Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

22 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

I'm not convinced it was a tornado all the way through. It definitely touched down. Wouldn't doubt a lot of straight line damage too being perhaps majority of damage.

Looks like tornado damage is limited to EF0 or EF1.

I would agree based on the velocity. 

We already know there was a tornado but I think there certainly was significant straight line wind damage as well. 

37 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

He's having trouble with cell service. I asked him if trees fell in multiple directions. Sounded like he described straight line. But not sure if he's had chance to travel enough to tell (or if he would understand)

Surveys are tough, especially when basing it off tree damage alone.

Weak trees (think stronger tornado) relative to an inflow dominant tornado tend to fall before the tornado arrives, so they will actually fall opposite the tornado direction of motion. As the tornado weakens this type of tornado shows a broadening confluent damage path but all roughly in the same direction.

As there become more rotation relative to inflow (less convergent) with tornadoes the damage pattern gets even more convoluted. The stronger a tornado gets the more the tree pattern will look unidirectional (but the key is it falls across track).

And the stronger and more convergent a tornado gets, the more the confluent zone of damage shifts to the left of track. 

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Surveys are tough, especially when basing it off tree damage alone.

Weak trees (think stronger tornado) relative to an inflow dominant tornado tend to fall before the tornado arrives, so they will actually fall opposite the tornado direction of motion. As the tornado weakens this type of tornado shows a broadening confluent damage path but all roughly in the same direction.

As there become more rotation relative to inflow (less convergent) with tornadoes the damage pattern gets even more convoluted. The stronger a tornado gets the more the tree pattern will look unidirectional (but the key is it falls across track).

And the stronger and more convergent a tornado gets, the more the confluent zone of damage shifts to the left of track. 

I am having a twister hit my brain after reading this lol

33 minutes ago, LSC97wxnut said:

If tornadic, at least EF-1 per the Cape Sands Roof?

Lots of conjecture on my part.  I looked up the Cape Sands Inn.  So per this picture, it was a west wind that took off the roof.  Maybe RFD from the departing circulation.  That Inn seems a bit far NW of where the ground circulation would have been?  How wide would a small tornado be on the ground?  Maybe 500 feet?  Wind at the Inn could have gotton under the roof and pulled the whole thing off.  We will have to see what the NWS says because much of this damage could just be straight line winds around a broad center.

Untitled.jpg

Just now, sbos_wx said:

I am having a twister hit my brain after reading this lol

Yeah try doing this in the field when all you have is a bunch of trees broken like match sticks!

That's why the surveys take so long. The wind speed is usually the easy part, determining if it was a tornado and the track is much harder. 

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nice vid. That wind got into that porch area and peeled that roof off like a lid on a can of cat food. Almost looked like it came off a little too easily.

That's what it looked to me.  Strong straight line wind got under old, crappy construction.  Although I don't blame the guy filming it's too bad we didn't see another 30 seconds to see if any kind of wind switch.