Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

42 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

TORCH!!

When did temps a few degrees above normal become a torch?  Are 30s in January a torch now?

I had to chuckle at BDL's ob on the roundup...the heat index was lower than the actual temp:

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
BRADLEY INTL   PTSUNNY   91  58  32 VRB3      29.99S HX  90

What a way to run a "heat wave"...lol

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

When did temps a few degrees above normal become a torch?  Are 30s in January a torch now?

I had to chuckle at BDL's ob on the roundup...the heat index was lower than the actual temp:

That is often how stations can register heat waves. :/  what does that have to do with anything?  

18 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Day 2 of many in the 90’s or 100’s this month. Gonna be wild 

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

I leave the thermostat at 70 in the winter, Use to turn it down at night then back up during the day but you use more energy heating back up the inside of the house, You use less energy maintaining the same temp.

Ours is set at 62 year-round in the main zone, but that doesn't mean much as it's less than 15' from the Jotul and in summer the furnace runs only for domestic hot water.  Rear zone sometimes gets set at 65 in winter to lower the blanket load for my wife.

Office has been 77-78 for the past 2 weeks, a bit stuffy at first but one adapts.  Last year at this time it was 82-84 while the office across the hall was about 70 with the blower on constantly, and the staffer there put on extra clothes and still shivered.  It's a century-old brick fortress and even the retro-fit of 12-14 years ago didn't solve everything.  Improved my current office (in a framed 80-year-old addition) a bit - last pre-reno winter I was here (1995-96) temps at desk level ran 60-62, a bit chilly on the fingers, while at ankle height it was low 40s.  Made me get up and walk more often - not a bad thing.  Of course 2-3 days after a large snowfall, when hundreds of pounds of snow/ice slid off the slate roof some 25-30' higher than here and came thundering down atop the roof 6 feet above my head, I always wondered if the old framed roof would hold.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Some of those departures down in SNE look a little out of ordinary... the +4 to +6 at like ORH up to PWM is fairly impressive even if only 10 days in.  

The departures are being skewed by the overnight lows at the airports. For example LWM has had much higher overnight lows than what I have observed at my home. On a straight line I am only a few miles away from the airport. Something has been off with the temp readings at LWM for years. Perhaps there is a similar situation going on at other airports. 

Got up to at least 87F today up here off a low of 54F. That’s in “hot” territory for here.

Feels more humid with dews in the upper 50s.  Noticeable from yesterday’s 48-52F dews.  

Still some high diurnal ranges this month...only 33 degrees today but was just shy of a 40 degree spread yesterday.