• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

Going forward we should see warming each day starting tomorrow with 90s possible Sat  and likely/widespread Sunday (7/28) - Wed (7/31) before the next front and drop back towards normal 8/1 - 8/6.  This reminds me of the progression after the end of June heat wave in Europe we see the strongest heat about 14 days after and I expect the same with stronger heat towards 8/9..  Still think we'll find a way to be on the continued wet/stormier than normal side of things.

• Like 2

The second historic heat wave of the summer in western Europe crested today with widespread all-time high temperature records being established. The national records set in Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands were surpassed today.

National records set today were:

Belgium: Beitem: 105° (40.7°C); old record: Kleine-Brogel: 102° (38.9°C), July 24, 2019

Germany: Lingen: 109° (42.6°C); old record: Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweilger: 104° (39.9°C), July 24, 2019

Until today, Germany had never had a 40.0°C reading. Today, 25 locations in Germany registered high temperatures of 40.0°C or above.

Netherlands: Gilze en Rijen: 105° (40.7°C); old record: Eindhoven: 103° (39.3°C), July 24, 2019

All-time record high temperatures were also set at among the following locations: Antwerp, Belgium: 104°; Beauvais, France: 106°; Beauvechain, Belgium: 104°; Bierset, Belgium: 102°; Brussels: 104°; Cambridge, United Kingdom: 101° (38.1°C)--2nd hottest ever in the UK; Charleroi, Belgium: 104°; Chateaudun, France: 106°; Chievres, Belgium: 104°; Cologne, Germany: 106°; Deelen, Netherlands: 102°; Diepholz, Germany: 100°; Dortmund, Germany: 102°; Duisburg, Germany: 106°; Dusseldorf, Germany: 105°; Eindhoven, Netherlands: 105°; Evreux, France: 106°; Florennes, Belgium: 102°; Frankfurt: 104°; Hupsel, Netherlands: 105°; Koksijde, Belgium: 104°; Le Havre, France: 100°; Le Mans, France: 106°; Le Touquet, France: 102°; Lille, France: 106°; London-Heathrow: 100° (tied all-time record); Luxembourg: 102°; Maastricht, Netherlands: 102°; Mannheim City, Germany: 104°; Meppen, Germany: 102°; Noervenich, Germany: 105°; Orleans, France: 106°; Ostend, Belgium: 102°; Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport: 106°; Paris-Le Bourget Airport: 108°; Paris-Orly Airport: 108°; Paris-Parc de Montsouris: 109°; Rotterdam, Netherlands: 99°; Rouen, France: 106°; Saarbrucken, Germany: 100°; Schaffen, Belgium: 104°; Spangdahlem, Germany: 101°; St. Dizier, France: 106°; St. Gatien, France: 102°; Tonisvorst, Germany: 106°; Tours, France: 106°; Troyes, France: 108°; Uccle, Belgium: 103°; Volkel, Netherlands: 104°; Westdorpe, Netherlands: 105°; Wiesbaden, Germany: 102°; Wilhelminadorp, Netherlands: 105°; and, Woensdrecht, Netherlands: 104°.

In terms of whether climate change played a role, it is likely that attribution studies will come to similar conclusions as those drawn concerning the June 2019 historic heat. That study can be found at: https://www.worldweatherattribution.org/wp-content/uploads/WWA-Science_France_heat_June_2019.pdf

The extreme heat will likely shift northward tomorrow. Saturday and perhaps Sunday could feature record warmth across parts of Norway and Sweden. Meanwhile record cold could develop in eastern Finland and a portion of western Russia during the latter part of the weekend and early part of next week. By the middle of next week, most of Europe will likely be colder than normal. The coldest anomalies relative to normal will be centered over eastern Europe, including western Russia.

Numerous record low temperatures were recorded across parts of the Southeastern United States this morning. Record lows included Austin: 64° (old record: 65°, 1901 and 1924) and Little Rock: 60° (old record: 61°, 2000). No monthly records were broken.

Anchorage remains on course for its warmest month on record following its warmest June on record. Based on the latest guidance, Anchorage has an implied near 100% probability of seeing only its 19th month on record with a mean temperature of 60.0° or above and an implied 99% probability of surpassing the 62.7° registered in July 2016 as its warmest month on record. The most likely range is currently 64.1°-64.8°.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.2°C for the week centered around July 17. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.22°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.45°C. Neutral-warm ENSO conditions are now evolving. There is considerable uncertainty about the ENSO evolution later this summer into the fall. Some of the guidance now shows the development of neutral-cool ENSO conditions.

The SOI was -5.60 today.

Today, the preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) figure was -0.986. A general tendency for blocking could persist through much of the remainder of July. Should blocking generally persist, a generally warm or perhaps very warm remainder of summer is likely.

Since 1950, there was only a single year that saw the AO average -1.000 or below in May and -0.500 or below in June (the preliminary June 2019 average was -0.665): 1993. 1993 featured much above normal readings in the East during the late summer (August 15-September 15 period) and predominantly cooler than normal readings across the western third of the nation during much of the summer. The latest EPS weekly guidance for August hints that above to possibly much above normal readings could develop in the Northeast, especially during the second half of the month.

In addition, since 1950, there have been four prior cases when the AO averaged -0.500 or below in both June and July: 1957, 1958, 1993, and 2009. In three (75%) of those cases, August wound up warmer than normal. August 1993 was the warmest case. The mean anomaly from those cases suggests that the Middle Atlantic and southern New England areas could be approximately 0.5° to 1.5° above normal overall during August.

The preliminary MJO data for July 24 was not available.

The implied probability of a warmer than normal July in New York City is currently 99%. Most likely range: 78.9°-80.0° (2.4° to 3.5° above normal).

Finally, on July 23, Arctic sea ice extent was 6.665 million square kilometers (JAXA). That is the lowest figure for July 25. However, over the next 30 days, Arctic sea ice extent would fall by nearly 3.0 million square kilometers in 2012 en route to a record low minimum figure of 3.177 million square kilometers on September 16.

• Like 1

The last 6 days of July are averaging 79.5degs., or 3degs. AN.

Month to date is  +2.9[79.4] and will probably end that way.

72.1* here at 6am.   75.7* by 8am.  78.4* by 11am.    Still 78.4* at Noon, and for the third straight day, innocent cumulus buildup to the west.      79.4* at 1pm.

The monthly minimum temperatures were among the warmest ever recorded during the month of July. All of our stations were 1st or 2nd place finishes. Temperatures couldn’t fall very much with the record dewpoints and heat.

Time Series Summary for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ - Month of Jul
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Lowest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2019 66 6
- 1994 66 0
- 1993 66 0
Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY - Month of Jul
Rank
Year
Lowest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2008 66 0
2 2019 65 6
- 1993 65 0
- 1970 65 0
- 1955 65 0
Time Series Summary for JFK INTL AP, NY - Month of Jul
Rank
Year
Lowest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2016 66 0
2 2019 65 6
- 2015 65 0
- 1970 65 0
Time Series Summary for WESTCHESTER COUNTY AP, NY - Month of Jul
Rank
Year
Lowest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2019 61 6
- 2012 61 0
Time Series Summary for ISLIP-LI MACARTHUR AP, NY - Month of Jul
Rank
Year
Lowest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2019 64 6
2 1994 63 0
Time Series Summary for IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORI AP, CT - Month of Jul
Rank
Year
Lowest Min Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2019 64 6
- 1994 64 0

1 hour ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

-NAO is really getting going on models, I suspect it will become stronger. -EPO is now showing up too. A lot of arctic ice melt pattern, could actually be bad for the Winter. 

JB seemed to suggest the warm August could be in trouble with the renewed blocking, but I always thought blocking in mid-late summer gave the northeast heat.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 10:13 AM, bluewave said:

Where was this historic -NAO pattern during the winter? It’s getting ready to significantly drop again after setting the new record. The LGA 100 degree day coincided with a brief rise to positive along with the record breaking Pacific Northwest jet streak. Also notice how the far North Atlantic SST’s have rapidly risen to near record levels under this pattern.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikarantane/status/1153756526630318081

NAO+ anyone? After being 88 days in a negative phase, the North Atlantic Oscillation has turned today to positive. This beats the previous record by almost three weeks!

2EC1531C-CD63-418D-B2CB-B4A8CFD4C9DF.thumb.gif.56b80382ebabf6a0a9cc086e9716fa8d.gif

7071AFC6-F2BE-470E-B851-8F54DDA4F775.png.a2ab4b5378fd2ea57b4740901ba45bf4.png

@bluewave Great post ! In your opinion what supports this continuation with the -NAO ? I know the cold pool had some role, but I thought is was warming and would lose it's influence soon if not already. Any thoughts ?

16 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

JB seemed to suggest the warm August could be in trouble with the renewed blocking, but I always thought blocking in mid-late summer gave the northeast heat.

JB is always looking for ways to make it cold. Look at his track record with the long range. We are just a few weeks away from him saying 2019-2020 will be he most epic cold and snowy is winter for the east coast. Like clockwork.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

JB is always looking for ways to make it cold. Look at his track record with the long range. We are just a few weeks away from him saying 2019-2020 will be he most epic cold and snowy is winter for the east coast. Like clockwork.

he usually hypes summer heat and went big on his August forecast.  (Yes I know his winter shtick, LOL)

1 hour ago, frd said:

The record -NAO reversed the entire Atlantic SST pattern. The cold pool that had been dominating the North Atlantic south of Greenland rapidly shifted to near record warm. Notice how much different the Atlantic is from this time last year. 

582319C3-9E5C-4A69-9A1B-56A2D943A10F.thumb.gif.71da90b2c0671bb536bfd665c5e03984.gif

A2BB7E53-6D75-4578-9341-F8E870FA9924.thumb.gif.90b7fe07659b768a15bc9922b1f8843d.gif

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Almost like the +AMO doesn't want to die.   I was convinced we were beginning the flip to the -AMO.  With all that warm water off our coast expect a warm fall and maybe even into Dec.

I'm not so sure everything will be warm. With the cold pool gone there's a good chance we see a lot more NAO blocking to come, which will have an effect on our weather past summer. 

Looks like a pretty positive PDO as well. I also don't think August will be as warm as people think.  

25 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I'm not so sure everything will be warm. With the cold pool gone there's a good chance we see a lot more NAO blocking to come, which will have an effect on our weather past summer. 

Looks like a pretty positive PDO as well. I also don't think August will be as warm as people think.  

I agree with August. With blocking returning any warm spells will be short lived. We'll see how everything unfolds. As far as next winter is concerned, if the -NAO regime continues to dominate it would be a game changer, since the last several winters have been void of any long term blocking. My fear is the pattern will flip back positive when December rolls around.

37 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

I agree with August. With blocking returning any warm spells will be short lived. We'll see how everything unfolds. As far as next winter is concerned, if the -NAO regime continues to dominate it would be a game changer, since the last several winters have been void of any long term blocking. My fear is the pattern will flip back positive when December rolls around.

August still looks warm overall and probably stronger warmth the second half.  Still think on/around Aug 9 stronger heat returns east,

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

About as perfect of a beach day as you can get here at Jones beach currently! The water is a light blue/turquoise with that light winds and plenty surface warming. For a minute you would think you were on a tropical island somewhere 

chamber of commerce weather this weekend-warm to hot but not too hot and no threat of storms.

53 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The record European heatwave made it to the edge of the Arctic circle today. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikarantane/status/1154824807365664768

Hot in Sweden: 34.8°C (95°F) today in Markusvinsa (66.7°N), just north of the Arctic circle!

Hey if anyone would like to give me a reason not to be panicking about the environment, that'd be hugely appreciated, thanks.

13 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Hey if anyone would like to give me a reason not to be panicking about the environment, that'd be hugely appreciated, thanks.

It will take quite a finger or number of to plug this dyke. I guess it’s time we retired the middle one. As always ......

The historic heat that smashed high temperature records in Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom yesterday has been shifting north. Nevertheless, more records were broken in parts of western Europe earlier today.

Records included: Bergen, Norway: 92° (all-time record); Bologna: 100°; Cologne: 102°; Dusseldorf: 102° (3rd consecutive 100° day; none prior to 2019); Eindhoven, Netherlands: 102°; Etne, Norway: 95° (all-time record); Frankfurt: 102°; Haugesund, Norway: 88° (tied all-time record); Kleine-Brogel, Belgium: 100°; Linz, Austria: 95°; Lugano, Switzerland: 95°; Markusvinsa, Sweden (north of the Arctic Circle at 66.725°N): 95°; Namskoggen, Norway: 94° (all-time record); Noervenich, Germany: 100°; Oulu, Finland: 84°; Overkalix-Svartbyn, Sweden: 94°; Paharova, Sweden: 92°; Stavanger, Norway: 90°; Tonisvorst, Germany: 105°; Verona, Italy: 99°; Vidsel, Sweden: 92° (all-time record); Vlieland Island, Netherlands: 90°; Volkel, Netherlands: 104° (tied all-time record); and, Ylitornio, Finland: 92° (all-time record).

For those who are interested in the climate change link to the heat, below are some excerpts from a paper published in February 2018:

We have analysed 50 climate model projections from the CMIP5 (RCP8.5) ensemble and calculated consistent and comparable metrics of climate impacts for HW, droughts and flooding for 571 European cities. More frequent and hotter HW are expected for all European cities. Southern cities see the largest increase in the number of HW days (as much as 69%).

Note: "HW" stands for heatwave.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aaaad3/meta

In terms of the near-term weather, record warmth is possible tomorrow and perhaps Sunday in parts of Europe, especially parts of Norway and Sweden. Meanwhile record cold will likely develop in eastern Finland and a portion of western Russia during the latter part of the weekend and early part of next week. By the middle of next week, most of Europe will likely be colder than normal. The coldest anomalies relative to normal will be centered over eastern Europe, including western Russia.

Anchorage remains on course for its warmest month on record following its warmest June on record. Based on the latest guidance, Anchorage has an implied near 100% probability of seeing only its 19th month on record with a mean temperature of 60.0° or above and an implied near 100% probability of surpassing the 62.7° registered in July 2016 as its warmest month on record. The most likely range is currently 64.6°-65.0°.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.2°C for the week centered around July 17. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.22°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.45°C. Neutral-warm ENSO conditions are now evolving. There is considerable uncertainty about the ENSO evolution later this summer into the fall. Some of the guidance now shows the development of neutral-cool ENSO conditions.

The SOI was +5.79 today.

Today, the preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) figure was -1.184. A general tendency for blocking could persist through into the first week in August and perhaps beyond that. Should blocking generally persist, a generally warm or perhaps very warm remainder of summer is likely.

Since 1950, there was only a single year that saw the AO average -1.000 or below in May and -0.500 or below in June (the preliminary June 2019 average was -0.665): 1993. 1993 featured much above normal readings in the East during the late summer (August 15-September 15 period) and predominantly cooler than normal readings across the western third of the nation during much of the summer.

In addition, since 1950, there have been four prior cases when the AO averaged -0.500 or below in both June and July: 1957, 1958, 1993, and 2009. In three (75%) of those cases, August wound up warmer than normal. August 1993 was the warmest case. The mean anomaly from those cases suggests that the Middle Atlantic and southern New England areas could be approximately 0.5° to 1.5° above normal overall during August.

On July 25, the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 0.486 (RMM). The July 24-adjusted amplitude was 0.568.

The implied probability of a warmer than normal July in New York City is currently greater than 99%. Most likely range: 78.9°-79.9° (2.4° to 3.4° above normal).

August continues to look warmer than normal across the Middle Atlantic and southern New England areas. The warmest anomalies relative to normal will likely occur during the second half of the month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

snip

Don, just wanted to say you are a great and very valuable poster.  Thanks for your thoughts and research as always.

EDIT: But also everything in your post is driving me to drink so if I continue posting please excuse the deteriorating spelling and grammar.

• Like 1

Looks like summer peaked last weekend. Hot and dry summer ended up being the correct call. I mean we’ve had rains but it’s been dry not humid. It’s been honestly one of my favorite summers of all time. Plenty of beach days and cool nights. Early next week may get a bit humid but I don’t think that continues I think hot and dry dews continue throughout August with cooler temps coming into play early August. September could be kinda surprisingly humid and warm

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Last 5 days of July are averaging 80.5*, or 4degs. AN.

Month to date is  +2.8[79.4].       July should end near  +3.0[79.6].

73.9* here at 6am.    75.0* by 7:30am.    77.1* at 9am.   79.1* by Noon, and cumulus clouds once again to west.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, bluewave said:

No let up in sight for this record breaking -NAO. Looks like Greenland will experience their highest 500 mb heights on record for this time of year. So this could eventually mean a return to stormer conditions.

E808CEAB-E09A-4032-A0A2-E952EC6355DB.thumb.png.17fe0449842b8c0a41ab9cf40d2e1fe9.png

That would be great, let’s keep the wet times rolling. If we can translate this into next winter things will really get interesting.

Marine life is on an incredible upswing. Daily dolphins, tuna, rays and the occasional whales at Jones Beach this summer. It’s incredible  to see. I saw tuna flying through the air chasing bait fish only a few feet from shore yesterday!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1