Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

40 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Nowadays it’s untuckits and chinos though I still roll old school 

I was reading about the 'male style' for 2019 and apparently cargo shorts are dead... 

Honestly reading the article ... it seemed like the proponents of fashion have just always hated cargo shorts and are a bit overly thrilled to announce them as dead, claiming that chinos are the way now. 

Be that as it may, ... but, I still think it's more of a generation thing.  Gen-Xers are still doing what they've always been comfortable doing, which cargos... Xers are taking over middle age now ... Just like our fathers - they didn't deviate much either...  I'm sort of tacitly aware of fashion ... mainly because I have 8 sisters and half of them are artists so... that pretty much forced me to be aware of it.. Anyway, the Millennials have adopted the flip flop and chino shorts look...  which ...ironically?  That is really the "orientation fluidity" of the 1980s ( to put it PC ).   

Yeah ... that's right.  And it's interesting how the standard/fad for masculine identify has taken on a look that is actually reversed in the past three decades.    

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It actually tries to move a shallow BD into ENE at the end of the run after that s/w trough passes north of us around d3. Tries to pull 70s over 50s Thu afternoon with onshore flow.

image.png

Yeah I was just looking at the 60 hour on the FRH grid when I was looking that over ... but now I see looking at that synoptics where the chilly Thrusday comes from....

Interesting, ... it almost appears to create the BD out of nothing...Its not like it cross NE Maine and then cuts all the way down like is more typical... It more like instantiates it right in the area... 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah I was just looking at the 60 hour on the FRH grid when I was looking that over ... but now I see looking at that synoptics where the chilly Thrusday comes from....

Interesting, ... it almost appears to create the BD out of nothing...Its not like it cross NE Maine and then cuts all the way down like is more typical... It more like instantiates it... 

Maybe it's more of a weak "front" door...if you loop the images.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ETANE9_12z/etaloop.html

The return flow of high dews moves right back in. Probably just the NAM doing NAM things

32 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was reading about the 'male style' for 2019 and apparently cargo shorts are dead... 

Honestly reading the article ... it seemed like the proponents of fashion have just always hated cargo shorts and are a bit overly thrilled to announce them as dead, claiming that chinos are the way now. 

Be that as it may, ... but, I still think it's more of a generation thing.  Gen-Xers are still doing what they've always been comfortable doing, which cargos... Xers are taking over middle age now ... Just like our fathers - they didn't deviate much either...  I'm sort of tacitly aware of fashion ... mainly because I have 8 sisters and half of them are artists so... that pretty much forced me to be aware of it.. Anyway, the Millennials have adopted the flip flop and chino shorts look...  which ...ironically?  That is really the "orientation fluidity" of the 1980s ( to put it PC ).   

Yeah ... that's right.  And it's interesting how the standard/fad for masculine identify has taken on a look that is actually reversed in the past three decades.    

screw fashion. cut-off jeans ftw. My dad used to wear them and used a rope as a belt

• Haha 1

I need lots of pockets so f um cargo is my casual. Chino semi.

Hot hot hot incoming until then well just another fine day. Model epic Barry fails abound. Lol how are the climate change alarmists 911 callers doin. I understand drawing attention to an issue but like everything else the radicals cry wolf and lose the important message. Too bad they are so many half truths, agenda driven folks in the media all around. I hope they understand most of us laugh at them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

screw fashion. cut-off jeans ftw. My dad used to wear them and used a rope as a belt

DILF Khakis and GILF shorts for the win.

Either would work today.  It is a COC day up here today!  The air felt great this morning with all the windows open.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hot hot hot incoming until then well just another fine day. Model epic Barry fails abound. Lol how are the climate change alarmists 911 callers doin. I understand drawing attention to an issue but like everything else the radicals cry wolf and lose the important message. Too bad they are so many half truths, agenda driven folks in the media all around. I hope they understand most of us laugh at them.

Agenda driven folks are usually quite transparent to me . Always protesting 2 much, name calling ,  intellectual light weights that can fool those that are almost always fooled 

81- Nashua C.O.C baby !

23 minutes ago, Hoth said:

This might be the nicest day of summer to date. Crystal clear air, comfortable temps, low dews, light breeze. Had an hour long swim in the sound and didn't even get chilly. Tough to beat. 

So so many perfect July days. Water is just right. Need some surf

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

The Barry totals were definitely a big bust. That's good though...obviously less flooding than expected. Kind of the opposite of what happened in Harvey when the totals were more than forecast. 

mm... GGEM is trying to sneak shirk the heat tho - ... nicking here and there on height and width of the thing...  May just be model noise... but you know, like I've been sayin all along.. I don't like the flat look to the ridge, and the fact that we are so close to the jet/westerlies that this has marginal room for error. 

If this some turns into an 89/74 pig bummer ..wouldn't shock me just the same.  No room for error is bit too pricey for modeling performance at D5+ 

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Means the storm ...Barry...failed to produce the “substantial “ storm effects that were forecast 

shocking for such a ugly system 

Oh... ah huh ... Barry!

I was thinking Barre Falls flood plain ... jesus - 

right right.  

GF asked what to expect in NOLA and I told her ... not much.  

My thing is/was ... "Barry" never looked like it had it's act together.  Now I'm not impugning NHC's efforts; I suspect their hands were cuffed by the scenario.  The "ifs" could not be discounted, and should that system have quasi RI'ed the liability was priceless.   That's just one of those situations where you have to over produce and let the chips fall where they may.   Better to be made fun of and only thought of as a fool... than to have had that happen and removed all doubt ;) 

Monday quarter -back 

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mm... GGEM is trying to sneak shirk the heat tho - ... nicking here and there on height and width of the thing...  May just be model noise... but you know, like I've been sayin all along.. I don't like the flat look to the ridge, and the fact that we are so close to the jet/westerlies that this has marginal room for error. 

If this some turns into an 89/74 pig bummer ..wouldn't shock me just the same.  No room for error is bit too pricey for modeling performance at D5+ 

Yes, this doesn’t seem to have enough interest to garner even a sentence from some of the other brightest minds here...but you make (IMO) good points on how it wouldn’t take much to mute the weekend “super” heat 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:38 PM, OceanStWx said:

This is all I can find.

Locations:

1945-09-01 to 1948-06-01 0.5 MI SE OF PO
1944-01-01 to 1945-09-01 0.2 MI NE OF PO
1942-02-01 to 1944-01-01 0.7 MI SW OF PO
1898-02-01 to 1942-02-01 0.2 MI N OF PO
Relocations
1945-09-01 .6 mi SE
1944-01-01 .8 mi NE
1942-02-01 .9 mi SSW

After playing with Google Earth, those above locations confirm my suspicions that, prior to the current observer's move to 1.3 miles N of the PO, all locations were in the built-up part of town.  The 19898-to-1942 site would be among houses that, for the most part, are still there.  It and 1944-45 are on SW-facing sidehills, while the others prior to 1966 are pretty much flat.  The original at/near PO location has been built up for well over a century, though in the 1890s the streets were likely unpaved.  The current location lies north of the built-up area, on a west-facing sidehill, a considerably different type of site from all previous ones.  The info you found can explain a number of facets of the co-op's data, and looking for signs of 7 AM obs time (typically, "twin" winter minima during a cold snap when nearby sites only show one) can offer additional clarity.  I've found no signs of mid-afternoon (typically 4 PM) obs, most easily noted by twin maximums in hot weather.

The 6/1/1948 date is one I've noted as start-up for many other co-ops.  It's like NWS got some post-war funds to establish dozens to hundreds of new sites, and perhaps some relocations of existing ones.

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Yes, this doesn’t seem to have enough interest to garner even a sentence from some of the other brightest minds here...but you make (IMO) good points on how it wouldn’t take much to mute the weekend “super” heat 

Huh? He just posted it 10 minutes ago?

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The Barry totals were definitely a big bust. That's good though...obviously less flooding than expected. Kind of the opposite of what happened in Harvey when the totals were more than forecast. 

I wonder if some mets who busted low on Harvey overcompensated on this one.  Of course, a ragged Cat 1 that crawls is different from a Cat 4 that parks.  Either way, I'm very happy that the effects are as modest (so far) as we've seen.

Barry looks to have an area that has almost 15 to 20 inches already. So narrow area may work out to have those big amounts, just not as large as some guidance had. Which when you have a system look like this, isn’t that hard to believe.  However, for this one storm that didn’t work out quite as planned, I can think of a few others that certainly exceeded what model guidance had. From a rain standpoint, while it didn’t work out with this one, I don’t think it was overhyped considering what model guidance  had and past history with tropical systems.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I wonder if some mets who busted low on Harvey overcompensated on this one.  Of course, a ragged Cat 1 that crawls is different from a Cat 4 that parks.  Either way, I'm very happy that the effects are as modest (so far) as we've seen.

It’s the politics (so to speak ) of professionally forecasting tropical systems on gulf coast .

If someone gets 40” of rain and you forecast 10” ...not good for you . 

Much more forgiveness over preparing people within the realm of model error ...instead of saying simply what you believe is most likely