Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

17 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Islip dropped to 95 but is back up to 97 between hours.   They likely won't hit 100.  

Same here, dropped to 94 and now back at 98. If it weren’t for the clouds ISP and here probably could’ve made it.

10 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That ASOS is bizarre because while some days it seems that the trees around it impact it others it doesn’t.  I mean it reached 100 no problem a few times in 2011 I think and wasn’t off from EWR or LGA much those days so there has to be other factors.  I recall back in the 90s NYC always seemed to peak at noon or 1 and then never moved after that while the other stations all did.  One Met I’ve spoken too said he believed that was a product of higher pollution and smog levels over the city back then which now aren’t present 

8 more years of vegetation growth since 2011

12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That ASOS is bizarre because while some days it seems that the trees around it impact it others it doesn’t.  I mean it reached 100 no problem a few times in 2011 I think and wasn’t off from EWR or LGA much those days so there has to be other factors.  I recall back in the 90s NYC always seemed to peak at noon or 1 and then never moved after that while the other stations all did.  One Met I’ve spoken too said he believed that was a product of higher pollution and smog levels over the city back then which now aren’t present 

Even in 2011 and check 2006 big discrepancies from LGA, EWR, New Brunswick etc.  2011 had been dry ahead of the week long heat wave.  Issue is clearly the overgrowth and not a sensor or calibration. 

1 minute ago, SACRUS said:

Even in 2011 and check 2006 big discrepancies from LGA, EWR, New Brunswick etc.  2011 had been dry ahead of the week long heat wave.  Issue is clearly the overgrowth and not a sensor or calibration. 

NYC May have tied the all-time record of 106 back in 2011 if the sensor was in the original location prior to 1996.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I wasn’t aware it was even moved at any point in the last 50 years 

They moved the thermometer from the castle to under the trees in late 1995 when the NWS was doing the ASOS modernization plan. The deep shade under the trees is several degrees cooler now than the old open sun readings before the new ASOS was installed. 

6 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

It looks like 99 is going to do it here. Congrats to those who made it to 100

I am holding at 99.3* for 15mins., here in CI.      By made it to a 100, I hope you mean age!-----those who made it to 100*+ have passed away.   Lol.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

They moved the thermometer from the castle to under the trees in late 1995 when the NWS was doing the ASOS modernization plan. The deep shade under the trees is several degrees cooler now than the old open sun readings before the new ASOS was installed. 

Thanks i thought they moved in in 94.  Just a bad representation of the city in the heat.  Often 2 - 4 below and days like today 3-7 cooler than surrounding or nearby sites.

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That would make sense since there were several hundreds in 1993 and 1995 I believe 

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

That would make sense since there were several hundreds in 1993 and 1995 I believe 

Some of the equipment may have been moved as early as 1992. That is the first mention of obstructions. NYC was very close with Newark for warm season high temperatures during the 1970’s and 1980’s. It was even a warmer spot than LGA on numerous occasions. But things really shifted after the 1990’s. 

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCND/stations/GHCND:USW00094728/detail

Topography Descriptions

TOPOGRAPHY BEGIN DATE¹ END DATE¹
HIGHEST POINT IN CENTRAL PARK. NATURAL ENVIRONMENT SURROUNDED BY SKYSCRAPERS ON ALL SIDES, HIGHEST TO SOUTH. HEAVILY POPULATED. HUDSON RIVER IS LOCATED 1 MILE WEST. EQUIPMENT IS LOCATED ON A STONE BASE IN A FENCED IN ENCLOSURE WITH TREES ON ALL SIDES JUST SOUTH OF BELVEDERE CASTLE. 2017-08-01 Present
HIGHEST POINT IN CENTRAL PARK. NATURAL ENVIRONMENT SURROUNDED BY SKYSCRAPERS ON ALL SIDES, HIGHEST TO SOUTH. HEAVILY POPULATED. HUDSON RIVER IS LOCATED 1 MILE WEST. EQUIPMENT IS LOCATED ON A STONE BASE IN A FENCED IN ENCLOSURE WITH TREES ON ALL SIDES JUST SOUTH OF BELVEDERE CASTLE. 2016-06-15 2017-08-01
HIGHEST POINT IN CENTRAL PARK. NATURAL ENVIRONMENT. HEAVILY POPULATED. HUDSON RIVER 1 MI WEST 1992-01-01 2016-06-15

Obstruction Descriptions

OBSTRUCTIONS BEGIN DATE¹ END DATE¹
TREES 2017-08-01 Present
TREE 020-340 deg 25-25 ft 20-54 deg 2016-06-15 2017-08-01
HYGR 090/4 TREES ENCIRLCE/25/20-54 IN FENCED ENCOLSURE 50 FT X 25 TH 1995-06-27 2016-06-15
UNIV 050/4 CRS 180/9 H083 SENSOR 200/8 TB 220/20 TREES ENCIRCLE/25/20-54 EQUIPMENT IN FENCED ENCLOSURE 50 FEET X 25 FEET 1992-01-01

Here is a great article that explains how LGA was often cooler than Central Park back in the 1970’s. I didn’t realize how much vandalism was an issue for the weather station at the castle.

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/07/22/archives/vandals-in-central-park-forcing-weather-service-to-seek-new-site.html

Vandalism Disrupts Work

“Mostly we suffer from malicious destruction,” Mr. Gibson said. “The problem up here can be as little as somebody pulling a circuit‐breaker switch that stops the current and halts the measurements. But from our standpoint, that's almost as bad as stealing all the equipment—it disrupts our work.”

The last break‐in occurred two weeks ago. The thermometer was not damaged, but the anemometer, which meastures wind speeds, was stolen, and other equipment has not functioned properly since.

When the devices at the castle are not functioning, the Weather Service substitutes readings from La Guardia Airport. But Mr. Gibson said those readings do not really reflect conditions in the city, because they may be several degrees cooler in summer or warmer in winter than those in Central Park.

• Like 1

Just now, bluewave said:

Here is a great article that explains how LGA was often cooler than Central Park back in the 1970’s. I dint realize how much vandalism was an issue for the weather station at the castle.

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/07/22/archives/vandals-in-central-park-forcing-weather-service-to-seek-new-site.html

Vandalism Disrupts Work

“Mostly we suffer from malicious destruction,” Mr. Gibson said. “The problem up here can be as little as somebody pulling a circuit‐breaker switch that stops the current and halts the measurements. But from our standpoint, that's almost as bad as stealing all the equipment—it disrupts our work.”

The last break‐in occurred two weeks ago. The thermometer was not damaged, but the anemometer, which meastures wind speeds, was stolen, and other equipment has not functioned properly since.

When the devices at the castle are not functioning, the Weather Service substitutes readings from La Guardia Airport. But Mr. Gibson said those readings do not really reflect conditions in the city, because they may be several degrees cooler in summer or warmer in winter than those in Central Park.

I also suspect they like the wooded location in The Park because it's not that obvious to passerbys who made be tempted to vandalize it. In an open field its be very tempting in such a populated area.

Did LGA hit 100 btwn hrs?

• Like 1

Just a brutal day for me. I have been running a hose over myself. I have been watering non stop. If you want award winning horticulture it’s a necessity 

https://www.prix-versailles.com/2019-campuses

won an award for our new building. If anyone’s interest click the link and you can see the terraces I maintain. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Kind of odd JFK saw their highest temps after the winds shifted SW.  Maybe all that warm air over coastal NJ came into play.  

looks like it was just W enough to have little trajectory over the bay over the past 30 min. any farther north and it would probably be 100 there.

914394373_ScreenShot2019-07-21at4_49_37PM.png.e656d85d0eb5b966c6e78a9fa1ab6ac3.png

• Like 2