Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah we mentioned this. Noticed Euro backed off overnight. Just a muggy 75-80 degree day tomorrow pike south 

It's angular in orientation.  "the PIke" is west to east...? 

It may be warmer in southern VT than NE CT tomorrow, both of which will be cooler than NYC .. more like that.  Just keep that in mind... and also, the cooler momentum/secondary push could come back ... It's just that specific aspect has backed off for the time being - that's all.  

But we'll see ..it might be able to get to 80 out your way... A DP slide back into the 60s is a good guess, too

Does look like SPC has rehashed the slight region a little farther N... now up to the VT/NH border... "I think" it was down near the pike early?  ... anyway - sky has opened up markedly from the southern tier of NYS east through Massashusetts and temperatures are responding with rapidity.  Should be mid to upper 80s in the interior south of Rt 2 by noon and probably if we don't set off convection sooner...headed for 90.   This may actually be a modest sun bust/positive 

40 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Regarding Saturday HHH, we have an open concept great room with 20' cathedral ceilings. Total sqft including foyer and kitchen is 740sqft. Too late to get a mini split, so was thinking of 12,000 btu window rattler. With all the open space, I'm not sure how effective a window unit will be, so burning $450 may be a waste. Plus we have large windows that lets the sun in, so I'm thinking the unit will provide little relief for our BBQ guests.

We have a great room, living room, dining room, kitchen, etc 1st level and get by with 1 8000 btu window unit. Over 1200 square feet.   Great room ceiling isn’t as high (15’).  Very comfy right now. Keeping the moisture down is key

with 25-30 people, especially if going in and out opening doors all day that might not work

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Does look like SPC has rehashed the slight region a little farther N... now up to the VT/NH border... "I think" it was down near the pike early?  ... anyway - sky has opened up markedly from the southern tier of NYS east through Massashusetts and temperatures are responding with rapidity.  Should be mid to upper 80s in the interior south of Rt 2 by noon and probably if we don't set off convection sooner...headed for 90.   This may actually be a modest sun bust/positive 

KFIT was already 86F at their 11ish reading. 90 looks doable. Sky has that look today for an over performer temp wise

We have a great room, living room, dining room, kitchen, etc 1st level and get by with 1 8000 btu window unit. Over 1200 square feet.   Great room ceiling isn’t as high (15’).  Very comfy right now. Keeping the moisture down is key

with 25-30 people, especially if going in and out opening doors all day that might not work
Yeah the deck doors will be opening and closing a lot. May try putting our small dehumidifier in the room. Maybe that will help a bit

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Regarding Saturday HHH, we have an open concept great room with 20' cathedral ceilings. Total sqft including foyer and kitchen is 740sqft. Too late to get a mini split, so was thinking of 12,000 btu window rattler. With all the open space, I'm not sure how effective a window unit will be, so burning $450 may be a waste. Plus we have large windows that lets the sun in, so I'm thinking the unit will provide little relief for our BBQ guests.

We have a similar set up at home that is 620 ft.² and do it with a 14,000 BTU portable with another 6000 BTU window unit in the dining room.  Those +2 fans and the ceiling fan usually make even the worst HHH days quite bearable.

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

A lot of bold calls on that map....tropical focus along the shores of FL,Al, AR, and LA....Thunderstorms in NY,VT, NH and ME during the summer??..that is practically unheard of....and sea breezes along the coast... learn something new every day...……..

:lol: 

1 hour ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

A lot of bold calls on that map....tropical focus along the shores of FL,Al, AR, and LA....Thunderstorms in NY,VT, NH and ME during the summer??..that is practically unheard of....and sea breezes along the coast... learn something new every day...……..

And a forecast for the East Coast of . . . . . . . warm muggy humid dry!  Who woulda thought . . .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

I was at Bradley Beach in early July 1966 with temps near 100.  Sand was unwalkable without shoes.  Some beautiful young lady around our age (19-20 then) had to stand on our blanket to survive.  Was fun!

Hottest I've ever been was during that heat wave, Sat-Mon, July 2-4.  NYC had 100/103/98 those days and LGA touched 107 on Sunday.  I was doing short-order cooking at Curtiss-Wright's employee lake resort in NNJ, and it was stifling hot behind the counter that Sunday.  Cheap coil thermometer on the side of the counter opening only had scale to 120° and the needle was way past there - at least 140 and that was as far from the gas griddle that we could get.  Had to stop toasting rolls under the griddle, as they bypassed brown and went straight to black.  Must've been well above 150 where we'd stand to flip burgers.  However, with a temp/dew of 160/70, RH would be under 10% so the sweat dried almost instantly.  One sweaty customer asked how we looked so "fresh" and sweatless; my response was something like "oven-dried."  We set records that Sunday for attendance, ice tea sales (natch) and coffee sales (hot coffee only.)  At that time I'd never had even one cup of hot coffee, and was puzzled that, while ice tea demand varied by the wx, coffee varied by the number of people thru the gate.

Import some dragon flies and you won't see any of them, When we have the dragon flies at the golf course, The horse/deer flies are no where to be found, They pick them off right in mid air.

At forestry summer camp in 1974, we were building a two-span timber bridge for an eastern Washington County logging road.  Height of black fly season and the work site was right in their spawning zone - clouds of them so thick that one needed to breathe thru one's teeth.  About 2 PM a couple hundred dragonflies appeared and 10 minutes later there wasn't a black fly to be seen.  I've read that the larger species can take in 100 bugs/hour, and their (aquatic) nymphs can catch and eat small fish. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

And a forecast for the East Coast of . . . . . . . warm muggy humid dry!  Who woulda thought . . .

I'm going to draw my own map for winter.  Winter is still several months off but one of the highlights of my map is going to read "Great Lakes- Lake Effect Snow".