due for an 07-09 debacle.

'07 was almost tolerable, but '09 was the no-tomatoes year (actually got 3 cherry tomatoes, total, before fungus stopped those vines as they had already done to main crop.)  August '09 was actually AN but the near-sunless June-July sealed that summer's fate, for temps and for gardens.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Oh everyone will say how cold it’s been. You won’t hear....”well it wasn’t a windy month so it doesn’t seem that bad..”.  

I mean it is what it is. I just hope the winters of the 80s will hold off as long as possible.  :lol: 

Wait in the following post you say to prove we don't get cold fronts anymore look at monthly averages,  lol I guess you mean to say we dont get cold months. Ok that we understand 

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We just did as far as I'm concerned.

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s how they are all going to be going forward. HHH like last year , this year.. all AN.. Summers like DC used to have . That’s shifted up into SNE

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Actually to make sure you all can read. No one challenging the fact its AN we challenge the missing H in HHH. PF can twist with the best

Ha, ok.  We do this every time there’s an above normal month in the summer.  It’s like you try to minimize it somehow.  

But in a below normal month it’s just cheers.  There’s no dissecting it.  In a cold month no one is like “yeah but there was that hot day a couple weeks ago and the daytime temps were comfy.”

It seems a lot more effort goes into minimizing hot departures.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, ok.  We do this every time there’s an above normal month in the summer.  It’s like you try to minimize it somehow.  

But in a below normal month it’s just cheers.  There’s no dissecting it.  In a cold month no one is like “yeah but there was that hot day a couple weeks ago and the daytime temps were comfy.”

Precisely why we developed the ACATT moniker . Even in record humid or record hot summers like last year and current they cold and chilly things 

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It seems a lot more effort goes into minimizing hot departures.

Really cuz my 22 posts about how hot its been mean nothing.  You got the play book down pat

29 minutes ago, tamarack said:

'07 was almost tolerable, but '09 was the no-tomatoes year (actually got 3 cherry tomatoes, total, before fungus stopped those vines as they had already done to main crop.)  August '09 was actually AN but the near-sunless June-July sealed that summer's fate, for temps and for gardens.

'07 and '08 were actually warmer than normal in ORH. Esp '08...'07 was near normal. But '09 was the 5th coldest summer at the airport site going back to 1948...including the coldest June/July couplet on record edging out 1982. 

Weve only had 2 below normal summers since then...2014 and 2017 and both were not by much. 

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Precisely why we developed the ACATT moniker . Even in record humid or record hot summers like last year and current they cold and chilly things 

Lets look back on posts, people say its been nothing but HHH, people respond well no,people post no 50s, people respond well no, people post no cold fronts, people respond well no. Then its oh look they are downplaying the Heat. So much spinning,  goalposts moving, changing what people said. Right out of the playbook,  except many of us have reading comprehension,  science skills and facts. Others shout from the hills and it echoes back cuz they enjoy the echo chamber.

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s how they are all going to be going forward. HHH like last year , this year.. all AN.. Summers like DC used to have . That’s shifted up into SNE

DC summers and Labrador winters. Scientifically it makes sense.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

'07 and '08 were actually warmer than normal in ORH. Esp '08...'07 was near normal. But '09 was the 5th coldest summer at the airport site going back to 1948...including the coldest June/July couplet on record edging out 1982. 

Weve only had 2 below normal summers since then...2014 and 2017 and both were not by much. 

You are downplaying it lol. Hey congrats on the new baby boy. So so awesome 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Debacle was probably the wrong term to describe 07 and 08. I just remember the week of the 4th in 07 being cold.

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Unfortunately, winters too. So grab a hold of that beloved ice pack, squeeze it tight, because it will be a distant memory when your girls are off to college and you’re home alone in the middle of winter, fireplace full of cob webs, sweating from warm beloved bermuda blue skies. 

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm sure you've read my rants on this in this in the past ... but, to paraphrase, this entire last two decades has observed SE/E Canada and the NE U.S. in a relative min compared to the whole planet's "hockey-sticking" climate curve...  We keep assessing above normals without the kind of extremes that come with it, while regions abroad suffer severity/frequency we've lagged on.  

It's hard to know why that is... Heights tend to -EPO the NE Pacific because of the ocean heat source ... I think?  That would cause a mass-conserved NW flow over the interior of the continent... tending to mitigate some % of 'big heat' potential... 

"Some %" not being all -

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Who was saying that last year wasn't hot and humid!?  LOL

No one is saying this year hasn't been hot.  No one.  Last year we went 30 straight days with relentless humidity.  This year we've had breaks.  Why are you so anti-data?

Oh and LOL at the notion that we have DC style summers now.  No way did they ever average lows near 60 in the summer.

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I mean I’ve got my cold moments and you’ve called me a captain of ACATT....but it’s usually just because of our climate differences.  It’s hard to ignore the departures though, especially the SNE ones this month.  

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I mean I’ve got my cold moments and you’ve called me a captain of ACATT....but it’s usually just because of our climate differences.  It’s hard to ignore the departures though, especially the SNE ones this month.  

I become a member in Octorcher, but I leave in Morch , but a few of these fine folks can’t snap out of the cold all the time