Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Makes sense but thought being close to the cool GOM waters would limit big heat. I guess with W winds though it doesn’t matter much. 

Does not matter at all. Logan is one of the hottest, if not hottest in SNE with west winds. Water only matters when it's onshore. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Does not matter at all. Logan is one of the hottest, if not hottest in SNE with west winds. Water only matters when it's onshore. 

That site runs warm though. Don’t you get some low level coolness from the water regardless of winds? Like when I’m in NYC on N/NW winds, I still notice a temp difference between uptown and downtown (financial district) as downtown is exposed to the open waters moreso....at least it ‘feels’ cooler. 

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like the euro tries to mix out the dews up here a bit Sat...hence the low 100s. Meanwhile it’s hitting NYC/SNE with dews of Jurassic yore in the low 80s. I’d lop off 3-5° on all of it. 100/65 for MHT and 96/76 for HFD. 

It does appear we should or could certainly mix down dews as the day progresses...probably starting off quite humid

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That site runs warm though. Don’t you get some low level coolness from the water regardless of winds? Like when I’m in NYC on N/NW winds, I still notice a temp difference between uptown and downtown (financial district) as downtown is exposed to the open waters moreso....at least it ‘feels’ cooler. 

It shouldn't matter really. In all my years watching Logan, warm bias or not, they torch on west winds. There really is not a conduction aspect from water to temps with a stout west or southwest wind. Perhaps being near the water and open allows for stronger winds and maybe it feels cooler?

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It shouldn't matter really. In all my years watching Logan, warm bias or not, they torch on west winds. There really is not a conduction aspect from water to temps with a stout west or southwest wind. Perhaps being near the water and open allows for stronger winds and maybe it feels cooler?

Probably just a feel then especially when you get stiffy nw winds funneling down midtown to downtown skyscrapers. When I’m uptown you don’t have the funneling aspect yet so it feels warmer. 

26 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

holy shite, that's ridiculous for Saturday. We'll be having 25-30 people over. maybe we'll be partying in the basement.

Won't be much fun on Saturday, I'll be looking for the shade, Just hoping for a breeze, May have to make a red neck pool.

image.png.a64ee4665a2b3860101095d00861be28.png

• Haha 1

In general ... when DP is added to air, it steals from the temperature ... That's the old trusty, PV=NRT at work for ya - 

96/76 might be a good call anyway but we don't have to limit per se ... Case in point, in 2011 ... 102/75 too place down there and it wasn't an accident of a single outlier, either... It was pervasive down that way, with a scattering throughout metrowest of Boston too ... ( I wanna say July 22? but I'm notoriously bad with exact dates) .  Anyway, that was about as ideal of a set up on that faithful date as can be achieved ( interestingly about that day ... mid afternoon a kind of 'dry line' swept down the Mohawk Trail all the way to the coast ...roughly N of the Mass Pike... and stranded the heat there with bone-dry variety.  I recall Fitchburg had a DP in the mid to upper 60s at 99 around noon...  but 3pm it was low to mid 50s at one dollar).  

Hard to say what Saturday's DP bathe will exactly be - cannot be ascertained (still) from Tuesday.  I don't think anyway.  But if 850 mb temperatures are 22 or 23 C on a West wind the sfc can get to 102 just eyeballin' the skew-t/log-p diagram...  ( Oh know ...not ... actual meteorology!)    22 C gets you to ~ 97 using standard adiabat and 1000 mb.. but, 23 gets you just over 98 ... but the 2-meter is usually a logarithmic slope good for almost 2 C and there's you'r 101 ... 102..   

The Euro attempts to miss a heat wave entirely...  

Whaaa - 

Yup... First of all it's joined the others in using Barry's theta-e smear to choke out Thursday.   NAM just goes so far as to generate actual close isobars as his guts come... which of course sensibly acts like a flag taut BD ...  Either way, that all took Thursday out of contention, so regardless of heat tomorrow ( marginal 90 as it appears...), we have to reset.  

Friday and Saturday are slam dunks ... But Sunday is morphing into more of wildcard than folks may realize.  This is a weird whack pattern we are in.. First of all, we shouldn't be getting this "deterministically" hot with such a flat ridge.   That does not mean flat ridges can't bring heat - it means... deterministically.  As in, no margin for error, yet ...no perturbations or errors in four days of this ?   Think about that.. but's been stalwart for at least for Friday and Saturday.  Relative to that, it's possible the Euro is too amped with the trough in Ontario early next week as an entirely separate matter... oy -

The long of the short is..  I could see an earlier front Sunday capping 89 ...and then we got a week that looks sumpin' like, 77/96/100/89 ... No heat wave trophy for you!  I kind of hope that happens...  89/101/101/89 ...  it underscores the silliness of human rules and conventions ...

The region around the Red Sea around NE Africa is touted as the highest combination of sustained dew point temperature in combination with high temperature on the planet.  

Combinations as high a 115/88 have been noted in that region in the past.  

It seems what the Euro is attempting to do, is get us into the 80th %tile of hottest total thermodynamic circumstance plausible.    But, ... 80% does offer some wiggle room :arrowhead:

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The region around the Red Sea around NE Africa is touted as the highest combination of sustained dew point temperature in combination with high temperature on the planet.  

Combinations as high a 115/88 have been noted in that region in the past.  

It seems what the Euro is attempting to do, is get us into the 80th %tile of hottest total thermodynamic circumstance plausible.    But, ... 80% does offer some wiggle room :arrowhead:

I remember regularly experiencing 100/84 in Dubai along the Persian Gulf. When the dew would drop to like 77F, you'd get 106F.

Well... here's another school of thinking ... 

GW planetary/environmental modeling doesn't exact spurn the notion of increasing frequency of elevated DPs in the integrated atmosphere.  

We've seen 84 F DPs over the Iowa farming ambiance ... This was quite noticeable in the 2012 heat wave - a rare heat wave that nearly matched what's been taking place more repetitively abroad, but struck from the the MS Valley to the M/A ..  At it's capped apex ( meaning open sear unabated solar irradience with limited vertical mixing ...) DPs were 78 to 85 through eastern NE ... IA to northern IL..  

That's transient anthropogenically induced.   I'm not sure how the former GW plays into that.  It has to by some .. intuitively.  

Anyway, the notion/fact that we have relatively lower incidences of 90 F high temperatures across New England, yet...many climate sites are soared to + 4.. 5 or more above for July so far, ...connected to elevated nocturnal lows... 

See ... here's the insidious problem ... water.  It's specific heat by volume is 4. and half times greater compared to air ...without water.  By sustaining more vapor content, ...even decimals ( thus ) have a profound impact on the thermal behavior of the atmosphere. Namely, .1 C may mean 2 F ... just spit-ballin' an example... It's not a geometrical relationship is all I'm saying.  We could be running just a slight positive DP anomaly ( GW or not... but I suspect as much...), and that would account for these lows being elevated.   I've taken note my self that all of these mild nights have happened when it was clear.   So, ..it's not for a dearth of radiational opportunities. 

This could all  be partially or totally true, and the DPs could still just be totally wrong by the Euro... Just trying to provoke thought 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember regularly experiencing 100/84 in Dubai along the Persian Gulf. When the dew would drop to like 77F, you'd get 106F.

Dubai ?  ...interesting... why were you there?  

You're lucky... I wanna see so much  - but feel just like all the other flies in the economic amber of the proletariat life.