Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Interesting...

:) 

...'cept I wasn't commenting on that at all...  It was a response to Jerry's jest about the daylight fader types, and wishing summer away... 

I guess some people don't like daylight - word

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Do you know why the MOS for PANC seems to sometimes love spitting out high t'storm probs and always has 99 for severe? 

Always wondered that...it's kind of funny. 

Yeah...my senior thesis was all about the PANC MOS TS probs.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...my senior thesis was all about the PANC MOS TS probs.

Hope you got an A

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

btw...those 99s are missing data. When ASH used to be a manned station with only daytime obs their nighttime/min temp numbers were always "99".

ahhhh that makes sense. 

When I had to do newspaper forecasts at school for the class we were told it was some error with the t'storm algorithm :lmao: 

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

:) 

...'cept I wasn't commenting on that at all...  It was a response to Jerry's jest about the daylight fader types, and wishing summer away... 

I guess some people don't like daylight - word

Yeah I hate the fading daylight.  I love that right now I can take the dog out for a quick 3 miler at like 8pm.  We were out last night at 7:30pm and my wife said “If it was December it would’ve been dark for 3 hours already.”  Talk about a depressing thought. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

A lot of what you mention is climo.  The further north you go the less frequent heat & humidity get.  It's all about the wave heights.

The next 30 days are peak climo for me, all within a degree though it starts tailing off after the 24th.  My long term average is 80/58 right now and peaks at 81/59.  I think we're going to average AN but I do agree that we'll see some intrusions of BN like yesterday which is a contrast to last summer.  I don't think it will go down as the summer of HHH like last year but rather the summer of CHSH (clear, hot, sometimes humid) lol

My daily mean climbs over the 65°  mark tomorrow (76/54), and remains there thru August 9 without ever quite reaching 66.00, though my records being "live" means that significant AN or BN runs near those beginning-end dates could cause them to move earlier or later.  A hot stretch in late July could drag peak days above 66 as well.

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

I’ll see if you’re walking around when it’s 17 out and windy.  For the record, I did yard work Saturday followed by a brisk walk.  Loved it!  Hoping for more HHH soon.

Lol I was out cleaning up this winter with wind chill -25 surface temp 0.  I skied often with below zero temps and wind chills -30 plus. Layers , invigorating , but enjoy your dirty air I guess

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Brian, run that for BOS. 

I don't know where Brian gets multiple years worth of the output, but here's the last 52 weeks. This matches with the BOS nosedive later last summer and it has basically stayed there since late autumn

BOS_MADIS.png

edit" See Brian just posted the multiple years above

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't know where Brian gets multiple years worth of the output, but here's the last 52 weeks. This matches with the BOS nosedive later last summer and it has basically stayed there since late autumn

BOS_MADIS.png

Just edit the URL to the amount of days you want. I usually look for the sharp jumps for identifying potential issues. The gradual changes over time could mean a lot of things and not necessarily a change in the station's quality or geography. It could be different stations coming online getting factored into the analysis for QCing. Home stations used to run warmer than the airports. Now with the widespread FARS mesos seem to run cooler than the tarmacs now.

Thanks, wasn't able to run it today, but last looked at it a month ago. It's been like pulling teeth trying to convince people the ASOS just seems to be running warm. Of course I get the, "but OWD" however that looked to be drifting warm too. The errors at BOS really were noticeable with onshore flow. When Logan is one of the warmer spots inside 128, that raises eyebrows. With continental winds, it can be an oven off of downtown. I guess receiving over 10" of snow at temps of 33-34F and getting ice accretion with temps of 33F weren't enough convincing.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Thanks, wasn't able to run it today, but last looked at it a month ago. It's been like pulling teeth trying to convince people the ASOS just seems to be running warm. Of course I get the, "but OWD" however that looked to be drifting warm too. The errors at BOS really were noticeable with onshore flow. When Logan is one of the warmer spots inside 128, that raises eyebrows. With continental winds, it can be an oven off of downtown. I guess receiving over 10" of snow at temps of 33-34F and getting ice accretion with temps of 33F weren't enough convincing.

I thought it was most obvious in winter time. But yeah, the onshore flow is pretty telling too in the warm season. They should be running colder than a lot of stations in months like June.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

BED has trended slowly warmer too. OWD has been losing their extreme cold mins relative to surrounding areas. Can anyone who follows them confirm that it seems they radiate less than in recent years?

image.png

Anecdotally I had noticed OWD wasn't putting up some of the really good lows that they usually do the past winter or two. Wonder if they moved the ASOS location slightly on the airport ground? That may have affected it. I remember years ago seeing where the ASOS station was there and it almost looked like a local ditch on the airport itself.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

BED has trended slowly warmer too. OWD has been losing their extreme cold mins relative to surrounding areas. Can anyone who follows them confirm that it seems they radiate less than in recent years?

image.png

image.png

Again anecdotally, I noticed that too regarding OWD. They used to be like the moon. Not so much now. Perhaps some work at the airfield?

Edit: Will beat me to it. Definitely not the crazy lows like they've had before.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Again anecdotally, I noticed that too regarding OWD. They used to be like the moon. Not so much now. Perhaps some work at the airfield?

Yeah some local construction on the airfield could do it too...an extreme case of that was SEA a few years back.

It's prob either construction or a movement of the ASOS station on the grounds. The gradual slope might point more toward construction or perhaps some newer mesonet sites included in the analysis that are running pretty cold. For a site movement, I'd expect a sharp step increase or decrease.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Anecdotally I had noticed OWD wasn't putting up some of the really good lows that they usually do the past winter or two. Wonder if they moved the ASOS location slightly on the airport ground? That may have affected it. I remember years ago seeing where the ASOS station was there and it almost looked like a local ditch on the airport itself.

You can look up station meta data that will list any equipment moves (that's how I found out where BOS snowfall was being measured) and I don't see any for OWD. So my guess would be local airfield changes.

Related, no wonder they radiate so well...

0325BD1B21F96DF62EA597E311553AE2

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

You can look up station meta data that will list any equipment moves (that's how I found out where BOS snowfall was being measured) and I don't see any for OWD. So my guess would be local airfield changes.

Related, no wonder they radiate so well...

0325BD1B21F96DF62EA597E311553AE2

Haha....that's what I remember...it was like on a local swamp within the airport grounds.

Then you get a station like BVY that is on the water like BOS. Other than some bad data that got repaired here and there, their temps have been fairly consistent over the last 6 years. If the BOS jump was somewhat real, you'd expect to see similar errors at BVY.

image.png

I remember when we saw the CON numbers creeping up and Chris found they had installed rocks around the ASOS for better maintenance. Now their numbers are back in line. Goes to show you how much the surface around the sensor suite has an effect on the readings. I honestly trust Davis FARS readings more than some of the ASOS sites now. They may have 0.01C accuracy, but it doesn't mean much when they're measuring over rocks, sand, or concrete and averaging the data over 5 minutes. The days of yore probably have 12" tall grass around a stevenson screen with mercury max/min thermometers.