Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

A nice range border to border there. Even in the Moose in SE Ct near IJD. Torch month 

Your circle in Tolland is closer, meaning you had 50s like everyone else. Best post you made was the day it was 58 and you said you went for a hhh run. 

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Outside of the stretch we had last week overnight lows/early AM temps have not been impressively warm. Now I know that I get cool or chilly much more easily than the average person but there have been numerous days this summer that when I'm stepping out in the morning (~ 5 AM) I need a light coat. Daytime temperatures have been rebounding quite well and obviously that stretch has been quite above-average in spots 

It was indeed chilly at times. Friday night at Ocean beach at a concert many people had light hoodies on. You are not alone. I get up every morning at 6 and am outside at 615, some days last week were pretty dry and cool unlike the last 2 days which were warm and muggy.

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You have a narrative about cold fronts you posted then you despite facts continue to post the same narrative,  part of an overall problem 

It’s been AN every recent summer. Go and look it up. It’s not a narrative. I’m sure we’ll go through a cooler stretch at some point down the road, but it is what it is.  

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

COOP site? Probably counting 1 cooler morning for 2 days. When I see multiple back to back mins that are the same it's a flag for that.

It happens sometimes but I did have two days back to back last week that had the same low two mornings in a row.  I don't have my data in front of me but looking at the Staffordville COOP it looks like it was Thursday and Friday.  Either way, if that's the way temperatures have always been recorded, you're comparing apples to apples if one month is warmer or cooler than another.

FWIW, my normal low is 57-59 in July.

2 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

It happens sometimes but I did have two days back to back last week that had the same low two mornings in a row.  I don't have my data in front of me but looking at the Staffordville COOP it looks like it was Thursday and Friday.  Either way, if that's the way temperatures have always been recorded, you're comparing apples to apples if one month is warmer or cooler than another.

I think the argument was the amount of nights in the 50s.

18 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

It was indeed chilly at times. Friday night at Ocean beach at a concert many people had light hoodies on. You are not alone. I get up every morning at 6 and am outside at 615, some days last week were pretty dry and cool unlike the last 2 days which were warm and muggy.

Last Tuesday at peak climo it was in the 60s for most of the day.  A late break in the rain brought temps up into the low 70s .  I wonder how many people had light jackets last Tuesday morning?  I didn't but you know how people get "chilly".  Here's a graph from the Tolland STEM so no one thinks its from a "fake" cold site.

20190723.png

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think the argument was the amount of nights in the 50s.

Yeah and I think we had two if not 3 of them last week at peak climo.

It's been hot, don't get me wrong but there have also been breaks and non-weather people are talking about how there has been a general lack of high humidity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

Last Tuesday at peak climo it was in the 60s for most of the day.  A late break in the rain brought temps up into the low 70s .  I wonder how many people had light jackets last Tuesday morning?  I didn't but you know how people get "chilly".  Here's a graph from the Tolland STEM so no one thinks its from a "fake" cold site.

20190723.png

Bad example-it was a rainy day-big rains

34 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

Can we use these two for snow measurements this winter too???  :rolleyes:  :lol:

6 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

If we use GON to verify dews, we should use Bakersville for low temps.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol so true.  I have been to the GON ASOS it literally sits in a salt water marsh swamp

01032.jpg

When he mentioned GON I literally LOL.  Seriously.  That location has never come up in discussions and sits right on the water.  In AUGUST.  I say we stay with usual suspects (BDL & ORH) because those are the ones that he routinely uses for verification and for the day to count the Dp has to be 70+ for several hours that day.  It should be easy to do since he believes that it's going to be a humid month.  I don't think we need anything special.

What do you say Kevin?

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

I'd toss your station for dews, for the same reason I'd toss mine for average high temps.  Transpiration effect significantly limits heating while boosting TDs.

Finally got some rain last evening after missing out last week.  Noisy TS brought 0.82" in 45 minutes, with most coming 6-6:25 PM.  (I was in Farmington where the storm was much less interesting.)  Another shower arrived 9 PM w/o thunder and brought my total to 0.95".  No Farmington report on cocorahs (my guess is about 0.3") while Temple, one town farther west, got the treatment I had last week, 0.04".

I'm jealous of your rn. I knew we'd get squat last night and I'm not hopeful for much on Weds. Lawn starting to take a beating now.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s been AN every recent summer. Go and look it up. It’s not a narrative. I’m sure we’ll go through a cooler stretch at some point down the road, but it is what it is.  

lol.  It’s the same every summer.  Someone says it was a very warm month, +3 to +4 or something.... then someone says no, it was chilly last Tuesday.  

If January is -4F, it doesn’t seem like we spend days trying to poke holes in that narrative like some do during the warmer departures.

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

I'm guessing Dendrite does what I do when flagged that way - check nearby stations with known midnight obs to see if they also have twins, and if not, discount one of the flagged site's minima (for counting sub-50s/zeros/whatever.)  Sites with 7 AM obs probably run about 1° cooler than those recording at midnight, just because of doubled minima.  Best example for me is the Farmington co-op, where its 2nd coldest morning (-38) was recorded on Jan. 21, 1994, almost certainly at 7:01 as the coldest (-39) came on the 20th and no midnight sites were anywhere near as cold on the 21st as on the 20th.

I'm jealous of your rn. I knew we'd get squat last night and I'm not hopeful for much on Weds. Lawn starting to take a beating now.

Last Sunday-Tuesday southern Franklin was dead last in precip for Maine, as the north got the Sunday morning MCS remains while the south got some of the LP rains.  I thought (and posted yesterday afternoon) that we would see the storms dodge once again, especially after the earlier warned TS slipped away south and another grumbled by to the north.  The water in my truck bed at 8 PM suggested 1/4" in Farmington, so I was very pleasantly surprised to see more than thrice that much in the gauge at 9.