• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

This one is for powderfreak for BTV....you have to go back to the pre-2010 days or so when they didn't run warm....but the really noticeable furnace there started around 2013 or so...and seems to just get slowly worse each year.

BTV_MADIS.png

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They may have 0.01C accuracy, but it doesn't mean much when they're measuring over rocks, sand, or concrete and averaging the data over 5 minutes. The days of yore probably have 12" tall grass around a stevenson screen with mercury max/min thermometers.

I remember driving by MVL a few summers ago and it had like 2-3 foot tall high grass inside the ASOS fencing while all around it outside was mowed like a crew cut.

• Haha 1

Here's my Davis. My data has been fairly consistent straight across the line. The last couple of years my lows have gotten a hair cooler (a more positive error). I attribute that to the new Davis SHT31 sensor that has better accuracy at lower temperatures. I do get seasonal shifts as I get a lot of evapotranspirational cooling during the day on the north side of my hill. My surface struggles to completely dry out. Come winter, that difference washes out with a frozen ground and snow cover.

image.png

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I remember driving by MVL a few summers ago and it had like 2-3 foot tall high grass inside the ASOS fencing while all around it outside was mowed like a crew cut.

Didn't they move MVL within the last few years? Or was that MPV? I remember you posting about it.

44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol I was out cleaning up this winter with wind chill -25 surface temp 0.  I skied often with below zero temps and wind chills -30 plus. Layers , invigorating , but enjoy your dirty air I guess

How do you know my air was dirty?  I love you but you hate it when people don’t look at things your way.  

Give the average human your skiing conditions and last Saturday’s conditions and 95% would probably take the heat.  I’ve skiied in those bitter conditions and packed it in after 1-2 runs due to cold.  In each case I’ve noticed no one on the slopes so I’m pretty sure you’re in the minority.

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A warm ASOS is one thing, but I can't get past the snow measuring at Logan. I lose sleep over that.

I say this every year, NWS needs a small fenced in official station on Boston Common.  There is plenty of space for a small footprint station, just need someone reliable to measure. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I say this every year, NWS needs a small fenced in official station on Boston Common.  There is plenty of space for a small footprint station, just need someone reliable to measure. 

There is someone who does measure there (possibly NWS employee?) Also, my co-worker has an apt right there at the end of Marlboro St.  He does measure too (used to be the Logan observer for awhile until 2012).

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I honestly don't care as much about snow measurments as there are too many variables that can lead to widely different outputs.  Wind/Temps/DP/Humidity are all measurable outside human interaction.

We all agree there are errors for snow measuring. However, when it's apparent beyond any error bars possible (and used for climo purposes)..it should be at least reasonable. For my work, it's also used as a comparison to our forecast vs reality. It's frustrating to communicate the fact that we know it's in error...but that's the official report.

17 minutes ago, weathafella said:

How do you know my air was dirty?  I love you but you hate it when people don’t look at things your way.  

Give the average human your skiing conditions and last Saturday’s conditions and 95% would probably take the heat.  I’ve skiied in those bitter conditions and packed it in after 1-2 runs due to cold.  In each case I’ve noticed no one on the slopes so I’m pretty sure you’re in the minority.

Yep ski on lifts all day, hope you enjoyed your hot cocoa. Lol I don't care a bit you like HHH, I love it when I am in the water catching big surf or in the pool up to my neck. Life is good, enjoy all the days. 99% of HHH lovers work inside full time. Top ten day. Air quality today versus Sat. Clean air versus not so clean

27 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A friend of ours just texted a similar pic to my wife asking what was up.  I didn’t see it from my house.  

I’ve been busy dealing with a piece of shit Samsung refrigerator.  

Ha, Well GE is no better, I have begun switching out appliances to Whirlpool on the recommendation from a appliance repair man.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Ha, Well GE is no better, I have begun switching out appliances to Whirlpool on the recommendation from a appliance repair man.

When we moved in, a sub zero came with the house. The most amazing fridge ever.  When the motor goes (it’s 20+ years old and works great) I’ll replace it for the cost of a new non sub zero fridge or if I’m old enough (less years to spend whatever is left) just buy a new one which is $7500+ -now I know why.

Just now, ineedsnow said:

Doesn't look long last year's prolonged humidity type of pattern. More of a couple spurts here and there. Only humid day of these 7 is Thursday night/Friday

As Scooter has been preaching . Just wait till next week and beyond. The only dewdown we really had was today and tomorrow. Otherwise basically a straight thru shot 

• Sad 1